BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
msultani
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible E93

Ambient Lighting & iDrive Dead

Hey guys, just wanted to make one post for both of these issues.

Ambient lighting: only passenger side dash works, I checked all doors and behind the cluster but all good. I reconnected passenger footwell light when I went to do the driver side, I could not find the actual wire for it anywhere. Can anyone post a pic or video of their wire location?

iDrive: Out of nowhere it just went black. Radio also doesn't work. Checked fuses, fuses #121 is blown, swapped it and it blew right away. I'm guessing a short somewhere but I've never touched anything on this car. Any ideas?

Thank you for any advice!
Car: 2016 x5
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

You do have a short somewhere,don't think this would an easy way to troubleshoot this over the forum. If you don't want to bring it to the shop you can start with ISTA, connect and run some tests. It also contains wiring diagrams and information about connectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
msultani
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible E93

Thanks Red for your reply. I tried ISTA but it just shows the KOMBI as red

I finally found the wiring for the driver side footwell and once connected all the ambient lights starting working again.

I took apart the carpet on the passenger side to trace the wires. When i got to the front passenger fuse box i found out that it has no power at all. Didn't see much else there.
I traced what i think was the power wire for it back to the battery distributor. I tested the non-replaceable fuses and found one was blown.
I don't think this would cause the short or would it? Any way I can test it without replacing the dis box?
Appreciate 0