BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
iDrive/Nav rebooting mid-drive...not sure what to do at this point

I've been running into an issue the past couple of months in my 2015 X5 35i - I will be driving along, and all of a sudden the iDrive system will reboot. Radio stops, nav shuts down, and the whole system reboots like you're starting the car up initially. This happens mid-ride and random times, sometimes within 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes into a drive, and it will happen a random amount of times in a row. Sometimes once, othertimes up to 5 times.

One of these instances the car actually reset all of my settings, saved radio stations, NAV locations, etc. Full wipe to factory stock.

I've now been to my dealer 3 times trying to solve this issue. First try was to reload the iDrive software, which didn't solve it. 2nd shot was to remove my cell phone paring and remove my USB memory stick I have in the console with my music collection and see if it happened again. It did. 3rd time back, we replaced the head unit, and not 4 hours after picking up my car it happened again.

I will say I'm using a Galaxy Note 9, which appears to be on the BMW approved list, as this was an initial question regarding the issue. This concern was negated though when the system reboot without it connected. Same with the USB stick.

Any one have any thoughts where to go from here? It's so hard to pinpoint the issue and I'm curious if anyone has had this happen to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

The fact that it's loosing memory radio stations,
Navigation locations .. I believe the unit is loosing power completely. The supply power to the brain is getting turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Servord
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 28D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 35D  [0.00]
I had the exact same issue with my 2015 F15 35D. It took a while but after recording the event happening a number of times and working with my SA, BMW eventually replaced my head unit. I would highly advise you to document it if possible and show your SA when you go in for service.

Note BMW is going to try to point to the fact that your phone may not be Running the correct version of firmware that is compatible with I drive. I actually downgraded my phone to the compatible version and still had the same problem. I do not believe it is your phone at all. Mine was happening under Bluetooth connectivity, USB connectivity, and not even having my phone connected at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servord View Post
I had the exact same issue with my 2015 F15 35D. It took a while but after recording the event happening a number of times and working with my SA, BMW eventually replaced my head unit. I would highly advise you to document it if possible and show your SA when you go in for service.

Note BMW is going to try to point to the fact that your phone may not be Running the correct version of firmware that is compatible with I drive. I actually downgraded my phone to the compatible version and still had the same problem. I do not believe it is your phone at all. Mine was happening under Bluetooth connectivity, USB connectivity, and not even having my phone connected at all.
This has nothing to do with your phone. Tell them you don't even pair a phone.

It's definitely a hardware issue, probably the car communication computer (CCC). Is this what you mean by head unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
shezi01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 35i

I had the same issue back in December 2017 on 2014 35i, and SA was driving the car with me for front clicking noise and idrive rebooted and that was enough for them.. they ended up replacing the head unit after testing and 2 hours had to order another unit bc replaced unit rebooted as well. Since Jan 1st 2018 no issues.

It has absolutely nothing to do with iPhone x or Galaxy note 8/9.. I had both setup.

If under warranty take it back to them and ask them to diagnose it. Mine got to the point that it would just reboot since before it was sporadic.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Been having this intermittent but since you have a new one then maybe you got a bad unit
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

my 18' would reboot randomly. didn't lose settings though

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
gletourneau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50

Following up on this thread

My '16 X5 has been doing the exact same thing, and they replaced the head unit. Since it was ONE month out of warranty, BMW NA agreed to split the cost of the new head unit, so I ended up paying about $1100 out of pocket. Fast forward about a week, and it's doing the exact same thing again with the new head unit. It's in the realm of possibility that it's another bad head unit, but more than likely I wasted $1100 on a part that didn't need to be replaced and now they have to find the real culprit.

So for anyone who had the head unit replaced, and if the problem persisted... was there any resolution from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gletourneau View Post
My '16 X5 has been doing the exact same thing, and they replaced the head unit. Since it was ONE month out of warranty, BMW NA agreed to split the cost of the new head unit, so I ended up paying about $1100 out of pocket. Fast forward about a week, and it's doing the exact same thing again with the new head unit. It's in the realm of possibility that it's another bad head unit, but more than likely I wasted $1100 on a part that didn't need to be replaced and now they have to find the real culprit.

