BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #111
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Have a Navitimer I bought back in 2005 but this one arrives tomorrow. Can't wait! My watch has the stainless steel bracelet though I will likely pick on a rubber strap as well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #112
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I'm not a fan of Breitling, however that one looks nice. I like it because it's not busy looking. What model is it, and what does it retail for? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #113
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It is an Avenger II Seawolf with cobra yellow dial. Retail with the steel bracelet is $4,150 but my local authorized dealer gave me a great discount, almost to the level of some gray market outlets...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #114
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Omega is a much better watch imo. I own two (fairly current and vintage seamasters). Here is my collection.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #115
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoJax View Post
Try this "Grey Market Dealer" in Canada (Toronto Area). watch finder.ca

Really like the new Omega Speedmaster "Dark Side Of the Moon" Watch. Will be my next watch this summer.
I just ordered this after waiting for it to come to an AD. Hopefully a it arrives soon.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #116
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
You might want to proofread what you just wrote.

I think all in all you are getting a better watch with an Omega, however Breitlings tend to be flashier and are more trendy right now in my opinion. I think that the general design of Omega watches is much more "timeless" than those of Breitling. IMO there's more of a "macho" factor to Breitling's as well with their aggressive styling and larger than average dials.

I think Omega makes the best "mass market" luxury watch out there; They both spend a ton on advertising (Breitling spends more), so you aren't getting something that no one else has by any stretch of the imagination. And everyone has their own opinion of each of them. I will say that they both make a high quality product.
This ^

I own a Breitling, but given the choice today, I'd go with an Omega PO in 45.5mm
      02-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #117
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

So, boots, seeing as Christmas is long gone and once again approaching, what did you decide to go with, Omega or Breitling?

I don't think you'll have got a bad watch either way, and as I said before, what you are collecting/buying for would give me a reason to suggest one specific watch over another. At the brand level, there's just not much point in comparing as both make several models and each has its strengths and weaknesses against the competing alternatives.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #118
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Omega is far superior in my mind in terms of design and their new coaxel movements.

Bretling seems to try to hard in their designs. I don't like overly flashy watches cause they seem cheap to me. Eg Bentley edition w diamond cut bezel and high polished band links.

Omega to me is a much more classy understated watch.

IMO if you want a nicer watch get a sub c ceramic. That's the next step after omega in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #119
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Omega is far superior in my mind in terms of design and their new coaxel movements.

Bretling seems to try to hard in their designs. I don't like overly flashy watches cause they seem cheap to me. Eg Bentley edition w diamond cut bezel and high polished band links.

Omega to me is a much more classy understated watch.

IMO if you want a nicer watch get a sub c ceramic. That's the next step after omega in my mind.
Do you mean like this watch? While over all I don't disagree, all watch makers turn out some ghastly designs and I'd say this Omega was a bit overdone in my opinion. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. I love some of the Omega watches and will likely add one to my collection some day soon.

It's no different with our M3's. I drive a space grey M3, understated in my view. Some people like melbourne red or phoenix yellow. Those colors are bit loud for my tastes... Doesn't mean they are not great cars, just not my choice of colors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #120
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Do you mean like this watch? While over all I don't disagree, all watch makers turn out some ghastly designs and I'd say this Omega was a bit overdone in my opinion. Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste. I love some of the Omega watches and will likely add one to my collection some day soon.

It's no different with our M3's. I drive a space grey M3, understated in my view. Some people like melbourne red or phoenix yellow. Those colors are bit loud for my tastes... Doesn't mean they are not great cars, just not my choice of colors.
Ohh wow that is bad. Lol.

I'm thinking of the classics. Seamaster,po,deville etc. Yea every brand unfortunalty has a few really bad pieces.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #121
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I love watches but the diamonds are way too much. Pushes the watch beyond a tool for telling time to flashy jewelry. No way I would ever buy one but clearly there are people out there paying for them!

Edit: But if you're interested in the red Omega, I grabbed the pic off the Tourneau website while looking through the pre-owned section!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #122
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Ohh wow that is bad. Lol.

I'm thinking of the classics. Seamaster,po,deville etc. Yea every brand unfortunalty has a few really bad pieces.
+1, didn't know omega made such a clunker.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #123
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post

What's wrong with that watch? Isn't it still a Speedy? Sure, the diamonds make it pricier, but it's still a fine watch.

FWIW, most diamond studded watches look a hell of a lot better "in the flesh" than they do in pics, even super well done professional gem photographer pics. I know I have yet to see one that doesn't look good in person, be it on my wrist or someone else's.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #124
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^ I didn't say anything was "wrong" with the watch, just not to my taste. Simply expressing my opinion on the diamonds in the bezel, not my cup of tea...

Last edited by kscarrol; 02-24-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #125
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

I think both brands are great. I personally favor Omega but a Navitimer 01 is just as nice as the newer 9300 speedy.

Also note that the diamond omega speedmaster posted is a ladies watch. My wife has that but all in white. Both Omega and Breitling make diamond bezel watches for men and women but most are for women.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #126
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, boots, seeing as Christmas is long gone and once again approaching, what did you decide to go with, Omega or Breitling?

I don't think you'll have got a bad watch either way, and as I said before, what you are collecting/buying for would give me a reason to suggest one specific watch over another. At the brand level, there's just not much point in comparing as both make several models and each has its strengths and weaknesses against the competing alternatives.

