Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5, 2011 E90 M3, 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm assuming these types of tires were mounted for a specific reason?
Going to take his x5 mudding.
Are these tires good for the snow as well? Im contemplating getting these as well for my 19" wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #25
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by John408 View Post
Are these tires good for the snow as well? Im contemplating getting these as well for my 19" wheels
Deep snow or off road perhaps, but for daily driving on paved city roads or snow/ice you will be much better with a dedicated winter tire. The tread pattern on AT tires is not very conducive to stopping on ice, and the rubber is very hard and the tires turn into big hockey pucks when its cold outside.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #26
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
I ran Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers on my 2012 Grand Cherokee and they were fantastic in the snow and pretty good on ice too. They are Mountain/Snowflake rated for severe weather.
Attached Images

Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #27
mig25
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 F15 35D

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezulbeem View Post
Just had these 255/55/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers mounted on my OEM wheels. Very happy with the outcome.
What a nice car! congrats mate!
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #28
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
I ran Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers on my 2012 Grand Cherokee and they were fantastic in the snow and pretty good on ice too. They are Mountain/Snowflake rated for severe weather.
I LOVED my Duratracs on my TJ and my old Yota. Was a night and day difference over the BFG ATs I had previously on my TJ. MN roads in the winter made driving my TJ sketchy at best, but those Duratracs were amazing.

I am looking at getting an extra set of wheels for Duratracs or similar, but they wont be daily driven. I head out west into the mountains often so I'd just rock em for those trips and then swap my summers (or winters) when back home.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #29
ConvertX
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E90 328

Smile 255/55r19 at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertX View Post
By chance did you ever mount tires in that size? I've just purchased an F15 (first X!) and am looking to swap the stock 20" wheels to 19", and run a mild all terrain in 255/55R19 as well. Did some basic measuring and it looks like there's 7/8" between the tread and the upper control arm knuckle (on my 275/40R20s), so they should fit.
Took the plunge, and they fit! Larger diameter than stock but thus far no rubbing on the upper control arm or wheel well. It is possible to recode the car to the new size so the speedometer/odometer/MPG are accurate (though I have yet to attempt).

Tires are the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #30
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
I LOVED my Duratracs on my TJ and my old Yota. Was a night and day difference over the BFG ATs I had previously on my TJ. MN roads in the winter made driving my TJ sketchy at best, but those Duratracs were amazing.

I am looking at getting an extra set of wheels for Duratracs or similar, but they wont be daily driven. I head out west into the mountains often so I'd just rock em for those trips and then swap my summers (or winters) when back home.
I was shocked that they worked so well in all weather and terrain. I’ve been tempted to get a set of 18s and throw some Duratracs or K02s on them.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #31
John408
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post

I was shocked that they worked so well in all weather and terrain. I've been tempted to get a set of 18s and throw some Duratracs or K02s on them.
How about snow? I have been contemplating these type of tires because I hate using chains on an SUV. I just want to pack up and go to Tahoe without worrying about having to put on chains lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #32
IlliniX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

We have Duratracs on our Jeep. Great tire. Rides well, low noise. 50,000 miles and still good tread left. That being said, I put Nokian Hakkapelitta’s on the X and it’s unflappable. We have had snow here and these tires are night and day difference over the All-seasons that were on it last year. We also put the Nitto Grapplers on our sons truck. Nice tire, but a little more road noise than I’d like on the X. To me, the Nokian’s are the way to go.

Last edited by IlliniX5; 02-07-2021 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:17 AM   #33
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about snow? I have been contemplating there type of tires because I hate using chains on an SUV. I just want to pack up and go to Tahoe without worrying about having to put on chains lol
I used them in MN winters and never had issues, and Jeep Wranglers are notorious for being horrid on slippery roads. They are severe weather rated and have some siping in the lugs which helps, but a good winter tire will still outperform them.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
JISIPO
Nicaragua
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i

Quote:
By chance did you ever mount tires in that size? I've just purchased an F15 (first X!) and am looking to swap the stock 20" wheels to 19", and run a mild all terrain in 255/55R19 as well. Did some basic measuring and it looks like there's 7/8" between the tread and the upper control arm knuckle (on my 275/40R20s), so they should fit.
Nop, I am still running the same 255/50R19 since new. But I also think there should be no problem with 255/55R19. I saw on these or other forum someone did install 265/55R19 and did not have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #35
JISIPO
Nicaragua
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 Xdrive 35i

Quote:
Took the plunge, and they fit! Larger diameter than stock but thus far no rubbing on the upper control arm or wheel well. It is possible to recode the car to the new size so the speedometer/odometer/MPG are accurate (though I have yet to attempt).

