XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbuiltperformance View Post
i have the same issue with my 16 f15 would using high pressure air clean it up?
I'm not sure how the connection is in there so using a compressor.. I don't know. I used canned air and it did nothing. It all depends whether your lines are just clogged or twisted.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #25
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Thanks for the hack!
You betcha.. anything to help the community 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #26
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylet101 View Post
I'm having water pool near the passenger side drain. No issues with the driver side.

I tried trimmer line without any luck. It gets about 6 inches in and stops. I tried a water bottle with piping to force into the drain (using cling rap to create a seal). Also tried a can of compressed air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I removed the A Pillar cover to check line
I removed the A Pillar cover but could only see the airbag and electrical wiring. Where is the drain tube?

I tried the hack mentioned.. just a heads up, the Lowes piping linked to is HUGE. I ended up buying ID: .170" OD: 1/4" 10ft. I can get about 6" of the pipe into the drain but that's it. I tried twisting, pulling/pushing, etc. etc. I eventually got the water to drain (yay!) but then when I cut the excess tube it stopped draining

For the brief period when it was draining, I noticed the water heading into the door jam... why would this be happening? video: https://giphy.com/gifs/60KIeHYAu7FMVA2gvI/html5

I'm tempted to take it into the shop for them to take off the fender and have a look, but not really interested in paying the $$$
Sorry for the long wait, my SUV was stuck in the garage. Upgraded to an HD Android system and the one they sent me had some issues. All good now. Not sure if you got your stuff sorted but..

I just checked my front drains with some water and they are coming out at the bottom rear of the front fender, just behind the tire. Also, since I'm in an incline it seems the water is traveling to the rear tire (front side) via the rocker panel. No water noticed coming down the inner door side.

And yes, my vehicle is dirty. Stupid rain every other day 🤷🏽
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #27
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbuiltperformance View Post
i have the same issue with my 16 f15 would using high pressure air clean it up?
In my case, the dealer tried that first. It didn't work. The drain lines were twisted or bent so they didn't work. They had to remove the kick panel trim and the fenders to straighten the lines. (Edited 1/8)
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:56 PM   #28
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
In my case, the dealer tried that first. It didn't work. The drain lines were twisted or bent so they didn't work. They had to remove the A pillar trim and the fenders to straighten the lines.
r u sure? because according to newtis, the drain hose itself is built into the a-pillar and without cutting the pillar open, no one can access or replace the drain hose.
      01-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #29
crabapple555
Private
Rep
Drives: A6 & F15

Quote:
You betcha.. anything to help the community ����
I am going to try your method sir, this water drain issue caused corrosion to the FZD module, the dealer wanted $850+ to remove the fender liners to fix the issue since the passenger side was completely blocked.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #30
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple555 View Post
Quote:
You betcha.. anything to help the community ����
I am going to try your method sir, this water drain issue caused corrosion to the FZD module, the dealer wanted $850+ to remove the fender liners to fix the issue since the passenger side was completely blocked.
I have not seen one myself, but clearly these lines are made of crappy material for them to twist. The clear tubbing has worked for me since I placed it in there and I'm sure it will not kink or twist. Just be gentle pushing it in, and when it won't go no more and you know you have at least a forearms length, check to see if it drains. It should drain fine before you cut it, mine did. Best of luck,
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #31
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
Quote:
In my case, the dealer tried that first. It didn't work. The drain lines were twisted or bent so they didn't work. They had to remove the A pillar trim and the fenders to straighten the lines.
r u sure? because according to newtis, the drain hose itself is built into the a-pillar and without cutting the pillar open, no one can access or replace the drain hose.
I took another look at my original post. I was told that the footwell kick panels and fenders that were removed, not the A pillar trim. The SA did tell me that they were able to "untwist" the line at that point. Sounds like they didn't get to the A pillar. Post corrected.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
D-Ram
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I took another look at my original post. I was told that the footwell kick panels and fenders that were removed, not the A pillar trim. The SA did tell me that they were able to "untwist" the line at that point. Sounds like they didn't get to the A pillar. Post corrected.
Hiya
Just joined this forum as like many on here I have bought a 2013 X5 F15 with a blocked sunroof drain on the passenger side.
Have tried most of the fixes mentioned on here without success.
My question is .... if it's likely that the blockage ( wherever in the drain tube it is) is organic is there any reason why I couldn't carefully use a syringe to inject some "DrainBuster" in from the top to dissolve whatever is causing the blockage??
I've taken the "A" pillar cover off and taken the rubber grommets out and can see and feel the plastic tube.
Question 2 ........ any reason why I shouldn't drill a 5 mm hole in the tube and either rod it from there like a blocked drain or carefull inject "DrainBuster" from there with a syringe.

