BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Bought a cpo 2014 x5 and what a headache

It has 57k miles and has 1 year left of cpo warranty. First off I buy the car and during paperwork am told the car is not ready and will be delivered 2-3 days later. Needed spark plugs and some other crap. Okay whatever since they have me a loaner car. Finally get the car and the very next day it has this terrible knocking sound from the front suspension. I take it to a diff bmw dealer since the one I bought it at is over an hour away. They say it's a lower control arm and not covered under cpo...great. I call and take it back to where I bought it and they fix it the driver side under good will. Bring it home and notice the sound a lot more faint but coming from the passenger side now.

This is so frustrating as I am wasting 3 hours just in driving to drop it off and then another 3 hours to pick it up. Are they retarded only checking the driver side?! Wouldn't they be able to see the passenger side is messed up too or change both at the same time. Now I have to wait to see if they will even fix the passenger side since this was all done on "good will".

Sorry to vent just so frustrated in buying this x5 already. I traded in my beloved 2017 ford raptor for lower payments and am now enduring so much stress
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone changed out the lower control arms on their own? They are pretty cheap and simple looking. How long do they take to swap out?
Appreciate 1
sjv3.00
      05-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

What was wrong with the lower control arm? Damaged by previous owner?

Hope everything works out. Hang in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam View Post
It has 57k miles and has 1 year left of cpo warranty. First off I buy the car and during paperwork am told the car is not ready and will be delivered 2-3 days later. Needed spark plugs and some other crap. Okay whatever since they have me a loaner car. Finally get the car and the very next day it has this terrible knocking sound from the front suspension. I take it to a diff bmw dealer since the one I bought it at is over an hour away. They say it's a lower control arm and not covered under cpo...great. I call and take it back to where I bought it and they fix it the driver side under good will. Bring it home and notice the sound a lot more faint but coming from the passenger side now.

This is so frustrating as I am wasting 3 hours just in driving to drop it off and then another 3 hours to pick it up. Are they retarded only checking the driver side?! Wouldn't they be able to see the passenger side is messed up too or change both at the same time. Now I have to wait to see if they will even fix the passenger side since this was all done on "good will".

Sorry to vent just so frustrated in buying this x5 already. I traded in my beloved 2017 ford raptor for lower payments and am now enduring so much stress
I'm sorry..bmw is a hit or miss..I'm dealing with many issue too
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Guy View Post

Quote:

Im not exactly sure. The sheet just says they changed out the front driver lower control arm. I'm not even sure I want to drive all the way there again even if they say they'll fix the passenger side. I almost just want to do it myself at this point
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Quote:

That sucks man. Seems like every used bmw I get has so many issues. Thought cpo would be perfect but apparently the shit that breaks they just claim wear and tear. My new f80 m3 was so stress free. Will probably never buy a used bmw again.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Kewl X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

There is a service interval bulletin about this issue and they should have replaced both sides with new improved control arm parts.

This is from another thread on Bimmerpost:
I just got my car back from the dealer and they said there was a bulletin about this. Front lower control arms. They replaced both on my car. SIB 31 03 17...I couldn't find that SIB with a google search. The notes say they replaced both lower wishbones with improved parts with Index # 05+. Not sure what all that means. P/N 31-12-6-864-821 & -822
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I’d never own one of these out of warranty, so I’m glad you have CPO coverage. Not living close to the dealership is obviously a hassle.

Why did you get rid of your Raptor? I would have kept that over an X5...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #9
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'd never own one of these out of warranty, so I'm glad you have CPO coverage. Not living close to the dealership is obviously a hassle.

Quote:
I'd never own one of these out of warranty, so I'm glad you have CPO coverage. Not living close to the dealership is obviously a hassle.

Loved the raptor and didn't want to get rid of it but I wanted a lower payment. My payment got cut in half
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Loved the raptor and didn't want to get rid of it but I wanted a lower payment. My payment got cut in half
So are the control arms supposed to be covered under cpo warranty? I was told the lower control arms are out of warranty at 50k miles and considered wear and tear
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So are the control arms supposed to be covered under cpo warranty? I was told the lower control arms are out of warranty at 50k miles and considered wear and tear
I have a 2015 with 49K miles and the passenger side suspension is making a nasty noise. Taking it in, will ask if it would be covered or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
Dang, mine has 46k. I wonder if I should look into getting these replaced under the bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #13
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

CPO inspection is dependant on the dealer. Some just rush through it and probably don't even actually inspect it. I test drove a CPO 740 before and it was making weird noises. Best to get a PPI just to be on the safe side.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 1
Cheche10.00
      05-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Eh. Don't get too stressed. Get her fixed and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer called me back and they are going to look at it again and get it resolved. Just sucks it's so damn far away. United bmw definitely gets the a+ that they are known for
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Thought cpo would be perfect but apparently the shit that breaks they just claim wear and tear.
CPO stands for Customer Pays Out.
Appreciate 9
CatalinP586.50
Wavy1139.50
Chadmatic660.50
menelaos1226.00
gtrsam222.00
ptm1nh202.00
      05-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #17
kendrick07
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
CPO stands for Customer Pays Out.
that's a new one for me.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #18
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

I was once blasted on this forum for advising people to be careful w/CPOs!
Reputable individuals will tell you every single problem there is...unlike dealers who mostly want to get cars off their lot.
Appreciate 3
Wavy1139.50
gtrsam222.00
iconoclast7257.50
      05-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #19
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Long ago there was a shady Audi dealership that went out of business after a long career of ripping off people. One of their scams or practices was simply signing off on the CPO checklist then only repairing, reconditioning and servicing what the customer came back and complained about. Another clever rouse they did was anyone who traded in a vehicle with a lien they did not pay-off until that vehicle sold and sometimes not even then. They had a long list of issues and eventually were banned from owning any franchise Audi dealership. They now sell collectible Porsche at nose bleed prices.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      05-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #20
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

Quote:

It's not something they can check with a visual inspection. It also won't show up when the vehicle is on the rack as it's takes 1,000+ lbs of force to move the lower control arm joints.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #21
BMW_K1D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 (F15)

Quote:
I have a 2015 with 49K miles and the passenger side suspension is making a nasty noise. Taking it in, will ask if it would be covered or not.
Bought CPO X5 x35i August 2017 and already replace front brakes, a gasket on the engine compartment, took it 3 times to the rear door rattle fix and last they replace a front lower control arm due to noise coming from front suspension. Noise is less now, but still there.

Also, vibration on steering wheel at low rpm. I just hit 35k
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J7NKMAIL View Post
Bought CPO X5 x35i August 2017 and already replace front brakes, a gasket on the engine compartment, took it 3 times to the rear door rattle fix and last they replace a front lower control arm due to noise coming from front suspension. Noise is less now, but still there.

Also, vibration on steering wheel at low rpm. I just hit 35k
What did the noise in the front suspension sound like? The noise mine makes sounds like creaking/moaning at speeds of 15 mph and below. It's extremely apparent and makes my X5 sound like an old Explorer. I'm taking it in this week.
Appreciate 0