BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

Try the G05 forum. There is a thread there. The tail gates are different than the F15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acbrunton View Post
New to the forum.
I have a 2020 CPO X5 G05. Going over certain bumps and dips I hear noise from the rear that's more of a clunk and creak, like a door isn't fully closed, or a rear seat isn't fully locked back. I'm going to see if adjusting the lift gate bumpers helps, or trying this tape idea.
If anyone has other thoughts before I cave in and give it to the dealer to work on and tell me they can't find anything, let me know
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #24
acbrunton
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020 G05

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thanks. I did. I scoured the G05 forum before posting here. The complaints there aren't the same. Although, a backseat catch solution might be applicable. The cargo deck issue could be too. But, driving the vehicle with two passengers in the back listening and looking for the source, it sure sounded like the lift gate was loose. Also, I notice the back hatch locking mechanism in the video posted here looks the same as the locking catches on the G05.
      07-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
A picture speaks a 1000 words here is how i have a silent car. Tailgate rattle GONE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #26
Roadwarrior1956
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 550! 2013 X5 35I

Hatch Rattle

This works great I adjusted these on my 2013 X5 and stopped all the rattling those parts that you put the tape on are adjustable from inside!

2016 X5 with only 14k miles on it. I bought it back in feb and over the next few weeks brought it back for service for the creaky and rattling trunk lid.
All they did back in feb to address the issue was to wind a few turns of felt like sticky tape around the latch hook on the upper hatch lid. I drove out and the rattle was still there.
From the various threads this issue effects many X5 years.

So I read through threads here and on google and was going to attack the job myself.
But mostly all I could find was that same fix of winding the felt tape around the top latch hook or the side latch hooks.

I was also able to isolate 1/2 the noise coming from the bottom sides of the rear window when I pressed my hand on each lower corner. It was creaky! This was the noise i was getting when the suv's body would flex like when turning out of a driveway or a rolly road.
The other noise was an overall loose trunk lid like the dealership hid a midget with a 2 x 4 in the space where the spare tire would be. he then would knock the wood around just to drive me crazy

The other fix I read was to pull the electric latching mechanism out as it was loose on some X5's. Mine seemed tight so I didn't think that was my issue.

Today I got lucky as the tech marc thompsom at bmw of south albany really seemed to know his stuff. When he took me out for a test drive after he adjusted some of the settings on the upper section of the tailgate (I had not seen these settings referenced in other threads or google searches).
He said he read of this fix in past service bulletins.

I asked him to show me how he did it because I wanted to pass the fix along to others in the forum with the same issue. He showed me where on each side of the trunk there are rubber bump stops which are adjustable (pic below). You would never know this by looking at them. The large one in the pic I took is spring loaded. You access the adjustment screw (I think he said its an allen head) by popping off the side panel and loosening either one from underneath. The big square one is spring loaded. it will then reset against the hatch by spring pressure. Then tighten that bumper stop.

Same goes for the small round bumper stop. Its not spring loaded, but can be adjusted up and down from underneath inside the same panel. He said he uses a piece of paper and pulls it out to get the right amount of pressure against the lid. Like a dentist does finding high spots with the tape they use.

Im sure these adjustments have been talked about in threads or on google, I just didn't know what I was looking for.

But I was one happy camper driving back to my office this AM "in silence" after two months of listening to creaks and rattles from the tailgate area. My wife has a 2014 Audi Q3 and I was amazed how silent her car is as to creaks or rattles and I was really getting ticked off that my X5 had a 60k list when new and the trunk rattled like hell!

Let me know if this fix helps anyone else.

2016 X5 with only 14k miles on it. I bought it back in feb and over the next few weeks brought it back for service for the creaky and rattling trunk lid.
All they did back in feb to address the issue was to wind a few turns of felt like sticky tape around the latch hook on the upper hatch lid. I drove out and the rattle was still there.

So I read through threads here and on google and was going to attack the job myself.
But mostly all I could find was that same fix of winding the felt tape around the top latch hook or the side latch hooks.

