BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
atyrimos
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

X5 Vibrating

Hi Guys,

I have a X5 2014 30d with vibrating problems. When going from 40-50km/h and accelerating the car starts vibrating, which more or less stops when you hold a constant speed but is so noticeable that sometimes I get dizzy from the vibration when in the car for a long time.

Went to the mechanic, left the car in the garage for 3-4 days to find the mistake with diagnostic tools but couldn’t find anything he said and decided that we should change the air compressor pump. Bought a new pump from Germany for 500€, brought it to him, changed it, nothing changed! After changing the pump he took the car to some platform that they check the MOT and found that there is a problem with the shock absorbers of the car, which are the VDC ones for mine. They cost around 500€ for each wheel and said that we should change the front ones that don’t seem to absorb the vibrations based on the readings from the Mot.

I would like to know if anyone had any similar issues. I can’t find anywhere saying that shock absorbers fail in F15s and I would assume that since there is a sensor there it would catch if there was some kind of failing part. I found some people having problems with vibrating cars that turned out to be unbalanced wheels or failing front shafts and ujoints. What I did notice after replacing the aircompressor that in the morning when I go to work the car was 5cm lower on the left side and 3cm on the right back side and as soon as I turn on the car the pumps lift the car back to normal. The mechanic did say that he tried many times spraying the air springs and found no leaks whatsoever.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Check wheel balance

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

As above I'd check all 4 wheels and make sure they are balanced. Also, can look at the transfer case vibration. Common problem across the X5 platform.

OEM wheels or aftermarket? What size?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
pshooter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 X35d pulls E36 M3 Track ho

I too am getting a vibration that also resonates through the cabin .
starts at 35mph ends at 45mph only when accelerating or under load. At steady state it diminishes to not noticeable.

Dealer said they could not replicate. I pulled the under cover for the front driveshaft and feel like there is excess play at the transfer case.

Today I was running between 70 and 80 mph to see if I could get a 2nd order vibration and it does subtle as it may be.

I may pull the front driveshaft and drive it up the road to see if that eliminates it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
atyrimos
Rep

it seems a lot of people have more or less similar issues

I have the 19’ rims, factory ones, not run flats though
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

All vibration while driving troubleshooting should start with checking wheels and tires. Balance, even wear, proper pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
atyrimos
Rep

update: Went to another tyre shop, was told that it seemed that the tyres I had changed 3 months ago were for rough terrain, not the ones that were supposed to be installed at all and that the tyres must have created a problem to the transfer case. after some good intention from the tyre dealer he advised changing the tyres as a first step to finding the problem in case it was just the tyres creating the problem and Bam! No more vibrations! After changing the tyres and testing everything is fine, after 3 months of vibrations and thudding the car runs smoothly!

this is what happens when you go to people that have no idea what they’re doing in more modern and expensive cars, speaking about mechanics and tyre dealers.

the guy who changed the tyres for me advised me to change the oil in the transfer case aswell just in case there was debris because of the vibrations from the tyres in the system
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Glad it is solved. There is a specific method on replacing transfer case fluid and not as simple as drain and fill, better have a BMW dealer to give a second opinion.
Appreciate 0