BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

N55 and carbon cleaning...?

I’ve come from Audi and carbon cleaning on their direct injection engines are a must...

Is it on the N55...?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckneasel View Post
I've come from Audi and carbon cleaning on their direct injection engines are a must...

Is it on the N55...?
It can be just for preventative maintenance but after 100k, my e70 n55 had 120k when I brought it in and they said you could have driven another 50k, The 135i n55 I had was dirty at 50k, it ranges but seems worse on the coups per their tuning and engine breathing design.

The X5 seems to not suffer the issues the pass cars do.

At least that's what the dealer has seen, and my experience supports that.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have 98k but seems that it’s not worth dropping the $400 on it, especially if I’m not getting any misfire codes I presume...?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have 98k but seems that it's not worth dropping the $400 on it, especially if I'm not getting any misfire codes I presume...?
Honestly knowing now what I didn't know then I wouldn't have done it. Didn't notice any change and they where already fairly clean already just dark but no caking.

Audi ! Now that's another story! All my Audi's gunk up and need cleaning. The n55 is pretty rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

M57 diesels required cleaning in 335d's, but not in X5's. I suspect it's the same story with n55. Not personal experiences, so just a wild guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #6
JKM320
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

My 50i just had to have this done. Is it different with that engine? I was told by the mechanic that it should be expected to need it every 50k miles. I know you were talking about the other engine, but curious about others experiences there too.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
ckneasel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Honestly knowing now what I didn't know then I wouldn't have done it. Didn't notice any change and they where already fairly clean already just dark but no caking.

Audi ! Now that's another story! All my Audi's gunk up and need cleaning. The n55 is pretty rock solid.
Yeah man my S5’s valves looked horrible the last time I cleaned them...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

Yeah man my S5's valves looked horrible the last time I cleaned them...
Yea every engine is different, it depends on lots of factors ranging from tune, oil changes and just design of the motor.

BMW cars require it around 50k miles but are tuned differently than the x5's are as well as some oil separators and other bits can differ from each model as well.

I thought at my milage they would be in terrible shape like the Audi's I've had in the past but was pleasantly surprised how clean they where.
Some say oil choice has something to do with how bad valves cake up with carbon. Who knows.
Ask your dealer if they have pics of x5 with same engine and your milage to show you. They'll be happy to take your money but they didn't tell me I could have waited till they completed the job.

If you have bad gas milage and are throwing codes then it's posable you need a clean. But otherwise spend that money on a trans flush or something like that.

Having the trans flushed at 100k made a world of difference on the shifting.
Appreciate 0