BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
AECDY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

1200 Service X5M

Found a 2017 for sale with 4,400 miles on the clock. The 1200 service was not done until 3,000. The dealer will not certified it. I had done some research and could not find a straight answer. Do I have to worry about warranty claims?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AECDY View Post
Found a 2017 for sale with 4,400 miles on the clock. The 1200 service was not done until 3,000. The dealer will not certified it. I had done some research and could not find a straight answer. Do I have to worry about warranty claims?

Thanks
Dealer likely doesn't want to pay the cost to certify because there is so much time/miles remaining on the original factory warranty.
Awesome finding such a low mileage F85.
      03-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Why wasn't the service done? 1200 mile service could be the most important service. That's a lot of miles past the service interval.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AECDY View Post
Do I have to worry about warranty claims
It may not have the original warranty either which is why they may not be able to certify it. I have a relationship with three different dealers in various locations who have serviced my M vehicles and they all state that the first service interval is very important. If missed BMW could void warranty. Considering the amount of vehicles out there I wouldn't even bother with this one since you're already starting off with some uncertainty and doubt.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
It may not have the original warranty either which is why they may not be able to certify it. I have a relationship with three different dealers in various locations who have serviced my M vehicles and they all state that the first service interval is very important. If missed BMW could void warranty. Considering the amount of vehicles out there I wouldn't even bother with this one since you're already starting off with some uncertainty and doubt.
+1 If the 1200 mile service is not done withing a certain interval, BMW will not allow dealers to CPO the car.

Do cars that miss this service all blow up at 20k miles? No. Do non-M vehicles require this service? No. Does the M share a lot of parts with the 5.0? Yes.

To me the risk is low but you need to buy this at the right price anticipating there may be additional repairs down the road.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      03-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

If factory warranty is void and or CPO is not an option but plan to keep long term... One would have to purchase the vehicle at wholesale or close to in an effort to offset the cost of a fidelity warranty or similar which could around $4k or so depending on which you person. In my opinion there are far better options out there and any money saved up front will quickly be wiped out on the back end once repair bills start piling up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
If factory warranty is void and or CPO is not an option but plan to keep long term... One would have to purchase the vehicle at wholesale or close to in an effort to offset the cost of a fidelity warranty or similar which could around $4k or so depending on which you person. In my opinion there are far better options out there and any money saved up front will quickly be wiped out on the back end once repair bills start piling up.
One also has to remember that some if not most 3rd party extended warranties want to see that all maintenance services are done and that the factory warranty is still in effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
AECDY
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Why wasn't the service done? 1200 mile service could be the most important service. That's a lot of miles past the service interval.
I do not know. This car just show up and caught my attention due to the low miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
AECDY
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. The dealer says that the original warranty is still valid. I am staying away from this one.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      03-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
AECDY
First Lieutenant
Rep

I decided to ask BMWNA the question and here is what I received,

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding the 2017 BMW X5 M.

The BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date. The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not, however, cover damage, including consequential, which results from negligence, misuse/improper operation of the vehicle, improper repair, lack of or improper maintenance, use of improper filters (including oil filters), environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage, road salt corrosion, or the use of improper fuel as described in the Owner’s Manual or contaminated fuel.

Additionally, damage to the engine, transmission or any related component caused by improper shifting of the transmission as well as damage to the paint finish due to stone chips, nicks, dents, acid rain, industrial fallout, other environmental influences, and normal deterioration, such as fading, discoloration, or loss of luster, improper care/repair of “matte” paint finishes, as well as damage caused by lack of maintenance, excessive rubbing, the use of improper cleaners, polishes and/or waxes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Likewise, maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant, and refrigerant as well as modification of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks and wind noise are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Detailed information on the New Vehicle Limited Warranty can be found in the Warranty Book for the vehicle as well. Should you need it, PDF copies of assorted Warranty Books can be found by visiting our website at https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html.

Our Customer Relations and Services team is here for you. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

We hope you find this information helpful; thank you again for writing to us.
Appreciate 0