BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #23
rbilramz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35d

What should be used as the wedge to pry the original rounders off?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #24
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbilramz
What should be used as the wedge to pry the original rounders off?
Bondo applicator from a local auto parts store is enough not pry and not harm your paint
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Will these gloss black roundels fit the E70 X5M?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #26
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Bondo applicator from a local auto parts store is enough not pry and not harm your paint
Correct! I'd also recommend taping the surrounding ****s with painters tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
Will these gloss black roundels fit the E70 X5M?

Pm sent! The rear roundel on the E70 is different fyi.
      07-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #27
MthreeComp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@IND
One of the nice design elements featured on BMW M models is the menacing shadow-line black trim. Unfortunately, BMW always leave a few key elements in the standard chrome finish. In continuation of supplanting the BMW chrome accents, one of the first area we decided to address was the chrome BMW roundel housing. This piece is a fairly quick DIY and results in creating a more cohesive look on the F85/F86.

IND will also provide clients with the option of painted trunk emblems, side markers, front kidney grills, and of course the vehicle reflectors.

Tools required for this job are as follows:
• Painters Tape
• Bondo spreader

Available for purchase on our website.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...k-roundel-trim

1.) The first and very important step is to protect your vehicles paint. This can be performed with a little bit of painters tape from your local auto parts store or hardware store. Now that you have your painters tape the idea is to make a barrier between where the paint meets the factory chrome roundel trim.

2.) Now that we have a barrier between the factory paint and the nylon trim removal tool, another good idea is to protect the factory roundel trim. We always try our best to preserve the factory piece, so take a piece of painters tape and loop it around the trim. This is not necessary, but you never know if you need to return the vehicle back to exact factory specification.

3) The Roundel and roundel trim are one piece and secured via two tabs as well as a ring of double-sided tape. The double-sided tape is doing most of the work. Carefully place your trim removal tool in the crevice between the body and roundel trim. Rotate the tool around the roundel trim while lightly prying the trim toward your body.

4) As you will notice, it does not take too much pressure to remove this piece from the body. This is especially true for new vehicles. Lightly pull the roundel trim off the vehicle.

5) There will be some leftover residue from the double sided tape. Remove this residue with your fingers or a dab of adhesive remover. After the residue is removed, clean the area with a little quick detailer and make sure it is dry.

6) At this point we also removed the painters tape and cleaned the area with a microfiber and quick detailer.

7) The replacement roundel trim has a ring of double-sided tape pre-installed and ready to go. Simply remove the paper covering and guide the trim into place. Apply light pressure around the roundel to promote adhesion between the double-sided tape and the body.

8) Step back and admire your work. It is often an overused saying, but it truly is the little things that make the difference. Keep an eye out for more cosmetic products and as always let us know if you have any questions or additions to this process.

Comparison Photo:

hey any vids or instructions on installing the front matching reflectors on a f15
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #28
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Just an FYI, make sure those rubber grommets where the two tab/pins go into either stay on the car or get transferred to your new roundel. They help provide a snug fit for the pins and help prevent rattling.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Interesting that they don't offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount like most vendors. About to drop $300 and then I have to pay another $30 for ground ups. Cmon man.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #30
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

They do need to make money so I can understand why they'd charge shipping. It's hard to stay in business especially if you're a small/medium operation. Larger operations can eat the shipping costs.

Anyways, I'd recommend using a fishing line to pry off the adhesive first and then put painter's tape on before using the separator to get the roundel off. I couldn't get it off initially.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #31
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
They do need to make money so I can understand why they'd charge shipping. It's hard to stay in business especially if you're a small/medium operation. Larger operations can eat the shipping costs.

Anyways, I'd recommend using a fishing line to pry off the adhesive first and then put painter's tape on before using the separator to get the roundel off. I couldn't get it off initially.
I used some of that packing straps you'll find on some large boxes. I used the bondo spreader to protect and then slid the straps under. Needed something with strength. Fishing line sounds clutch though
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #32
2euro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50iMSport

Its the little touches that make the car stand out. This is one of the mods I plan on doing as well.

