BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2021, 02:14 AM   #23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on suspension components. So are the tension struts (aka control arms) the same assembly as the Meyle upper control arms part numbers you provided in your prior post?

Its usually always the lower control arms upper control arms rarely go bad but possible at 100k. As for lower control arms there are 2 in the front you have the tension strut which is the front lower forward arm then you have the wishbone which is the front lower rearward arm. If its the bushings on struts then stick with oem there only 50-60$ each also check on realoem the bushings differ based on if you have active steering or not.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 04:58 AM   #24
Xstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35iX (gone)

Quote:
You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge on suspension components. So are the tension struts (aka control arms) the same assembly as the Meyle upper control arms part numbers you provided in your prior post? I was just reading up on "Suspension Control Arm Failure Symptoms" and I've def experienced the following:

Buckling noise emanating from the suspension
Shutter or vibration coming from the steering wheel at highway speed
Wandering or pulling sensation from side to side felt on the steering wheel

So I did the spark plugs around 70K miles but bypassed both the TC and diff fluid replacement mainly due to the cost of the TC service since it requires a ISTA. My indy wanted $1000 to preform the service. I take it you replaced the upper control arms yourself? How long did the job take you?

Of topic, but are you a Mastercraft wakeboard/surf boat fan? I saw your screen name was Xstar.
See suspension components on the attachment
#8 tension strut
#9 tension strut bushing
#19 upper control arm

You might reconsider replacing the fluids. It is a lot cheaper having to replace the transfer case. Maybe seek out a different Indy for a better price. Try https://www.bimmershops.com

It took me about 2 hours to replace the upper control arms. I used 15mm and 16mm speed wrenches which definitely helped the job go quicker. I had to detach the brake distributor for working clearance on the passenger side. Replacing the rear bolt on the driver side was challenging. In order to avoid removing the whole strut assembly I used compact spring compressors and a crow bar to finagle the bolt past an obstructing spring coil.

Xstar has no particular meaning. I can barely swim let alone surf.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RealOEM.com X5 F15 Front Suspension.pdf (67.2 KB, 126 views)
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #25
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstar View Post
See suspension components on the attachment
#8 tension strut
#9 tension strut bushing
#19 upper control arm

You might reconsider replacing the fluids. It is a lot cheaper having to replace the transfer case. Maybe seek out a different Indy for a better price. Try https://www.bimmershops.com

It took me about 2 hours to replace the upper control arms. I used 15mm and 16mm speed wrenches which definitely helped the job go quicker. I had to detach the brake distributor for working clearance on the passenger side. Replacing the rear bolt on the driver side was challenging. In order to avoid removing the whole strut assembly I used compact spring compressors and a crow bar to finagle the bolt past an obstructing spring coil.

Xstar has no particular meaning. I can barely swim let alone surf.
Curious as to why you chose to replace upper control arms, and not just the bushings when the most common failure point is the bushings? I'm leaning toward replacing just the bushings. Both the upper control arm bushings (#21 on diagram) and the lower tensioner strut bushings (#9 on diagram). I like your thoughts are going with the Meyle HD bushings. You listed part # Meyle HD #3003112914/HD for the tensioner strut bushings (#9), but google brought me to the following website: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/311290...RoCVewQAvD_BwE in which it said it would not fit my vehicle? In an earlier post you listed the Meyle part #'s for the whole upper control arm assembly. Do you happen to know the Meyle part # for just the bushings? Also, does your X5 have active steering? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't. Appreciate all the help!

Did you have perform the TC fluid replacement yourself or have it done? If the later, mind sharing what you paid. Appreciate the link you provided. There's 2 shops that site suggested in my area I'm going to call and get prices for on monday.

Last edited by M302_imola; 01-23-2021 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
Xstar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Curious as to why you chose to replace upper control arms, and not just the bushings when the most common failure point is the bushings? I'm leaning toward replacing just the bushings. Both the upper control arm bushings (#21 on diagram) and the lower tensioner strut bushings (#9 on diagram). I like your thoughts are going with the Meyle HD bushings. You listed part # Meyle HD #3003112914/HD for the tensioner strut bushings (#9), but google brought me to the following website: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/311290...RoCVewQAvD_BwE in which it said it would not fit my vehicle? In an earlier post you listed the Meyle part #'s for the whole upper control arm assembly. Do you happen to know the Meyle part # for just the bushings? Also, does your X5 have active steering? I'm pretty sure mine doesn't. Appreciate all the help!

