BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
Samuaron
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m

brakes and rotors

Hi everyone,
I just bought a ‘17 x5M shy of 35000 miles. Previous owner mentioned that I’ll need brakes soon, took the car to the dealership recently and I was told that I will need brakes soon as well. However, the dealership also mentioned to me that whenever brakes are changed, so should the rotors regardless if they are worn or not. My question is, what do you guys think? I am pretty handy and can switch my own brake pads, but curious if at 35000 miles I need to switch the rotors too or I can use these through the new set of brake pads and get new rotors the next time around. I am new here and this is my first post, if this has already been covered, I apologize. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. Thanks.
Ps. For pads, is the consensus still powerstops > OEM d/t dust?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Rotors (discs) should be replaced when they’ve meet minimum thickness…regardless of the mileage. Have the rotors measured to determine if they have met the minimum requirement.

Also, BMW offers BMW value service pricing for BMWs that are over 60 months old..have you checked to see if any of your local BMW dealerships offer these services? You can click the following link, and input your zip code, then select a local dealer and input your model/model year to see what the value pricing is. If you have more than one dealership in you area…check all of them. The services offered and the pricing may vary: https://bmwusaservice.com/valueservice

BTW…what does the CBS services say in iDrive…you should be getting messages…as well as being able to go directly to the service screen to see the date & mileage left before a service is due. A red warning means over or past due, amber means the service is coming due…and green means you have a while. But you can still check the mileage and/or date that the service is possibly due.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-16-2023 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #3
Samuaron
United_States
Rep

Qsilver7 , thanks for your reply. I do have a dealership about 7 miles from my place, and they do offer these services. I plan on going there to do my oil change here in a few days.
I am attaching images of what I saw under my vehicle status menu. In the menu, it appears I’ll need rear brake pads much sooner than fronts, I’d imagine doing both at the same time.
Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

It will be important to get a rotor thickness measurement to determine if they need to be replaced. With that said, I got my 17 2.5 years ago with just under 35k miles and immediately replaced the pads with Powerstops. Have about 52k miles now and still on same rotors. Recent dealer service did not indicate they needed replacing yet. I don't know if these are the original rotors, but if they are, they are holding strong.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #5
Samuaron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
It will be important to get a rotor thickness measurement to determine if they need to be replaced. With that said, I got my 17 2.5 years ago with just under 35k miles and immediately replaced the pads with Powerstops. Have about 52k miles now and still on same rotors. Recent dealer service did not indicate they needed replacing yet. I don't know if these are the original rotors, but if they are, they are holding strong.
Hi, that’s the next step, I’ll go get the rotors measured this coming week and will update. I sure do hope that I am in a similar situation like yours. If it ends up being that I don’t need rotors. I’ll install the powerstops as well. How has the ownership been the past 2.5 yrs?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuaron View Post
Hi, that’s the next step, I’ll go get the rotors measured this coming week and will update. I sure do hope that I am in a similar situation like yours. If it ends up being that I don’t need rotors. I’ll install the powerstops as well. How has the ownership been the past 2.5 yrs?
It's been great. Worry free with the only unexpected repair being for the common front axle click. That was cheap. Switching to the Powerstops was the biggest win early in my ownership. It squealed like a city bus with the stock pads. Not a peep out of them for over 2 years now.

My only minor complaint is that I wish the exhaust had more rumble inside the car. Sounds great outside, but too muted inside.

Enjoy yours. What color combo?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:59 PM   #7
Samuaron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
It's been great. Worry free with the only unexpected repair being for the common front axle click. That was cheap. Switching to the Powerstops was the biggest win early in my ownership. It squealed like a city bus with the stock pads. Not a peep out of them for over 2 years now.

My only minor complaint is that I wish the exhaust had more rumble inside the car. Sounds great outside, but too muted inside.

