BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
klanbo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15) 40D

F15 Reverse camera OEM retrofit

So I've just bought an X5 40D Msport for the wife (manufactured in Sep-15). I got it from BCA car auctions and it was a bit last minute so didn't check the specification in too much detail. Got it for £3-4k below retail value so can't complain too much, but surround view is something I've found useful on cars of this size, as I had it on my previous X5 (E70). I think it definitely helps save the wheels and the wheels on her old Cayenne took quite a beating

Anyway, surround view retrofit will be too expensive but I think the reverse camera will be worth the effort. I was just looking for confirmation on the setup from anyone who's done this already.

From what I can gather, the F15 doesn't need a separate module, the camera connects directly to the head unit, unless the car has more than 1 camera or video output in which case it goes via a module.

BMW have quoted me around £625 for the kit, but Emtronika (on eBay) have a kit for £299. I'm thinking of going for that but have a couple of questions.

1. Is my assumption correct that there is no need for a separate ICAM 4 ECU module, the camera connects directly to head unit via a separate loom?

2. Is the camera specific to this car or will any of the F series rear cameras be ok?

3. If I bought a used camera and module, would that give me the option of adding more cameras later? I.e under mirror and front cameras. I've been looking at this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372707177443

I don't think I'll have any issues fitting as I'm pretty handy with cars but just want to make sure my assumptions are correct.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Have you checked out Bimmer tech
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
klanbo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

I have thanks, but if all I'm paying for is the camera, boot handle and effectively a HSD cable with a couple of extra bits I think $900 is way too much, considering you can pick up a cheap camera on eBay for around £100. That's some expensive cable!

Definitely want OEM, like the idea of being able to add front camera and screen mirroring with the MMI unit but camera looks to be of lesser quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Seems like for £1400 you can get the surround view retrofit. Did you check this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1595721
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
klanbo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Seems like for £1400 you can get the surround view retrofit. Did you check this thread:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1595721
Thanks for that, was actually really useful. I had seen a similar post with the full surround retrofit where someone had just bought the mirror bottoms instead of the whole mirror assembly, but it wasn't on an X5 (think it was a 7 series) so thought the setup might be different. Curious to know whether all F15/F16s have the camera loom in the doors or the guy in the thread above was just lucky.

Emtronika have told me they'll sell me the loom for £100, so that just leaves me to find a genuine rear camera. Still not sure if I need a specific camera or if they are all the same across the f series. Will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they'll give me a part number.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
richiiuk
Rep
Drives: mini

Garage List
2021 X5 50d  [0.00]
2017 X6 Msport  [0.00]
Hi I bought the kit from emtronika for my f15, the camera is genuine and comes with the handle including boot release switch. The loom however is not genuine and needed some work.
The loom has 7 wires from it 3 to head unit, 2 to rear fusebox for power and 2 can wires to BDC controller. The wires to the BDC were too short as uk cars have this in the left passenger footwell, where as european cars have this in the right footwell and hense didnt reach (they all come with the genuine pins already crimped on the end for inserting into the cars connectors). I had to splice an extension piece in around a foot from the end. Also you will have to buy a 120ohm resistor to splice into the can wires near the back of the car this is not included and no provision is made in the supplied loom, again a cut and splice job. Unfortunately i havent got it working as my skills with Esys coding/flashing fall somewhat short, although i can see the Icam ecu in the camera through esys and have VO coded the relavant ecu's. Buy some spare trim clips before you start they are easy to break.
You cant use any camera it has to be the correct icam type as the ecu is in the camera itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
ceeps15
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanbo View Post
I have thanks, but if all I'm paying for is the camera, boot handle and effectively a HSD cable with a couple of extra bits I think $900 is way too much, considering you can pick up a cheap camera on eBay for around £100. That's some expensive cable!

Definitely want OEM, like the idea of being able to add front camera and screen mirroring with the MMI unit but camera looks to be of lesser quality.
Hi did you get this sorted if so how?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

I did this a while back ago. Go for the retro fit. OEM backup cost me over $2k
Appreciate 0