BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
dadzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60

Need help finding non-dealer service

I am feeling badly for a friend of mine. Just 7,000 miles after he bought my 2014 X5 M-sport, the drivers seat quit working. It has apprx. 60,000 miles and no extended warranty. Local dealer told him with new parts and programming, he is looking at a bill of around $1600. I have worked with this dealer before and found them to be fair and honest but $1600 is a big hit.

My friend lives in the Minneapolis/St Paul area and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good independent shop he can get a second opinion from. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
It depends on what is wrong with the seat. You can buy your own parts and repair things yourself or at an indy shop. You can find parts on Ebay or if you can get a good price you can buy parts online, or if your relationship with the dealer parts department is good you can get the parts from the dealer.

Sometimes the dealer service department "buys" from their own parts department, but charges a markup on the part (it's weird I know) and you can save by buying the same parts from the same parts department and have the service department install them… though I don't really recommend this because usually the problem is dealer hourly rates are very high. I recommend finding an indy mechanic to fix this for you (or your friend).