Michelin Premier LTX 7 8.05%
Other 13 14.94%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

02-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Sometimes 3ft while braking is a difference between having an accident or avoiding it.
It can happen at normal speeds on normal roads... Not only while racing on a track...
Tires are really not something to be cheap about...
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      02-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #24
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I opted for the Michelin A/S 3's. I'm looking for a space saver spare before I get them put on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #25
KProX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

In a similar situation as the OP, original runflats are done and looking for options. Living outside of Boulder, CO, my plan is to run dedicated winter tires but not sure if I should put them on my current 19" wheels and buy 20" wheels for summers or just another set of 19s. Any suggestions? Is there a big difference in performance between 20" and 19" wheels on a xDrive 35i? Anything else I should be considering?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #26
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
So I know there have been several threads that discuss this, but I wanted to see where the general sentiment has landed with all-season tires for our X5's. My Pirelli's are nearing the end of the line, and I am now starting to figure out what I want to put on the car now. I will definitely be moving away from run-flats, and I already have the space-saver spare in the trunk.

As far as I gather, the most recommended tires we seem to see are the Conti DWS 06, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+, the Michelin Premier LTX, and possibly a couple others. I have the standard xLine non-staggered setup, so the 255/50/19s. Are people getting near the warranty distance on these tires above? Any other thoughts?
Just replaced my OEM Pirelli 255/50/19s with same at 47K. I really like those run flats so I went with the same thing
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #27
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

I’ve been reading great reviews of the nokian zline AS SUV all season in 255/50/r19. Any one have any experience with it?

Last edited by bmwx5er; 02-17-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #28
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Driving on all-seasons is like walking 24hr a day with a condom on. It's bad during the summer, it's bad during the winter. It's just bad.

Sorry.
LOL ...

So true ..all seasons are no seasons... this forum has an unhealthy obsession with all seasons and oem parts
      02-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #29
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Based on my experience, DWS06's are quite impressive. They are very smooth and grip well during summer days. Cornering is good also with these continental tires. The only negative I can say is that they have a tendency to lose their traction a bit in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #30
Xstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35iX (gone)

Recommend Nokian ZLine Non RTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
I’ve been reading great reviews of the nokian zline AS SUV all season in 255/50/r19. Any one have any experience with it?
I replaced worn Pirelli 255/55R18 with Nokian ZLine on my 2015 non-M X5. A big factor in my decision is the Nokian ZLine web page shows an F15 X5. Very comfortable ride and responsive handling. Never tried them in snow. I have since traded the 2015 X5 for a 2016 M-Sport and will likely switch to Nokian ZLine 255/50R19s when replacing my OEM Pirelli Scorpian Verde RFT.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #31
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

Tire choice for me starts with the temperature range they will operate in. Blizzacks, for example wear very quickly above 40F. Summer tires on the other hand need warmer temps or they can be greasy when asked for too much traction. The next thing I look at is siping, then water channels. On wide for size tires we run hydroplaning can be a problem. Another problem is road crown which can affect the asymmetric tires adversely

For my money Michelin's give me the best balance of traction vs wear. No doubt there are other brands that provide a good balance for others. The run flat tires are a bit noisy but I like the ability to choose where you can stop for a tow.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #32
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Driving on all-seasons is like walking 24hr a day with a condom on. It's bad during the summer, it's bad during the winter. It's just bad.

Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
LOL ...

So true ..all seasons are no seasons... this forum has an unhealthy obsession with all seasons and oem parts
This crap again!?!?

Some people lack updated knowledge and believe that all A/S tires are still crappy, like most used to be a long time ago, despite huge improvements over time.
Cheap A/S tires might still crappy, but high performance A/S tires are quite awesome for summer time use, these days.
I still recommend dedicated winter only tires, if you deal with snow and ice in the winter, due to their even better grip...

The above condom analogy might have had a point 20yrs ago...
Time to get with the times, and not live in the past!!

The only unhealthy "obsessions" in this "room" is the refusal to read what tire manufactures suggest based on their extensive testing, while acting like it gives one a hard-on talking crap about all A/S tires and being derogatory against people who successfully use them...

Also some people have a weak understanding about summers only and minimum temps for them to not turn into one of the shittiest tires they have ever driven on. Cold summer tires and cold weather (not winter, just below 40-45), can be quite unsafe due to the rubber compound being too hard, almost plastic instead of grippy.