Thanks
DavidR
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #33
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ram View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hiya
Just joined this forum as like many on here I have bought a 2013 X5 F15 with a blocked sunroof drain on the passenger side.
Have tried most of the fixes mentioned on here without success.
My question is .... if it's likely that the blockage ( wherever in the drain tube it is) is organic is there any reason why I couldn't carefully use a syringe to inject some "DrainBuster" in from the top to dissolve whatever is causing the blockage??
I've taken the "A" pillar cover off and taken the rubber grommets out and can see and feel the plastic tube.
Question 2 ........ any reason why I shouldn't drill a 5 mm hole in the tube and either rod it from there like a blocked drain or carefull inject "DrainBuster" from there with a syringe.

Thanks
DavidR
I wouldn't drill in there, but that's me. Since you said you've tried everything on the thread, have you tried to just use a thicker type (trimmer line) to see if you can run it through to hopefully unclog it if it is clogged?

At last resort, I would get a real line cleaning kit before I'd start drilling anything bud. If this doesn't work, I would probably go to extremes and take of the tire, bottom pieces, fender, and see what's going on in there as a weekend project. Meantime, find a place to park it uphill so the water drains out the back two holes (hopefully, those aren't clogged too). I would not drill whatsoever.

I wouldn't use any household product in there, it's rubber (not PVC) so you don't know if it'll eventually corrode it and make your issue worse. Hell, I've never even used vinegar like some people would advice. No no

Here's a good idea, although still push gently just in case so you don't disconnect something

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
[/COLOR]

https://www.freedomracing.com/vas662...gaAvCLEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #34
D-Ram
Registered
Rep

I've had the wheel off and all the under wing weather guard panels off and tried to rod it and use compressed air to clear it but all I got was a couple of air bubbles out of the top drain hole ... spent 3 hours on it !
I've not been able to get anything to go from top to bottom in either direction.
It's very disheartening buying a new fairly expensive car to find such a major design fault!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #35
D-Ram
Registered
Rep

Yes I've found the only way to stop the passenger footwell becoming a swimming pool is to park overnight with the nose facing uphill🙄
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #36
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ram View Post
Yes I've found the only way to stop the passenger footwell becoming a swimming pool is to park overnight with the nose facing uphill🙄
I'm sorry to hear that. At this point with everything you've done, it clearly indicates you definitely need new tubes put in. They have to be so kinked that they are probably taped together on the inside and not allowing anything through. Sucks that lots of the tips on here don't work for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #37
AngeloF15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5, 2015 BMW X5

I had a similar issue on my 2015 X5. Water dripping down passenger visor on seat and carpet. On mine there is little rubber slits installed near the drain hole for the front of the sunroof. When I was investigating the issue I found a broken plastic tab was lodged in the hole and almost went down the drain. I carefully removed the obstruction like I was playing the game "operation". Hasnt rained since but I feel lucky to have caught this. I think some people may be in the same situation and shoving a tube down that drain could make things worse if the plastic tab get jammed in there.
Attached Images

Last edited by AngeloF15; 03-08-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #38
Bagpype
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Porsche 944s2

Quote:
I opened my car and found a wet passenger seat, A pillar, and passenger foot wells after a heavy rain last week. The passenger airbag warning was on and the passenger seat heater didn't work. Sure enough, the front passenger side roof drain wasn't working.