All the best.
Hi tony

The boss asked me to wait as we are in the process of a large land purchase which is the smart thing for now. But to answer your question on the one I will choose, it will be the omega. I guess there's just something about it that looks good. But the brietling is just as nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #127
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Hi tony

The boss asked me to wait as we are in the process of a large land purchase which is the smart thing for now. But to answer your question on the one I will choose, it will be the omega. I guess there's just something about it that looks good. But the brietling is just as nice.
Well, I can't argue the merits of a watch over land. LOL. Good choice.

They are both nice. It's interesting that you just think the looks of the Omega are more appealing. It's interesting inasmuch as much as folks, "watchies," want to go on and on about this and that feature, construction method, embellishment, etc. making a watch better, the truth is that 85% of the time, no watch is appreciably better at being a watch and doing "watch things" than most any other watch.

I think watches are at a point now whereby the functional capabilities of damn near all of them from about $300+ is effectively the same. (no, not the grand complication watches, but that's not the realm of watches we are discussing) I say that based on my observations of some of the super cheap Chinese watches I've come across from China. I'm talking about the ones that some dude in the subway station sells out of a paper bag for $10 and that is 100% a fake [insert your favorite pricey brand]. For basic timekeeping/chrono functions, as best as I can tell from my peers who have had some of them for 5+ years now, they do as well as anything I've paid thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars for. Plus being so inexpensive, they don't bother with servicing it. If it dies, well, it just does, and that's that.

With direct exposure to that sort of thing, it really doesn't matter how I feel about the matter of fakes, legit knock-offs and whatnot. The facts I've observed make it clear that there just isn't a need to spend a lot to get a very solid, reliably functioning, basic watch (time only, time + date, or chronograph). As a result, for folks who aren't specifically watch collecting, in the curatorial sense, with a horological purpose, it just makes sense to pick something one likes because it looks good. Fortunately, good looks and price have no direct relationship, even though decorative details and price do.

The Omega you'll eventually buy will be a watch thatI know you'll enjoy. One thing that may be helpful to you, seeing as you are going to wait anyway, is to occasionally peruse the offerings of brands you've not heard of, particularly if you are committed to a dive watch. Damn near every company makes a dive watch of some sort and there's almost no such thing as an poor quality dive watch, regardless of the price point.

I think you'll find that there are lost of nice looking ones at very sane prices -- ~$500 or so, more or less -- that because they aren't very pricey at all you may just want to give one a whirl. Should you do so, what you will find is that those watches won't give you the "ooh ahh factor" that comes from your friends knowing what brand of watch you bought, and by extension how much you spent on it. What you will get is an understanding that you can pretty well buy any watch and get what you want, and if you do decide you really want to collect watches and/or that you just like having lots of them, much as you may like to have lots of shirts or ties, you'll see that you can do just that and get many a cool one for your own enjoyment and not break the bank in the process.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #128
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Thanks for the advice Tony. Actually I did look at the dive watches you had posted for us. There are many that look good and your right that All watches will do the same thing which is keep some sort of time. I'm the cheap kind of guy who will buy those 12 dollar watches and punish them because I don't need something expensive for work. Then when they stop working I get another. Well a couple years ago I bought a decent one for just over 100.00. Best thing I've done for myself and it gets punished and keeps going and still looks new. I find that too many people get caught up in that brand name game or look what I got syndrome or put down others for their purchase. I for one appreciate your spending time to educate us on watches. I learned much from these posts. The watch my father gave me was his that the Navy presented him when he graduated diving school. He is the 2nd Black Saturated Diver. Remember the movie Men Of Honor? Well if the movie wasn't about Carl Brashear, it would have been about my dad. So I sport his dive watch when not working. Anyway, acreage property first and watch 2nd. But I will revisit those cheaper dive watches you posted.

Regards. Boots
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #129
dmsharpe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Ford F-150

Undecided

I've always owned Breitlings but have been looking at Omegas for several months now. As with either brand, finalizing which model seems to take forever...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:59 AM   #130
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

All the best.
It's funny I started this thread a year ago and just yesterday I finally ordered my
Watch. After a long year waiting and diff purchases and learning about watches and what makes them tick I decided to buy the omega planet ocean seamaster 600 in 45.5. I will have it in a few days. I credit this forum and especially tony for his knowledge of this craft so thanks tony. But special thanks goes out to my bro in Cali who is ordering my watch from his jewelry /watch store. I didn't buy it from the omega store as they azz rape you on the price. I will post up a pic when it arrives. I am very happy w this purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #131
zmanH2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320i AW

Quote:
It's funny I started this thread a year ago and just yesterday I finally ordered my
Watch. After a long year waiting and diff purchases and learning about watches and what makes them tick I decided to buy the omega planet ocean seamaster 600 in 45.5. I will have it in a few days. I credit this forum and especially tony for his knowledge of this craft so thanks tony. But special thanks goes out to my bro in Cali who is ordering my watch from his jewelry /watch store. I didn't buy it from the omega store as they azz rape you on the price. I will post up a pic when it arrives. I am very happy w this purchase.
Great choice! It's one of my favorite
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #132
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are very welcome. I'm happy to have been of some help.

I know you'll love your PO when it arrives.

All the best.

Appreciate 0