BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #23
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is the sound I just started hearing from the steering column. Slight rubbing sound right before the column fully retracts in after turning off the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I just posted pics of removed steering column so that we can see all the bolts, but actually you don't have to remove it - there's a plastic trim that you remove under steering wheel (I think it's 2 panels held on clips/retaining lugs) and you'll have almost full access to steering column - looking from below. Motors and lever are pointing towards carpet (down) so they will be fully exposed to tinker with.

BTW I think it's that small black screw. it's on the left side of steering column when looking from below - I'm guessing it's just sticking out too much and touching the column when tilting up/down
Can anyone confirm if this is the correct screw and if it fixed the problem? Mine started doing this about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #25
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Can anyone confirm if this is the correct screw and if it fixed the problem? Mine started doing this about a month ago.
Have the same issue where this small grinding sound comes when the steering wheel moves up. Technician applied some grease to the bolt but it came right back so he's going to replace the entire steering rack...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #26
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Another squeaking column here. I'd rather just remove a bolt myself rather than take it to the dealer if someone can confirm which one it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #27
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I think I may have found the screw and potentially solved it. The squeaking noise appears to have stopped, but I guess time will tell. I went ahead and fully removed the screw based on what others have said. Hopefully this doesn't cause any further problems down the road. With that being said here is what I did:

1. Move steering wheel all the way out and all the way down. I then used a nylon pry tool to get between the covers and try to pop the upper steering column shroud up. Do this to both sides and the top portion will be loose.
(1st Image)

2. Remove the lower steering column shroud. This is done by finding the clip on both sides and pressing them outwards to release the lower trim piece.
(2nd Image)

3. You should now have both the top and bottom shrouds released.
(3rd Image)

4. On the left side near the top once reaching in you will see a black torx screw.
(4th and 5th Image)

This is what the Right side looked like. There was just a white plastic piece instead of a screw.
(6th Image)

5. Remove the black torx screw on the left side. I had torx keys in which I used to remove it. It was a T15.
(7th and 8th Image)

6. Once removed I tested moving it up and down the noise was gone. Then put everything back together.

Hopefully this fixes the problem and doesn't cause any further issues down the road.
Attached Images

Last edited by happydude; 11-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Correcting Torx Size
Appreciate 7
      11-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #28
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Thanks to HappyDude for the info. I just did this and it seems to have resolved the noise. A couple of notes:

It's a T15, not T20 bit, at least for my 2014 X5.

The T15 fit perfectly, but the screw wouldn't budge. As I tried to turn it, it actually broke. There was no unscrewing it now, but I figured it must be a very soft metal. I used a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer and a couple of light taps broke off both sides. Obviously this isn't ideal, but want to share in case someone else runs into a broken screw.

While I had it open I went ahead and applied a few dabs of white lithium grease to all the moving parts. Quiet as a mouse now.
Appreciate 1
happydude135.00
      11-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
K-no
Private
Rep
Drives: nissan 350z nismo, Bmw x5M ,x4

interesting I have the same issue here in Florida. trust me it's not temperature based because its 100* here and it still squeaks like hell. thank you for the detailed DIY. I'm gonna attempt this when the weather cools down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #30
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X3=5 View Post
Thanks to HappyDude for the info. I just did this and it seems to have resolved the noise. A couple of notes:

It's a T15, not T20 bit, at least for my 2014 X5.

The T15 fit perfectly, but the screw wouldn't budge. As I tried to turn it, it actually broke. There was no unscrewing it now, but I figured it must be a very soft metal. I used a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer and a couple of light taps broke off both sides. Obviously this isn't ideal, but want to share in case someone else runs into a broken screw.

While I had it open I went ahead and applied a few dabs of white lithium grease to all the moving parts. Quiet as a mouse now.
Thanks you are correct. I just verified with the bolt I removed that it is a T15. I will edit my original post.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #31
Mike Whitney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2008 M5, 2002 M3+

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2024 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks for the tips everyone. I just backed the screw out and it's blissfully quiet now.

Couple additional tips:
- Instead of using a pry tool on the upper cover, first unsnap the top fabric strip (four snap pins, pull straight up), then grab the rear lip of the top plastic cover and pull up. No prying needed
- To fully remove the lower cover for good access, there are 4 things to be unhooked: (1) the steering wheel switch plugs into behind the steering wheel. Pulls right out. (2) the wire for the key sensor is tough to unplug but there is NO latch. Just grab with a needlenose. (3) and (4) are wire harness clips that pull right out by hand.
- Once you remove the lower cover, the steering wheel switch can be separated from the cover by pushing it from the inside out. Then you can plug it back in and articulate the wheel and see what's happening if desired (not necessary)

My screw had loctite on it but backed out pretty easily. I left it in place turned out maybe 4 turns. Not sure what the purpose is, but I would guess that it's a set screw designed to eliminate any side-to-side play in the assembly as the pivots wear over time. Everything on my 70k mile X5 is really tight, no need for this screw to compensate for play (yet).

