DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Clicking gone re-torquing wheel?

Funny thing happened when I changed over to winters:

-no more clicking from front left!

While removing summer wheels, all the torques were way off on lug nuts. I could hardly budge one of them with 16" breaker bar. Others quite a struggle as well. I consistency in values, and all well past the 105lb ft needed. No way I would be able to use lug wrench to change on roadside.

I just had brakes replaced all around, so thanks you BMW dealership for the wonderful attention to detail. The clicking manifested after the brake work. Jesus. Proper torquing technique is like mechanic potty training.

Dealer, by the way, was quick to say I needed a new $850 hub.

That's last straw with this dealer. Sick of their lack of attention and general incompetence. I just visited them to start a new X5 purchase for wife....not any more.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Well, I had oil over filled on my X6 50i once by dealer. I complained, and the SA told me to drive it back to dealer to get it corrected, crazy risking blowing my crank-case seal on the way back. Nope, I just pumped out a quart and some myself in my garage.

Another one, the oil cooler line was not clipped back in behind the radiator making small rattle, after they fix the oil cooler gasket on my 335i, again I had to loosened a few nuts to put it back. Honestly I'd rather work on my car myself, but for warranty work what can you do.

Oh well, hard to find good mechanic these days, even the one charging $175/hr

BTW, at Discount-tire, I saw a textbook torquing the nuts on tire-change, use hand for initial screw in, star-pattern with impact wrench then re-torque using pre-set torque wrench. I joked with the mgr, saying give that dude a pay raise
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Intentional and very strategic incompetence leads to much higher revenue ... BMW finance guru recommendation to the service department. A terrific business model by BMW NA .

Last edited by musa; 10-15-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
g.diddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post

While removing summer wheels, all the torques were way off on lug nuts. I could hardly budge one of them with 16" breaker bar. Others quite a struggle as well. I consistency in values, and all well past the 105lb ft needed. No way I would be able to use lug wrench to change on roadside.

I just had brakes replaced all around, so thanks you BMW dealership for the wonderful attention to detail. The clicking manifested after the brake work. Jesus. Proper torquing technique is like mechanic potty training.

That's last straw with this dealer. Sick of their lack of attention and general incompetence. I just visited them to start a new X5 purchase for wife....not any more.
I had the "clicking noise" when I turned my wheels as well.
After several back and forths with the dealer, found there is a service bulletin on this.

Friction discs installed per bulletin 34 05 15 to eliminate a "clicking" noise when turning.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.diddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post

I had the "clicking noise" when I turned my wheels as well.
After several back and forths with the dealer, found there is a service bulletin on this.

Friction discs installed per bulletin 34 05 15 to eliminate a "clicking" noise when turning.
There you go! Maybe it will come back with summer wheels and I will address then.
Appreciate 0