So for anyone who had the head unit replaced, and if the problem persisted... was there any resolution from BMW?
I have started to run into the same thing although I'm hopeful it will be covered by my extended warranty. I am going to contact BMW to diagnose the issue next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
I have started to run into the same thing although I'm hopeful it will be covered by my extended warranty. I am going to contact BMW to diagnose the issue next week.
Keep us updated. Still contemplating on different extended warranties and think it will be worth double checking this is a covered repair as part of the policy.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #11
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Keep us updated. Still contemplating on different extended warranties and think it will be worth double checking this is a covered repair as part of the policy.
Yes sir will do. Should be as it is not a "wear and tear" part. I'll have to dust off the warranty info, but should be covered. Given I purchased it through the BMW dealership, one would think it would be relatively pain-free to get them to pay out.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #12
NOTORIOUS VR
Rep
Drives: B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
I've been running into an issue the past couple of months in my 2015 X5 35i - I will be driving along, and all of a sudden the iDrive system will reboot. Radio stops, nav shuts down, and the whole system reboots like you're starting the car up initially. This happens mid-ride and random times, sometimes within 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes into a drive, and it will happen a random amount of times in a row. Sometimes once, othertimes up to 5 times.

One of these instances the car actually reset all of my settings, saved radio stations, NAV locations, etc. Full wipe to factory stock.

I've now been to my dealer 3 times trying to solve this issue. First try was to reload the iDrive software, which didn't solve it. 2nd shot was to remove my cell phone paring and remove my USB memory stick I have in the console with my music collection and see if it happened again. It did. 3rd time back, we replaced the head unit, and not 4 hours after picking up my car it happened again.

I will say I'm using a Galaxy Note 9, which appears to be on the BMW approved list, as this was an initial question regarding the issue. This concern was negated though when the system reboot without it connected. Same with the USB stick.

Any one have any thoughts where to go from here? It's so hard to pinpoint the issue and I'm curious if anyone has had this happen to them.
I came across this issue recently - where it started to loop on/off to the point it would wipe all the settings. Previously this would only happen once randomly 4-6 months apart or so and just a quick soft reboot never losing settings.

Anyway, after some googling and digging of old posts. I saw a few people mention the dealer advised them it's because of their phone's BT connection. I thought well that is silly, I've had the same phone throughout the ownership of my truck.

However the next time it rebooted so many times to completely wipe all the settings (including BT pairing) I didn't re-pair my phone. No more bootloops!

The only thing that changed was OS updates (going from Android 10 to 11 not too long ago plus many updates since it's a Google Pixel).

I left the phone unpaired for about 1 month and the idrive was rock solid.

After I got another update to my phone I decided I would once again attempt to pair via BT - however what I also though about was that it might be the SMS and phonebook sync that might be the actual issue. So this time when pairing I denied idrive the access to download messages and contacts. I don't' need that anyways thanks to the MMI AA module which I use.

And well, I've yet to experience another reboot. Maybe this helps you as well.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      01-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post

I came across this issue recently - where it started to loop on/off to the point it would wipe all the settings. Previously this would only happen once randomly 4-6 months apart or so and just a quick soft reboot never losing settings.

Anyway, after some googling and digging of old posts. I saw a few people mention the dealer advised them it's because of their phone's BT connection. I thought well that is silly, I've had the same phone throughout the ownership of my truck.

However the next time it rebooted so many times to completely wipe all the settings (including BT pairing) I didn't re-pair my phone. No more bootloops!

The only thing that changed was OS updates (going from Android 10 to 11 not too long ago plus many updates since it's a Google Pixel).

I left the phone unpaired for about 1 month and the idrive was rock solid.

After I got another update to my phone I decided I would once again attempt to pair via BT - however what I also though about was that it might be the SMS and phonebook sync that might be the actual issue. So this time when pairing I denied idrive the access to download messages and contacts. I don't' need that anyways thanks to the MMI AA module which I use.

And well, I've yet to experience another reboot. Maybe this helps you as well.
I see most of us likely have the NBT MMI (although one member mentioned he had an 18). Wonder if perhaps it is more prevalent in the NBT generation. I also wonder if swapping to an aftermarket system would rectify this? I know thats not necessarily ideal, but I had considered going with an aftermarket upgrade to get the newer MMI. Or perhaps upgrading via a more "legit" option like BimmerTech etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Try disabling "media audio" in the Bluetooth connection settings on your phone (this is for android, dunno re iphones)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

It just happened to me recently on my 2018 X5, I have appointment next Monday to diagnose that at the dealer
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #16
Vdesai0326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2015 bmw x5  [0.00]
I think I remember there being an issue with the i drive controller (big circle thing with map phone media back option buttons)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #17
Littleman’s Dad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 & 2016 BMW X3

I have been trying to find a way to reboot the I drive system on our 2014 X5.

Over the last several months, the USB connections n has become intermittent. Tried different iPhones and cables. Those aren’t the problem.

Also, the Bluetooth connection became intermittent but now won’t say its connected for entertainment / music even though it shows iPhones connected for music in connections.

Holding power button doesn’t work... none of the ‘combos’ seem to work.

I’m pretty darn afraid of the multi battery complexity....

Just want to try rebooting before I bring it in for big $$$$$

Any help appreciated
Appreciate 0