BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

03-25-2020, 04:23 AM   #23
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Great news, sounds like you got a decent deal too
👍
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman View Post
UPDATE
I bought a used valve body from a 2016 X5M and changed the solenoids. Did an adaptation reset however the problem persisted.
I'm now planning to buy a used transmission and install it.
When you replaced the solenoids, did you replace the mechatronic sleeve that goes between the valve body and the transmission (the small 1/2" long rubber tube that is nearly completely inserted inside the transmission itself).

My transmission was doing exactly what you described for some time, reset adaptions, installed a sonnax zip kit, multiple fluid/filter changes didn't do much to help.

When I installed new solenoids, I also replaced that small mechantronic sleeve, the transmission is shifting near perfect again (and I have over 150K on it). I was assuming it was mainly the new solenoids but after reading your post the solenoids didn't help, I wonder if it was the sleeve that actually made the most difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #25
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
When you replaced the solenoids, did you replace the mechatronic sleeve that goes between the valve body and the transmission (the small 1/2" long rubber tube that is nearly completely inserted inside the transmission itself).

My transmission was doing exactly what you described for some time, reset adaptions, installed a sonnax zip kit, multiple fluid/filter changes didn't do much to help.

When I installed new solenoids, I also replaced that small mechantronic sleeve, the transmission is shifting near perfect again (and I have over 150K on it). I was assuming it was mainly the new solenoids but after reading your post the solenoids didn't help, I wonder if it was the sleeve that actually made the most difference.
It definitely sounds like he had a control issue somewhere and not mechanical. Perhaps a line pressure valve got stuck, sending full pressure to the shift solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #26
islandman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post

I did all different combinations, ie, solenoids alone and when that didn't work I replaced the complete valve body and recoded it. I'm not a mechanic but I can say with confidence it's not a valve body problem. The person who coded my transmission said he had 4 more cars (F85/F86) with the same problem and he was waiting for the travel restriction to be lifted so he could fly to the USA to sort those out.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #27
islandman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Great news, sounds like you got a decent deal too
👍
Everything worked out but as you know the M tax will kill you. Please remember that we have to pay an import duty of basically 50% on car parts. The final bill for everything was USD $5000, car running and keys in my hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #28
hinton
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M f85/ e46 M3 zcp/ e90 330i

good to hear the new tranny fixed it, i am at 100,000km on my car now and have basically put on 35,000km on the new tranny. my fear is that it might be an issue with the tranny every 60,000km, if it is then this is a massive problem with the zf tranny.

islandman, you said you imported the car, do you know if the previous owner was doing launch control on it? did you do launch control on it.

i have never done launch control since i owned it nor have i used launch control since the new tranny was put it in.
E70 3.5i M sport 2013
other german toys.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:48 PM   #29
islandman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did one launch when I first got the car to make sure everything was working ok.
I don't know if the previous owner did launches but I would have to assume he/she did.

After driving X6's for 10 years now I can say this is my last one. As a matter of fact this is my last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #30
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
I did one launch when I first got the car to make sure everything was working ok.
I don't know if the previous owner did launches but I would have to assume he/she did.

After driving X6's for 10 years now I can say this is my last one. As a matter of fact this is my last BMW.
Well, zf built the trans, and they are used in many other brands. But generally a hard shift is not a mechanical issue. A slipping trans is what's very bad and will kill it in short order. Hard shift means some sensor or valve is screwy. It would be nice to tear apart your old trans to find the cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #31
hinton
Private
Rep

Quote:

i feel the same way sometimes, probably heading to vienna in the next 13 months and gonna take my e46 m3 zcp with me, but the others i might just unload. really tired of silly things breaking on the newer ones. been in bmw since about 2004.
E70 3.5i M sport 2013
other german toys.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #32
hinton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Well, zf built the trans, and they are used in many other brands. But generally a hard shift is not a mechanical issue. A slipping trans is what's very bad and will kill it in short order. Hard shift means some sensor or valve is screwy. It would be nice to tear apart your old trans to find the cause.
bmw north america replaced mine without any big issue and quietly took the old tranny. i would love to know root cause too. are the hellcats and demons blowing trannies too?

i thought they were the same tranny but beefed up for the higher torque outputs.
E70 3.5i M sport 2013
other german toys.
Appreciate 0