I was also able to isolate 1/2 the noise coming from the bottom sides of the rear window when I pressed my hand on each lower corner. It was creaky! This was the noise i was getting when the suv's body would flex like when turning out of a driveway or a rolly road.
The other noise was an overall loose trunk lid like the dealership hid a midget with a 2 x 4 in the space where the spare tire would be. he then would knock the wood around just to drive me crazy

The other fix I read was to pull the electric latching mechanism out as it was loose on some X5's. Mine seemed tight so I didn't think that was my issue.

Today I got lucky as the tech marc thompsom at bmw of south albany really seemed to know his stuff. When he took me out for a test drive after he adjusted some of the settings on the upper section of the tailgate (I had not seen these settings referenced in other threads or google searches).

I asked him to show me how he did it because I wanted to pass the fix along to others in the forum with the same issue. He showed me where on each side of the trunk there are rubber bump stops which are adjustable (pic below). You would never know this by looking at them. The large one in the pic I took is spring loaded. You access the adjustment screw (I think he said its an allen head) by popping off the side panel and loosening either one from underneath. The big square one is spring loaded. it will then reset against the hatch by spring pressure. Then tighten that bumper stop.

Same goes for the small round bumper stop. Its not spring loaded, but can be adjusted up and down from underneath inside the same panel. He said he uses a piece of paper and pulls it out to get the right amount of pressure against the lid. Like a dentist does finding high spots with the tape they use.

Im sure these adjustments have been talked about in threads or on google, I just didn't know what I was looking for.

But I was one happy camper driving back to my office this AM "in silence" after two months of listening to creaks and rattles from the tailgate area. My wife has a 2014 Audi Q3 and I was amazed how silent her car is as to creaks or rattles and I was really getting ticked off that my X5 had a 60k list when new and the trunk rattled like hell!

Let me know if this fix helps anyone else.

Attached Images

Last edited by Roadwarrior1956; 08-24-2020 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: add photo
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:44 PM   #27
gutijoh
New-ish Member
Rep
Drives: F15, F30 (lease) E53 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
A picture speaks a 1000 words here is how i have a silent car. Tailgate rattle GONE
I am about to try this next week. How has this worked out after several months? Also, I will be going in for service this Thursday and will see what they can do as the rattle/creak is pretty loud.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #28
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutijoh View Post
Quote:
I am about to try this next week. How has this worked out after several months? Also, I will be going in for service this Thursday and will see what they can do as the rattle/creak is pretty loud.
silent like a mouse love the peace inside my x5 The duck tape sometimes falls off and I put new one on.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #29
gutijoh
New-ish Member
Rep

Quote:
silent like a mouse love the peace inside my x5 The duck tape sometimes falls off and I put new one on.
Thank you! Going to the box store today to get the tape and will give this a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #30
gutijoh
New-ish Member
Rep

Quick update. Under CPO coverage, the trunk alignment improved the situation a great deal. However, it is not fully resolved. I got the gorilla tape and will try plan B.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #31
gutijoh
New-ish Member
Rep

Plan B worked. Even applied it in 20 degree weather. Rather than shotgun tape, I cut the strips and applied it carefully and found that certain sides of the components in question need to be 'wrapped'.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13103.00
      01-29-2021, 02:11 AM   #32
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutijoh View Post
Plan B worked. Even applied it in 20 degree weather. Rather than shotgun tape, I cut the strips and applied it carefully and found that certain sides of the components in question need to be 'wrapped'.
glad the solution worked. I am rather happy yo have a silent car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 11:23 PM   #33
Geo41e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15 xDrive30D M Sport

soooo just gonna bump this old thread.

done all the checks from adjusting the striker for the lower tailgate, duct tape and felt around the bump stomps and guide brackets...much better than before, however I'm getting a metallic sound..like as if the catch where the lower tailgate grabs and pulls the upper tailgate is loose.

I inspected and it doesn't seem to be loose at all, neither is the striker on the upper tailgate side, or the catch on the lower tailgate..everything seems to be solid.

is there anything else I can sus out or any further recommendations ?
Appreciate 0