To make it more understandable for certain people here; Driving on summer tires when it is under 45F, could be compared to using 5 layered condoms at the same time. Might make you believe you are big and mighty, but you won't feel much...
Switch to winter tires too early, and you will wear them down a lot faster than you need to.

Now, if I raced my X5, or lived in FL, I would use summers only tires.
Summers only definitely has their place, and advantages when used properly.

However, I live in a 4 season climate, I drive on the streets, and chose to use high performance A/S tires for the summer time. This makes sure I don't have to risk really shitty grip when it dips below 40-45, during some fall nights before I install my dedicated winter tires, or if I switch to summer set up in the spring, and we get a cold snap.
It also shortens the season I have to drive with winters only, on dry roads.

If you have ever tried to brake hard with summer only tires that are not up to temp yet on a cold day, you will know what I'm talking about.
If you don't believe me, how about reading what TireRack.com says about it:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

Back to the question about what tires to get:
My set of 20" Pilot Sport A/S 3's now have a few thousand miles on them, and they handle great, are not noisy, and ride is much better than the stock tires on 19" rims ever was.
I have taken a few sweeping turns at high speed and grip is just phenomenal! I have tried breaking hard, and do they ever grab. Grip is good even when breaking hard with a trailer behind.
Thus; I have a lot of confidence in these tires.

So based on my limited use, and positive experience with Michelin tires in the past, I would highly recommend the Pilot Sport A/S 3's.
Though, not until I have a full season of use with them on the X5, will I be able to give proper feedback..

Anyway: TireRack.com is a great resource when it comes to customer reviews. I recommend reading those reviews, before buying any tire!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #33
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
This crap again!?!?
If you will spend less time typing the messages to long to read and do some actual stuff, you might be able to afford two good sets of summer and winter tyres.
      07-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
Goodfella10
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
If you will spend less time typing the messages to long to read and do some actual stuff, you might be able to afford two good sets of summer and winter tyres.
I found his "message" (post) very helpful. I come here for insights and knowledge so posts like his definitely help. On the contrary, you coming here and telling someone they can't afford tires and not contributing to the actual discussion is not very helpful...

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      07-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #35
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, you just don't get it.. (but I was expecting a reply from you, since...)
FYI: I have some awesome 19" Michelin winter tires, and I have some awesome 20" Michelin A/S tires for summer use.

Though as I'm sure you already guessed, I had to sell a kidney, so I could afford a second set of tires, rims and TPMS, since I'm just a dirt poor poser driving a BMW my parents bought for me. (OK, sometimes I can say shit that is not based on reality too!)

The fact that you make this a question about what I "...might be able to afford...", shows how little you grasp of what I wrote, and how little you know of me...
The fact that you claim it is "to(o) long to read" Shows me you don't take the time to actually read things, while I do, and thus I simply know more than you do!

My input is here to help others with their decision in buying good tires, you are here spouting an outdated opinion, and provide little of facts to back it up.

I humbly suggest you take the time to actually read up on the matter, and then come back to the discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #36
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
I found his "message" (post) very helpful. I come here for insights and knowledge so posts like his definitely help. On the contrary, you coming here and telling someone they can't afford tires and not contributing to the actual discussion is not very helpful...

Thanks!
After many years about repeating myself on this forum why all-seasons are not a great choice - I don’t care anymore. Use logic, make your own research... or just follow a bad advice of a random dude.
      07-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #37
Goodfella10
Private
Rep

Quote:
After many years about repeating myself on this forum why all-seasons are not a great choice - I don’t care anymore. Use logic, make your own research... or just follow a bad advice of a random dude.
Thank you for the input. I never said I would "follow a bad advice of a random dude". I said I was gaining insight and knowledge. I read every post in this thread and found some quite helpful. I will keep reading and continue to educate myself about tires and in the end, I will choose what best suits my needs...

What would really help users like myself is if you maybe told us what exactly you don't like about AS (grip, noise, etc)? The random dude you're referring too had very good input of why he likes all season tires.

Once again, thank you for the input.

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #38
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:

Are all seasons the best choice, no dedicated winter/summer is.

That being said that is not a choice for everyone, so instead of just knocking A/S help the OP with a choice.

For a daily driver a high performance all season is more than enough tire and will last a ton longer.

Its an X5 for god sake, its not even an X5M, people act like they are on the ring every weekend with these things.