Did you have perform the TC fluid replacement yourself or have it done? If the later, mind sharing what you paid. Appreciate the link you provided. There's 2 shops that site suggested in my area I'm going to call and get prices for on monday.
Meyle doesn't sell HD replacement bushings separately for F15 X5 upper control arms. I replaced my upper arms with Meyle HD for more steering feel and I'm quite pleased with the improvement.

A messed up copy-paste. The correct Meyle number for the tension strut bushing is 3146100004/HD. My Bad.

I do not have active steering. I'm less than 60K and have not replaced the TC fluid yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:27 PM   #27
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:

Why not install polyurethane bushings?
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732240
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #28
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstar View Post
Meyle doesn't sell HD replacement bushings separately for F15 X5 upper control arms. I replaced my upper arms with Meyle HD for more steering feel and I'm quite pleased with the improvement.

A messed up copy-paste. The correct Meyle number for the tension strut bushing is 3146100004/HD. My Bad.

I do not have active steering. I'm less than 60K and have not replaced the TC fluid yet.
Oh I see, to bad they don't make replacement bushings for the upper arms. I googled the part #3146100004/HD but I'm not seeing where it fits my '15 X5 35i xdrive. I used the "validate fitment" tab and it wasn't a match. I think part # is for the previous gen X5. I talked to a buddy who has a bushing press and he's willing to help me with the replacement just need to find the correct part # to buy. You've made me a believer that the Meyle replacement bushings are superior to OEM in terms of longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
So I used powerflex poly bushings in my E46 M3 with a racing coilover suspension setup, but I just think that's overkill with my daily SUV. The last thing I want is for my wife to pickup on the sound of a squeaky bushing. She already gets pissed with the brake squeal I have with the first step on the break upon a cold start. I read your thread, which was a great writeup btw and I'm glad you've had good success with the poly bushings. Your post was a good reminder that even though the OEM bushings appear to be in good condition to the naked eye, there was still quite a bit of play that was obviously effecting the feel of the suspension and steering wheel.

At 120K miles I'd be curious as to what failures you've had with the SUV as well as what preventative measures you've taken (other than the powerflex bushing replacement)?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #29
Xstar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I think poly bushings would be fine with regular spring suspension. It seems some may not work properly on vehicles with electronic suspension. I had Powerflex control arm bushing for a while on my X5 w/ air suspension. They did improve handling and steering response but the ride was too bouncy for me after lowering installing (Eibach) lowering springs (on the front and lowering links in the rear).
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #30
M302_imola
Major
Rep

So I've determined the fault is coming from the passenger side front suspension. At 40mph and lower I could hear a thud sound today. Steering felt very loose around a curve and sure enough the traction control started flickering. Something is def loose! I'm thinking either a control arm bushing or strut mount. Guess I need to either have my mechanic take another look or take it to another mechanic. I'm just not sure I'll be able to diagnose it myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #31
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Just ordered new upper control arms: Left Meyle HD 3160500034/HD & Right
Meyle HD 3160500033/HD as well as the lower tension strut bushings. Hoping this fixes my issue or at least I can pin point the issue during the install. I'll update this thread after.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
Good luck! Keep us posted on the results!
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #33
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
Its usually always the lower control arms upper control arms rarely go bad but possible at 100k. As for lower control arms there are 2 in the front you have the tension strut which is the front lower forward arm then you have the wishbone which is the front lower rearward arm. If its the bushings on struts then stick with oem there only 50-60$ each also check on realoem the bushings differ based on if you have active steering or not.
In your statement above in bold, are you referring to #13 or #8? https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#31126864821
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #34
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
In your statement above in bold, are you referring to #13 or #8? https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...59#31126864821
#8 is the front lower forward control arm aka front tension strut aka thrust arms which is what I was referring to
#13 is the front lower rearward control arm aka wishbone

My inlaw is a tech for BMW and when he heard the creaks he knew it was the front tension strut bushing right away. For the most part he noted if it creaks/clunks when the car is flexing, making turns, coming in/out of a driveway all within from a complete stop or at very low speeds its the tension strut bushings. If its rattling/clunking from moderate to high speeds on a straight line or over uneven pavement then its usually the wishbone.