Enjoy yours. What color combo?
Nice! So mine is Long Beach blue with brown Merino leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 12:25 AM   #8
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Here some info that may help you out. Read all of the thread.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1924480
      05-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
SCar24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuaron View Post
Hi everyone,
I just bought a ‘17 x5M shy of 35000 miles. Previous owner mentioned that I’ll need brakes soon, took the car to the dealership recently and I was told that I will need brakes soon as well. However, the dealership also mentioned to me that whenever brakes are changed, so should the rotors regardless if they are worn or not. My question is, what do you guys think? I am pretty handy and can switch my own brake pads, but curious if at 35000 miles I need to switch the rotors too or I can use these through the new set of brake pads and get new rotors the next time around. I am new here and this is my first post, if this has already been covered, I apologize. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice. Thanks.
Ps. For pads, is the consensus still powerstops > OEM d/t dust?
If the rotors have enough thickness, but are maybe pitted or have slight grooves, just have a machine shop put them in a lathe and machine them down. They will both look and be as new.

Have done this several times myself, workes great.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCar24 View Post
If the rotors have enough thickness, but are maybe pitted or have slight grooves, just have a machine shop put them in a lathe and machine them down. They will both look and be as new.

Have done this several times myself, workes great.
I've contemplated doing this on my E63 AMG several years ago, but couldn't find any machine shops willing to do the work. All of them told me, that they no longer do this type of work, as there isn't any money in it. So, I just replaced them. Because when you get a pulsation in the brake pedal from warped rotors, the molecular structure of the metal has been altered, and no machining will remove that defect. As the metal in the rotors will heat up at different rates, and the pulsation will return. Just saying.
      05-21-2023, 05:40 AM   #11
SCar24
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I've contemplated doing this on my E63 AMG several years ago, but couldn't find any machine shops willing to do the work. All of them told me, that they no longer do this type of work, as there isn't any money in it. So, I just replaced them. Because when you get a pulsation in the brake pedal from warped rotors, the molecular structure of the metal has been altered, and no machining will remove that defect. As the metal in the rotors will heat up at different rates, and the pulsation will return. Just saying.
I have to say I know nothing about the molecular structure of the metal, so I won't go there, I just know that I have had this done several times to clean up worn, grooved or rusted rotors to great effect.

Whether or not this complies to warped rotors I don't know, but there is a lot of literature out there claiming machining is a solution to fix that specific problem as well and to give them new life. Obviously staying within the minimum requirements for thickness stamped on the rotors.

I see where the dealership is coming from saying they should be replaced with the pads, this is more revenue for them, but this seems a bit overkill considering the rotors have a lifespan completely different to the pads. It's not like it uncommon to just replace the pads, and if the rotors should need some attention, I would definitely check if they were a candidate for machining.

Last edited by SCar24; 05-21-2023 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 06:22 AM   #12
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
I have to say I know nothing about the molecular structure of the metal, so I won't go there, I just know that I have had this done several times to clean up worn, grooved or rusted rotors to great effect.

Whether or not this complies to warped rotors I don't know, but there is a lot of literature out there claiming machining is a solution to fix that specific problem as well and to give them new life. Obviously staying within the minimum requirements for thickness stamped on the rotors.

I see where the dealership is coming from saying they should be replaced with the pads, this is more revenue for them, but this seems a bit overkill considering the rotors have a lifespan completely different to the pads. It's not like it uncommon to just replace the pads, and if the rotors should need some attention, I would definitely check if they were a candidate for machining.
I forgot to mention, but numerous shops told me, that they will not machine rotors that are crossed drilled, as the holes tend to break their resurfacing bits off.
      05-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #13
mstgeer
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 017 F85 Donnington Grey, Arago

I just glass bead blasted the rotors of my '17X5M and installed z23 pads yesterday and bed them in. So far so good. Will report back if any issues arise
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 07:33 AM   #14
SCar24
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I forgot to mention, but numerous shops told me, that they will not machine rotors that are crossed drilled, as the holes tend to break their resurfacing bits off.
Considering you can machine a square block into a cylinder shape, I would have to say they are being a bit to aggressive when machining if they are breaking bits on those holes.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 05:06 AM   #15
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Considering you can machine a square block into a cylinder shape, I would have to say they are being a bit to aggressive when machining if they are breaking bits on those holes.
True..... But that's what multiple shops told me. So, I just bought new rotors, and called it a day.