BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi everyone!

After longs years of driving Benz and crashing to scrap 3 of them in 2020, I finally decided to buy my first beemer. Got the 2017 BMW X5 35d and i love it!
This is my first diesel car and it feels kinda slow so I want to put a chip on it.
How is it done? What brand is good? What can I expect as increase in the power? I guess if anything goes wrong with the engine the warranty won't cover any damages but could I eventually remove it before I go for service? I have 6y extended warranty no limit in mileage.
I know nothing so any help is appreciated!
I am in Toronto.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Welcome!
This thread is a bit dated but still does have a lot of good information here:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1088491
Easiest and most popular choice is RaceChip for piggyback tunes but you can always discover other options. But FYI there are some recent reports that BMW can now see even the piggyback tunes so in case of an issue they might be able to reject some warranty claims. People who doesn't have warranty or don't care usually choose the flash tune since these are always provide better results:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620912
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1525210
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks so much for the info! Much appreciated!

It looks like for best results I would have to also remove some parts from the exhaust system such as ABC DPF EGR and SCR.. which will definitely void the warranty.
If I knew earlier what's the deal with this diesel and the bullshit system that recirculate the exhaust back through the intake I wouldn't buy the extra warranty but instead put the money towards removing those eco shits from my engine.

I also found this chip tuning from AC-SCHNITZER which is plug and play and offered by their partner in Canada BMWLAVAL. There's a big chance they could install it for me and keep my warranty as it is. I will call them Monday and make sure.

It produces 309hp and 494trq and it has 3-5y warranty. It is TUV approved and it has safety system that wouldn't turn the tune on before the engine reaches work temperature and it will turn it off if the engine starts to overheat.
[IMG]https://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/a...stung24952.jpg[/IMG]
https://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/ac-sc...e30d-1301.html
Appreciate 1
Barry_S64.00
      01-23-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is very interesting, if you decide to go this route please provide some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #5
Barry_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5X35D View Post
Thanks so much for the info! Much appreciated!

It looks like for best results I would have to also remove some parts from the exhaust system such as ABC DPF EGR and SCR.. which will definitely void the warranty.
If I knew earlier what's the deal with this diesel and the bullshit system that recirculate the exhaust back through the intake I wouldn't buy the extra warranty but instead put the money towards removing those eco shits from my engine.

I also found this chip tuning from AC-SCHNITZER which is plug and play and offered by their partner in Canada BMWLAVAL. There's a big chance they could install it for me and keep my warranty as it is. I will call them Monday and make sure.

It produces 309hp and 494trq and it has 3-5y warranty. It is TUV approved and it has safety system that wouldn't turn the tune on before the engine reaches work temperature and it will turn it off if the engine starts to overheat.
[IMG]https://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/a...stung24952.jpg[/IMG]
https://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/ac-sc...e30d-1301.html
I don't see a cost on that site. Do you know what it is?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:12 AM   #6
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I'm going to call bmw Laval on Monday and get all the info and pricing as well.
Appreciate 1
Barry_S64.00
      01-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
Barry_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm going to call bmw Laval on Monday and get all the info and pricing as well.
Great. Looking forward to learning what you find out.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I spoke with bmwlaval and we contacted ac-schnitzer and it turned out that there is a slide difference between 30d (European model) and 35d (us model), engine is same but some things on the exhaust are different as well as the injectors. Tey haven't try the flash on the 35d at all. They said they don't even wanna try it because they only work on models for European market. So ac-schnitzer is a dead end. No luck there.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
Barry_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I spoke with bmwlaval and we contacted ac-schnitzer and it turned out that there is a slide difference between 30d (European model) and 35d (us model), engine is same but some things on the exhaust are different as well as the injectors. Tey haven't try the flash on the 35d at all. They said they don't even wanna try it because they only work on models for European market. So ac-schnitzer is a dead end. No luck there.
Thanks for the follow up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #10
mig25
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 35D

Quote:
Hi everyone!
This is my first diesel car and it feels kinda slow so I want to put a chip on it.
Feels kind of slow?? really???? didn't you say you just totalled 3 cars last year? Uhummm just saying.
      01-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
quandary
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

I don't recommend these tuning boxes; go for the ECM recode instead. It's more expensive but the possibility of a failure unit would be in software only. In Newmarket, there is a company that also recodes your car back if you want to hide it from the dealer.

I live in your area and have used several tuning boxes. The increase in torque is fun and very noticeable but the tuning boxes don't last long in our Toronto winters with salted roads. Some of these manufacturers have tried to epoxy the seals to protect the boxes. In my experiences, they have lasted about 2 years before moisture gets inside and you start to get engine codes.

One other precaution is that there might be longer term impacts. (I would still do the ECM tune but am going to do the EGR delete at the same time. You will see why in what follows.) I had a VW TDI with the ECM upgrade for 10 years. Every 150k, the richer fuel mixture left residual soot inside the engine. This was a big job to fix because the stuck EGR valve and clogged manifolds would send the car into limp mode. The X5 has a high and low flow exhaust path so this might not be an issue but i have not been able to go more than 5 years in "tuned" mode. Maybe others in the area can report on if they have a soot buildup problem.

Get the ECM tune! It will definitely feel like a different car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandary View Post
I don't recommend these tuning boxes; go for the ECM recode instead. It's more expensive but the possibility of a failure unit would be in software only. In Newmarket, there is a company that also recodes your car back if you want to hide it from the dealer.

I live in your area and have used several tuning boxes. The increase in torque is fun and very noticeable but the tuning boxes don't last long in our Toronto winters with salted roads. Some of these manufacturers have tried to epoxy the seals to protect the boxes. In my experiences, they have lasted about 2 years before moisture gets inside and you start to get engine codes.

One other precaution is that there might be longer term impacts. (I would still do the ECM tune but am going to do the EGR delete at the same time. You will see why in what follows.) I had a VW TDI with the ECM upgrade for 10 years. Every 150k, the richer fuel mixture left residual soot inside the engine. This was a big job to fix because the stuck EGR valve and clogged manifolds would send the car into limp mode. The X5 has a high and low flow exhaust path so this might not be an issue but i have not been able to go more than 5 years in "tuned" mode. Maybe others in the area can report on if they have a soot buildup problem.

ECM tunes are best without any doubt but if your car is under warranty you can't really go that route. ISTA now detects and flags tunes during scan,even you flashed it back to stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...now_autoflags/
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #13
X5X35D
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig25 View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Feels kind of slow?? really???? didn't you say you just totalled 3 cars last year? Uhummm just saying.
Lol yeah I did. Thankfully I'm alive and not scared to push the gas pedal. Maybe I have a screw loose, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quandary View Post

ECM tunes are best without any doubt but if your car is under warranty you can't really go that route. ISTA now detects and flags tunes during scan,even you flashed it back to stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...now_autoflags/
Well it looks like I'll just keep the car as it is until the warranty expires and only then I'll tune it.. if still have it by then tho
Appreciate 0