OP you will be fine with either the Michelins or the DWS, buy them and stop overthinking. If you dont like them buy something else when they wear or just sell them.
      07-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #39
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are as much of a random dude as anyone else here.
I might write long posts about this, but I'm trying to help you understand the fault in your logic. I still care, I'm not a quitter...

You and I have been sparring about this before, and as you might remember, I have always agreed summer only tires are the best choice for summer time on a summer only car.
It's kind of funny though! I used to have the same opinion as you, when it comes to A/S tires. However, as I have learned more about them as they have constantly been improving, my opinion has also evolved...

My recommendations are based on dealing with 4 seasons, and I have stated this to you before.
You still act like this is a black and white, 2 seasons only situation, and all A/S tires are the same crappy stuff from many years ago, when you started repeating your opinion. So you are missing the point I'm making!

Dedicated summer only tires, are great for one of those seasons, and can really suck during two, and will definitely suck during the 4th (winter)

Just like I won't recommend using winter tires in the summertime, because the rubber compounds are not made for the heat. I can't recommend using summer time only tires, during the 2 seasons in between summer and winter, because they can be outright dangerous during certain weather conditions. Neither do I recommend driving on winter tires for 8 months of the year.

I have brought up a the many reasons for my opinion with explanations, while you are still not backing up your opinion with any data showing why you are right. There is only an assumption from your side, that we should unequivocally believe in your opinion because you have been "repeating" yourself for years.
At least I added links to what tirerack.com states, to back up my thoughts on this matter.
Did you click the link and read the info in regards to cold temp performance of summer only tires, I provided in a previous reply?

Anyhow, using your logic, I believe I would actually have to recommend having 3 sets of tires. Summer only for the summer months. A/S tires for the in between months, and winters for the actual winter months.
But who wants to change tires 4 times a year?

Thus I have pointed out that huge improvements in tire compound technology, makes high performance A/S tires, a good choice for an X5 to use, during 3 of the seasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #40
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post

Its an X5 for god sake, its not even an X5M, people act like they are on the ring every weekend with these
Exactly! It's a 2.5 ton car and the most important number, at least for me, is a braking distance. Which is much lower on the summer tyres compared to A/S in any conditions above +10C.

So what else to discuss here?
      07-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #41
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly! It's a 2.5 ton car and the most important number, at least for me, is a braking distance. Which is much lower on the summer tyres compared to A/S in any conditions above +10C.

Haha I am extending it, its better if conditions are perfect on a warm day, not better if its like you said below. A cold (even start up cold) summer tire does not perform well in braking.

That being said comparing the AS to Summer stopping, the new AS perform way better than they did, most of them are within a half a car length difference to their summer counterparts.

Definitely not as good, but not like a car length plus difference either.

Last edited by Staszek; 07-15-2019 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      07-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #42
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If we should get really picky. Are you using heavy OEM wheels?
Do you know that you can decrease your braking distance with lighter wheels, less rotational mass to stop spinning!!

Example, the popular 469 wheels weighs around 35-36lbs each, together with tires you are looking at around 70-75lbs.
My spun forged wheels are around 15-20% lighter than the 469's, and most of the difference is in the barrel (furthest out part of the rim). This might mitigate the small difference in braking distance between a high performance A/S tire and a summer tire.

What else. Well I still agree you have a point with summer tires having better grip in the summer time. To help you with your argument, I suggest you also read up on better wet performance with summer tires vs A/S tires, and not be so focused on just braking distance.
Hey, I'm just trying be helpful, and suggest another point you can use to further your case!

Still, in the big pictures and in the case of the X5, unless I race and/or drive like a maniac during the summer months, I prefer to have really great traction with A/S tires during the 3 "not winter" seasons, over having slightly better traction in the summer time only.

Anyway; From a not "some random dude":
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/su...t-for-you.html

Some more interesting info:
http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...t-people-down/

Last edited by 1norseman; 07-16-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #43
Goodfella10
Private
Rep

I ended up purchasing a pair of the Scorpion Verde all seasons $225/per tire 255/50r19.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #44
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
I ended up purchasing a pair of the Scorpion Verde all seasons $225/per tire 255/50r19.
I have Goodyear LS-2 run on flats and looks like it will last up to 50K miles. I do have dedicated winters.

Seems that 255/50/19s last longer as you can rotate them.
Appreciate 0