Cart has been set up. Just waiting to make sure I dont need anything else before I hit submit.
      10-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #33
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2euro View Post
Its the little touches that make the car stand out. This is one of the mods I plan on doing as well.

Cart has been set up. Just waiting to make sure I dont need anything else before I hit submit.
It does indeed.
Installed them to a few of my local customers.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #34
KFF_X5M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@IND View Post
One of the nice design elements featured on BMW M models is the menacing shadow-line black trim. Unfortunately, BMW always leave a few key elements in the standard chrome finish. In continuation of supplanting the BMW chrome accents, one of the first area we decided to address was the chrome BMW roundel housing. This piece is a fairly quick DIY and results in creating a more cohesive look on the F85/F86.

IND will also provide clients with the option of painted trunk emblems, side markers, front kidney grills, and of course the vehicle reflectors.

Tools required for this job are as follows:
• Painters Tape
• Bondo spreader

Available for purchase on our website.

https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F85-RTRIM

1.) The first and very important step is to protect your vehicles paint. This can be performed with a little bit of painters tape from your local auto parts store or hardware store. Now that you have your painters tape the idea is to make a barrier between where the paint meets the factory chrome roundel trim.

2.) Now that we have a barrier between the factory paint and the nylon trim removal tool, another good idea is to protect the factory roundel trim. We always try our best to preserve the factory piece, so take a piece of painters tape and loop it around the trim. This is not necessary, but you never know if you need to return the vehicle back to exact factory specification.

3) The Roundel and roundel trim are one piece and secured via two tabs as well as a ring of double-sided tape. The double-sided tape is doing most of the work. Carefully place your trim removal tool in the crevice between the body and roundel trim. Rotate the tool around the roundel trim while lightly prying the trim toward your body.

4) As you will notice, it does not take too much pressure to remove this piece from the body. This is especially true for new vehicles. Lightly pull the roundel trim off the vehicle.

5) There will be some leftover residue from the double sided tape. Remove this residue with your fingers or a dab of adhesive remover. After the residue is removed, clean the area with a little quick detailer and make sure it is dry.

6) At this point we also removed the painters tape and cleaned the area with a microfiber and quick detailer.

7) The replacement roundel trim has a ring of double-sided tape pre-installed and ready to go. Simply remove the paper covering and guide the trim into place. Apply light pressure around the roundel to promote adhesion between the double-sided tape and the body.

8) Step back and admire your work. It is often an overused saying, but it truly is the little things that make the difference. Keep an eye out for more cosmetic products and as always let us know if you have any questions or additions to this process.

[SIZE="5"]Comparison Photo:[/SIZE]

Does the hood rounded also have tabs/pins to keep it properly aligned?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:46 AM   #35
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

I really hope they will be available again at some point!
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      10-09-2021, 11:00 PM   #36
azndrgnkid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB F80, 06 Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
I really hope they will be available again at some point!
I emailed IND a few weeks ago and was told they will be producing more, but no timetable is available yet. Can't tell if they are impacted by shipment or labor issues like many businesses right now as a cause. The rep did say they would put me onto a notification list for when they are made available again.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 12:43 AM   #37
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrgnkid View Post
I emailed IND a few weeks ago and was told they will be producing more, but no timetable is available yet. Can't tell if they are impacted by shipment or labor issues like many businesses right now as a cause. The rep did say they would put me onto a notification list for when they are made available again.
https://ind-distribution.com/blogs/n...inted-roundels
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #38
azndrgnkid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB F80, 06 Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Thanks for sharing the blog. What they described as the fish eye bubbling issue was also common in metalwork/finishing in my experience. The porosity issues as a result of material inconsistencies are something the general consumer public does not think of. Kudos to IND for being diligient in their QC process.

Good thing I have a used set coming in soon - hoping the quality is up to par.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #39
redbeast
redbeast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
2019 BMW X6M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFF_X5M View Post
Does the hood rounded also have tabs/pins to keep it properly aligned?
Yes, they do, they are OEM pieces, I ordered from IND and put it on mine recently. Also got the X6M from them too, great workmanship!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00