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 3
thezarb14.00
dennik9.00
beats225.00
      12-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #32
vickym68
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

X5 2018 from steering wheel compartment .. NOT DURING TURNING THE WHEELS

Hi everyone,
I am new here on this forum and would like your expertise in recognizing the issue as close as possible as I had no luck taking my x5 2018 to dealership multiple time as they say that they cannot duplicate it . Where as I do experience it every now and then. I am also uploading the audio files for reference as well if not clear please don't mind using headphones.

Model: X5 2018
Problem screeching or sparking noise most prominent near steering compartment. and its not when I turn steering to left or right to maximum, its when I driving straight on highways and it will for sure be there after an hour of driving anyways
When: when you drive it for around half n hour on speed ranging from 80 kmph to 100 kmph, temp range between 18 to 22 inside vehicle and outside -20 to +25 degrees
Once it starts coming it stays and become very prominent.

Hope the audio file attached works as there was no option for uploading an audio or video file so I converted it to zip file.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: zip Voice_002-_AudioTrimmer.com_1_.zip (158.0 KB, 145 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #33
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Here's a link to the TSB. They inform the tech to apply lube to the back of that small t15 torx bolt. However, as reported by other forum members.. Turning the screw out or removing it completely has seem to be the better solution. I hope this further helps.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47195-9999.pdf

Last edited by ~ViO~; 12-26-2019 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #34
jamesetiawan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F86 X6M

I had the same issue a while ago. I have extended warranty by ally auto and the replaced it with only the deductible to be paid.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #35
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, F15 X5 40d, E90 330i

My steering column was replaced while under warranty as it developed a noise and eventually stoped going up and down.

Now im out of warranty and it started being noisy again. I opened it up and my bolt wasnt there... I contact sprayed the moving parts but noise still persists once going over rough roads meaning noise is from elsewhere.

2015 x5 40d
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #36
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Reviving an old thread, but I searched for days until I came across this fix.

Can confirm, remove that screw completely fixes the screeching noise from the telescoping steering wheel motor. Similar to another user above, the head of the screw cracked off when I tried to remove it, so I just broke the back of the screw off using a screw driver and hammer. Clarkson would be proud.

I could tell the previous owner had tried to remedy with WD-40, as several moving parts had a little rust from their over-application.

Wanted to share my experience for the next poor soul looking for this fix as well.

Thanks internet!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #37
leut dan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

The telescope function on my steering column stopped functioning this morning. After finding and reading this thread, I pulled the steering column apart only to find the black screw had already been removed.

I started looking at all of the moving joints and the original six-year-old grease. All of the joints were almost dry to the touch with a bit of black grease on the screws. I ended up lubing everything with white lithium grease one function at a time, checking for changes in motor sounds after each. After moving everything on the column around a couple of times I took a rag and cleaned everything up.

I'm not sure if lithium grease is the preferred lubricant I can say the servo motors sound a lot healthier.

Those in extreme temperatures, those tight tolerances mixed with expansion and contraction of the of the metal may be drying out those connections. The steering column has a lot of metal on metal moving parts for two small servos.

I would recommend putting a rag down before greasing anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #38
RandyBMC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 740iL

I had this issue as well. 2015 X5. I removed the set screw, white lithium greased the actuator, and ran it up and down a few times. Sound got better until it was finally quiet. Turned off the car and it returned to the up position. Then when I turn it back on, the steering column would only move in and out - up and down clicks and doesn’t move (like a solenoid sound to the motor). I’m guessing the motor finally just quit! Any ideas if there is a repair for this? I’d rather not replace the entire column. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #39
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

I just coded the column out when it was fully working and called it a day. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #40
RandyBMC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 740iL

It won’t move up and down now. Anything I can code to turn it back on? It clicks when you use the up or down button, but the motor won’t move the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #41
rcrouse2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Different model car maybe??

I've got a 2011 X5 E70 series with this same problem. I removed the top and bottom panels as your instructions show but cannot locate any set screw on the left or right sides. I also do not see the yellow electrical connector shown in the pics.
Is my model BMW different from what you have?

If so, does anyone know what I can try on an E70 series X5 to fix the problem? I'm hearing sounds from the steering column motor that it's trying to do something but nothing is happening. I'm guessing it's stuck somehow.

Thanks,
Rich
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #42
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrouse2 View Post
I've got a 2011 X5 E70 series with this same problem. I removed the top and bottom panels as your instructions show but cannot locate any set screw on the left or right sides. I also do not see the yellow electrical connector shown in the pics.
Is my model BMW different from what you have?

If so, does anyone know what I can try on an E70 series X5 to fix the problem? I'm hearing sounds from the steering column motor that it's trying to do something but nothing is happening. I'm guessing it's stuck somehow.

Thanks,
Rich
I think E70 had different steering column, you better ask in E70 section.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #43
rcrouse2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Anyone have a process for fixing this issue on a 2011 X5 E70? I've taken off the top and bottom panels from the around the steering column and mine looks completely different from the F15 version and I see no Torx screw. Thanks, Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #44
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Has anyone
Appreciate 0