BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

UK Tyre advice

Hi all, this is the first 4WD car I have ever owned, F15 Msport 40d.

Rear tyres are now currently close to needing replaced with 26k miles on the clock.

Fronts still have plenty of life left in them.

Currently Pirelli’s all round.

Not going to go down the non run flat route, because I travel to a lot of remote parts of Scotland where run flats will be very beneficial if I ever get a puncture.

Looking at Dunlop Sportmaxx GT’s for the new rears, would there be any real issues in having the 2 different brands across front and rear?

Previous experience with RWD cars tells me that sometimes cars can be difficult if the fronts and rears aren’t compatible with each other.

Views and opnions much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Now on my 3rd set of tyres (bought second hand with tyres close to end of life). Tyres have worn pretty evenly front and rear, so I've swallowed hard and replaced all 4 at a tune. Dunlop first, then Bridgestone. Not sure whether my experience is unusual or yours. If you didn't have the 40d (same as me) I'd wonder if you had S-Drive. Note also, lots of posts in this forum about uneven front-rear tyre sizes (new and old) causing issues with the 4-wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Car doesn't get driven particularly hard, although it does negotiate a lot of roundabouts.....

I travel through East Kilbride twice a week....

Also does a fair bit of country roads as well, with regular trips up to the islands, so not sure if that would have some impact?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Cornwall X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30D

UK Tyre Advice

I have a similar issue my 17 Plate X5 is needing new rears at 22K and i would like to use the Dunlops to replace the Pirelli's but I am worried about differing manufactures tyres upsetting the xdrive.

Any views out there?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
Markbebb
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 4d m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall X5 View Post
I have a similar issue my 17 Plate X5 is needing new rears at 22K and i would like to use the Dunlops to replace the Pirelli's but I am worried about differing manufactures tyres upsetting the xdrive.

Any views out there?
I've mixed Bridgestone and Dunlop. No issues
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #6
vinnyip
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 16

I had the Pirelli run-flats before, noticed a lot of tyre noise on rough road surfaces.

I switch to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV, noticed the tyre noise was a lot better. Tons of grip from the tyre as well.
Can't really comment on wet weather though, haven't used the car much during rain.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #7
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyip View Post
I had the Pirelli run-flats before, noticed a lot of tyre noise on rough road surfaces.

I switch to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV, noticed the tyre noise was a lot better. Tons of grip from the tyre as well.
Can't really comment on wet weather though, haven't used the car much during rain.
I also use these tyres, and love them, but the OP is looking for run flats....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
I also use these tyres, and love them, but the OP is looking for run flats....
Yeah, needs to be runflats as I really don't wanted stranded on one of the islands if I get a puncture
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:37 AM   #9
vinnyip
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Yeah, needs to be runflats as I really don't wanted stranded on one of the islands if I get a puncture
The goodyear tyres I have are run-flat tyres, checkout black circle
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyip View Post
The goodyear tyres I have are run-flat tyres, checkout black circle
Only up until 19" wheel size I believe, 20" and above are not runflats...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Hi all, this is the first 4WD car I have ever owned, F15 Msport 40d.

Rear tyres are now currently close to needing replaced with 26k miles on the clock.

Fronts still have plenty of life left in them.

Currently Pirelli’s all round.

Not going to go down theis non run flat route, because I travel to a lot of remote parts of Scotland where run flats will be very beneficial if I ever get a puncture.

Looking at Dunlop Sportmaxx GT’s for the new rears, would there be any real issues in having the 2 different brands across front and rear?

Previous experience with RWD cars tells me that sometimes cars can be difficult if the fronts and rears aren’t compatible with each other.

Views and opnions much appreciated.

Scott,

If that is your real name :-)

Tires (tyres) of different manufacturer/type can have different performance characteristics and will offer varying levels of grip.

But so will having tires with different tread depths, so different manufacturers may not be the only thing to consider.

FWIW, my 35i used up the rear tires much faster then fronts as well. I ended up replacing the 21's with 20's so everything got replaced. Were I to have stayed with the 21's, I would have simply replaced the rears.

Now, and I'm guessing on this, are you running a square combination (all four tires are the same size). If so, you might consider putting the better (newer) tires on the front.

And to answer your question.... one of my cars has different tires front to rear, so in my opinion it's ok to mix tires front to rear. But you will get a bunch of people saying don't do it....

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Scott,

If that is your real name :-)

Tires (tyres) of different manufacturer/type can have different performance characteristics and will offer varying levels of grip.

But so will having tires with different tread depths, so different manufacturers may not be the only thing to consider.

FWIW, my 35i used up the rear tires much faster then fronts as well. I ended up replacing the 21's with 20's so everything got replaced. Were I to have stayed with the 21's, I would have simply replaced the rears.

Now, and I'm guessing on this, are you running a square combination (all four tires are the same size). If so, you might consider putting the better (newer) tires on the front.

And to answer your question.... one of my cars has different tires front to rear, so in my opinion it's ok to mix tires front to rear. But you will get a bunch of people saying don't do it....

Mike
Mike,

Yes it is my real name.

Not a square set up. Car is a UK MSport, so the set up is staggered so front tyres cannot go on the rear.

Thats why I titled the post UK tyre advice, as I'm aware that there are a lot more cars in the US that are not on the staggered set up.

Thanks
Appreciate 0