Since the car is still under warranty, I took it to the dealer and they kept it for a couple of days. It was diagnosed as twisted drain lines on both sides, and they had to remove the kick panels and both front fenders to straighten them. They also removed the headliner, A pillar trim, and carpets to dry them out.

This repair was fully covered under warranty, so it didn't cost me a dime. For anyone having this problem while their F15 is still in the warranty period, you should take it in and let them fix it for free while you can. I got lucky - my '17 is covered under warranty until the end of March. As previously noted, this is a known problem and there's a TSB on it. I'm glad I took it in!
Did they replace anything related to the airbag? I have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:27 AM   #39
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpype View Post
Quote:
I opened my car and found a wet passenger seat, A pillar, and passenger foot wells after a heavy rain last week. The passenger airbag warning was on and the passenger seat heater didn't work. Sure enough, the front passenger side roof drain wasn't working.

Since the car is still under warranty, I took it to the dealer and they kept it for a couple of days. It was diagnosed as twisted drain lines on both sides, and they had to remove the kick panels and both front fenders to straighten them. They also removed the headliner, A pillar trim, and carpets to dry them out.

This repair was fully covered under warranty, so it didn't cost me a dime. For anyone having this problem while their F15 is still in the warranty period, you should take it in and let them fix it for free while you can. I got lucky - my '17 is covered under warranty until the end of March. As previously noted, this is a known problem and there's a TSB on it. I'm glad I took it in!
Did they replace anything related to the airbag? I have the same problem.
I don't think so. They just dried everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #40
Bagpype
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Porsche 944s2

Quote:
I don't think so. They just dried everything.
For those who have the same wet seat airbag problem in the future: I put a fan on it over night under the seat. The next day after driving around with seat heater on the warning went away on its own.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #41
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quick revival to add to this as I'm seeing others creating new threads for similar reasons…

I highly recommend to also treat your sunroof seal and door seals around the car by using Gummi Pflege.

Also, I got some sort of leak on the back of my F15 not long ago since we've been getting plenty of rains and storm down my way. I used some AT-205 to treat the seal in between doors and tailgate (cable connector tubular seals in between doors and tailgate)… and we're still getting quite a few storms here and my car is now dry again 🙌🏽 with no issues.

They worked for me. Planning on doing this every 6 months. I used the foam painting sticks from to apply the AT-205 so it goes where I need it to be and not create a mess. I even used the AT-205 on the front cowl rubber area just underneath the windshield.

Just wanted to share. You can Google the results on both of these products.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #42
Myltz400
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

+1 for Gummi Pflege it also makes an old creaky car sound new. I put it lightly around all the window edges. Smooths out that last 1/4 inch that they go up into the door frame.

Edit: Not sure about the reseal product, sounds like it attacks the gasket material to rejuvenate which could lead to further problems down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #43
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AT-205 is a plasticizer, a type of chemical used in rubber manufacturing to set hardness and flexibility. As a seal or gasket gets older it can dry out, harden and wear - treating it with AT-205 will rejuvenate it, restoring it's flexibility and sealing properties.

It's safe for that type of use.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #44
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE:

So I originally posted this thread on March of 2020. It is now May of 2021 and my hack failed. I am not too worried because I actually was timing it to see how long it lasted, so just over a year is not bad at all.

I cleaned it out today and everything is back to normal and draining well again. What I did to clean was,

-Pull out both homemade tubes, and clean with some soap. They will be dirty (for me it was because it is a high pollen area)

-Clean drain opening area with rags to remove any dirt, and also clean the channels that leads all the way to the rear drains. You can use some paper towel and an old toothbrush for this

-Sprayed some Simple Green on the front drain holes and let it sit for about 2 minutes or so, and also down the rear channels

-Reinserted the homemade tubing

-Via the tubes, used an air canister to push anything lodge or clogged in there out

-Used my made up syringe with rubber tubing to place water rapidly into both sides to check drains and ensure all simple green was flushed out

Now, no issues and draining fine again. I also used some Gummi Pflege since I was up there and applied it to the sunroof seal.
Appreciate 0