Last edited by 201; 02-21-2021 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #35
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

Recently had my thrust arm bushings replaced master techs way of diagnosing noise was taking me on a test drive to a near gas station proceeded to slowly go in and out of a inclined entrance and surely that's when the noise was consistently present.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #36
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
#8 is the front lower forward control arm aka front tension strut aka thrust arms which is what I was referring to
#13 is the front lower rearward control arm aka wishbone

My inlaw is a tech for BMW and when he heard the creaks he knew it was the front tension strut bushing right away. For the most part he noted if it creaks/clunks when the car is flexing, making turns, coming in/out of a driveway all within from a complete stop or at very low speeds its the tension strut bushings. If its rattling/clunking from moderate to high speeds on a straight line or over uneven pavement then its usually the wishbone.
ok sweet! I have 2 of the #9 replacement bushings sitting in my garage as well as the upper wishbone arms (left and right) as well. They came in last week from FCP Euro. I've got time on this coming sunday to do the install. I'm tired of the clunk and floaty feeling!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #37
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Set out to install both upper arms and lower forward (tensioner strut) control arm bushings this sunday, and only got the passenger side bushing replaced. Took 4 hours to push old bushing out and new one in. That was using a professional press as well. Pain in the ass since the arm is cambered and not flat. If I had it to do again I'd just purchase the whole forward arm w/ bushing intact. On top of that, this was the bushing I really thought was causing the problems (loose feeling and thud sound), but after replacing the thud sound reared its' head really fast. At this point I'm really hoping it's the upper passenger side arm (wishbone) since I'll be replacing these next time my buddy is able to help. Trouble shooting can be a SOB.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #38
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Set out to install both upper arms and lower forward (tensioner strut) control arm bushings this sunday, and only got the passenger side bushing replaced. Took 4 hours to push old bushing out and new one in. That was using a professional press as well. Pain in the ass since the arm is cambered and not flat. If I had it to do again I'd just purchase the whole forward arm w/ bushing intact. On top of that, this was the bushing I really thought was causing the problems (loose feeling and thud sound), but after replacing the thud sound reared its' head really fast. At this point I'm really hoping it's the upper passenger side arm (wishbone) since I'll be replacing these next time my buddy is able to help. Trouble shooting can be a SOB.
Had worn bushing when the car was around 55k miles. The shop suggested to replace the arm along with bushing. It's cheaper and way quicker overall.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #39
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Had worn bushing when the car was around 55k miles. The shop suggested to replace the arm along with bushing. It's cheaper and way quicker overall.
Was it the lower forward arm? If you're paying a shop to do it then I'd say you're correct in it's cheaper to just replace the arm because of the added labor involved. Bushing was about 1/3 the price of a new arm, but I've learned my lesson. Pushing bushings in and out isn't fun. Just pay for the new arm w/ bushing intact.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #40
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Ever get this figured out?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #41
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Yes, finally! I ended up replacing every control on the passenger side. As luck has it, the sound wasn't cured until I changed the lower rearward control (the last of the 3 lowers I installed). Finally got it fixed though and she's quiet again
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      07-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #42
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Yes, finally! I ended up replacing every control on the passenger side. As luck has it, the sound wasn't cured until I changed the lower rearward control (the last of the 3 lowers I installed). Finally got it fixed though and she's quiet again
Have been following this thread. Nice to see the problem solved.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2021, 09:36 PM   #43
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
That's because (and I've said this time and time again) it's ALWAYS the wishbone!!!! Lol always. You will replace it again in 30-40k miles. I'm on my 3rd set.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50
      08-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #44
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
That's because (and I've said this time and time again) it's ALWAYS the wishbone!!!! Lol always. You will replace it again in 30-40k miles. I'm on my 3rd set.
Actually the upper wishbone control arm wasn't my issue. I changed it preventatively on both sides as well as the passenger side lower forward arm at the same time and the squeaking was still audible. The sound wasn't cured until I later replaced the passenger side lower rearward control arm. From my research on here it rarely goes bad, but that was indeed my issue with right at 100K miles.
Appreciate 0