Very nice!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #36
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
How about snow? I have been contemplating there type of tires because I hate using chains on an SUV. I just want to pack up and go to Tahoe without worrying about having to put on chains lol
Duratracs were great on the Jeep. Took them up to the mountains to ski and hit some forest services roads too for fun. Got me through anything I threw at them. Totally impressed for an AT tire as they also had good on road performance too.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #37
Breezer88
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 N55 M-sport

Quote:
I have nokian hakkapeliitta r3 suv tyres and go up every weekend to Tahoe from December thru April with my X5 for the last 3 years and no problem.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #38
John408
Private
No_Country
Rep

Great feedback everyone!

From the posts and threads, these are the list of tires that I gathered below. I'm looking to remove these RFT's for the best overall tire here. Good for snow, but also good for city and highway driving. I live in Folsom which is 1.25 hr drive to tahoe and 2 hrs from the Bay Area. I visit family in the Bay Area every other weekend and go to ski resorts at least once a month.

Winter tires, from what I gathered are not good for handling on hwys during warmer weather, but AT tires are not so good in the snow, but fine for hwy and streets?

I dont mind noise, instead want an all season type tire that can be used in all conditions (normal driving, rain, snow). Id rather now change wheel sets based on winter or summer.

I have a 35i Xdrive with a square oem 255/50/19 setup.

Thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]

Nokian Hakkapelitta's (winter tire)

Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (all terrains)

Goodyear Duratrac (all terrains)

Nitto Ridge Grapplers (all terrains)

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #39
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great feedback everyone!

From the posts and threads, these are the list of tires that I gathered below. I'm looking to remove these RFT's for the best overall tire here. Good for snow, but also good for city and highway driving. I live in Folsom which is 1.25 hr drive to tahoe and 2 hrs from the Bay Area. I visit family in the Bay Area every other weekend and go to ski resorts at least once a month.

Winter tires, from what I gathered are not good for handling on hwys during warmer weather, but AT tires are not so good in the snow, but fine for hwy and streets?

I dont mind noise, instead want an all season type tire that can be used in all conditions (normal driving, rain, snow). Id rather now change wheel sets based on winter or summer.

Thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]

Winter tires are not recommended for prolonged use in temps above 40F. They will work, but you'll start to burn them up faster as the compound is softer. If your primary driving is above 40F, I wouldnt opt for winters unless you get a second set of wheels and only use them for specific trips.

A/T's (all-terrain) can be just fine in the winter. If they are severe weather rated then they will typically perform better than an all-season, but not as well as a winter tire. Probably the better option if you are primarily over 40F. but it may be more difficult to find appropriate sizes and will likely impact your fuel economy. Also the Duratracs and Grapplers you listed are technically off-road tires, not necessarily all-terrain.

Keep in mind, just because a tire is severe weather rated doesnt mean they can be used without chains when chains are required, you'd have to check the local regulations. Most places I've been state if you have AWD, OR have winter specific tires, you dont need chains, but every area is different.

All-seasons can be just fine as well, just stay away from performance all-seasons. Read reviews one snow and ice performance and pay attention to where those reviews are coming from. Anyone from northern states will have a better understanding of how a tire is actually performing in cold weather vs someone from southern states. Many people use all-seasons here in MN all year.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #40
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great feedback everyone!

Thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]

The Goodyear Duratracs were fantastic in the snow and are severe weather rated. It seems like the best choice for you if you don’t want to swap sets each season. If I were going to put ATs on my X5, those would be it.

Another AT tire to consider is the BFG K02, also has the severe weather rating. No personal experience but my close friend runs them on his G-wagen and says they are fantastic year around and in the snow.

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 11:50 PM   #41
John408
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great feedback everyone!

Thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]

The Goodyear Duratracs were fantastic in the snow and are severe weather rated. It seems like the best choice for you if you don’t want to swap sets each season. If I were going to put ATs on my X5, those would be it.

Another AT tire to consider is the BFG K02, also has the severe weather rating. No personal experience but my close friend runs them on his G-wagen and says they are fantastic year around and in the snow.
Great! Thanks for the advice! I will look into both and look into swapping the RFT's out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #42
kktxod
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5d

BF Goodrich T/A KO2

I have run BF Goodrich T/A KO2 tires on my 2011 X5d. The first set lasted 70k miles and I am on my second set. I absolutely love them. The car rides fine all year round and they are amazing in the snow. I have been places that my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee couldnt handle. On top of this I have towed an Airstream over 30k miles with these tires. And I love the look.

I have bought a 2017 X5d as well with the 20" rims and am frustrated because I can't get the BF Goodrichs for it. The closest size I can get is LT 275/55 R20 which are 31.8" diameter and my stock tires are 28.7" diameter. Also think that the rear rim may be too wide for the 275.
Any suggestions are welcome. I can't find any all terrains that will work.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #43
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Get yourself new rims, square setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #44
webbspies
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:

How did this work out for you? I want to wrap some of these on my 19s? What size is this?
Appreciate 0