BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #1057
lam1358
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

1. Tailgate rattles (self fixed)
2. Transfer case tugging issues with stagger set. (gone with 467 square set, was 469 set)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #1058
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

Quote:
My wife's 2016 X6 xDrive35i seems to be running rough. We just had a general service including new spark plugs, filters, brake fluid and oil service.

There aren't any idiot lights but something is not right. The service company, independent but former BMW service tech, suggested it might be a bad coil that misses occasionally but not long enough to trigger a code.

To have him replace the coils isn't too ridiculously high but I just replaced coils myself in my 2000 Land Cruiser and saved myself a lot of money. The Land Cruiser coils themselves were more than the BMW installed quote and the Toyota required removing a lot of stuff to even access the coils.

Is it easy to DIY? What coils are recommended?

Anything else that might be causing the problem?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
I've been having similar symptoms intermittently lately and we just did plugs, oil and such at 28k and as of today I'm at 33,4xx. I couldn't feel it driving today but I'll keep an eye on it and do a coil pack replacement with Eldors if needed. No ghost codes with BimmerLink present either.
We went ahead and changed the coils and it didn't seem to fix the issue. The service tech mentioned our software is out of date and that can sometimes cause issues. With MPPK we would need to have it done at a dealer. Is it worth trying or just more money down the rabbit hole? I can't say I notice it very much but I don't drive her car very often. She notices it most when going up hills. I can't imagine it would be an issue but I did install aftermarket speakers, amplifiers, a subwoofer and DSP but the OEM head unit shouldn't no the difference. . Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:03 AM   #1059
bimmaone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 xDrive35i

Garage List
Got my f15 2018 last January. Almost immediately felt wheel had a tendency to the right. Thought might need an alignment.

Finally got alignment done in June. The wheel still right leaning. Mentioned to the alignment guy who responded it could be an electronic fault with power steering system and to check in with dealer.

The obvious impact on my daily driving is changing lane to the left feels like I'm over steering. Like my wrist has to twist instead of a quick tip. Plan on going to dealership soon. Anyone noticed similar issue?
2006-03-28 E90 325i N52 [TOTALED]
2012-09-06 F30 328i N20
2018-01-18 F15 xDrive35i N55
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #1060
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaone View Post
Got my f15 2018 last January. Almost immediately felt wheel had a tendency to the right. Thought might need an alignment.

Finally got alignment done in June. The wheel still right leaning. Mentioned to the alignment guy who responded it could be an electronic fault with power steering system and to check in with dealer.

The obvious impact on my daily driving is changing lane to the left feels like I'm over steering. Like my wrist has to twist instead of a quick tip. Plan on going to dealership soon. Anyone noticed similar issue?
I'd re-calibrate the steering sensor angle. Would be my first step.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #1061
bimmaone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaone View Post

I'd re-calibrate the steering sensor angle. Would be my first step.
Thanks Scotty. Will do
2006-03-28 E90 325i N52 [TOTALED]
2012-09-06 F30 328i N20
2018-01-18 F15 xDrive35i N55
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #1062
Cclet21
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X5

f15 x5 Tranfer case issues please advise !

OK, This may be long but I am at my end on trying to figure this out: I have never come across this, My truck started shifting and surging at low speeds when I drive. I felt it in the front so I thought it was the ENGINE MOUNTS changed! this got a little better, then I could feel it right under my seat in the drive train: Changed GUIBLO DISK AND TRANNY SHAFT GUIDE. Problem still happening, Transfer Case mount : Changed and now I am still having the issue. SHUDDERING! Can anyone please advise on a possible solution!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #1063
ahmad1985
SPC
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cclet21 View Post
OK, This may be long but I am at my end on trying to figure this out: I have never come across this, My truck started shifting and surging at low speeds when I drive. I felt it in the front so I thought it was the ENGINE MOUNTS changed! this got a little better, then I could feel it right under my seat in the drive train: Changed GUIBLO DISK AND TRANNY SHAFT GUIDE. Problem still happening, Transfer Case mount : Changed and now I am still having the issue. SHUDDERING! Can anyone please advise on a possible solution!!!!!!
Try to see if you can get transfercase fluid changed and get it recalibrated. But do make sure it is recalibrated after fluid change. That should do the trick if it does not then you might need to replace the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #1064
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
How old are you tires? My transfer case shudder seems to have been solved by changing to a new set of tires. Old ones had 45k+ miles on them and were 6-7 years old on sidewall.

I have diff and transfer case fluids on hand so am still going to do those in the near future as well, but after 350+ miles the tires seem to have cured the problem in my case.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #1065
runz12s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Transmission fluid
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #1066
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Here is mine.

Also for sale. Thinking of upgrading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:41 AM   #1067
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Installsplus View Post
This is an odd place to post this..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #1068
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
This is an odd place to post this..
Shit wrong forum sorry🤭
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 12:15 AM   #1069
bigfwop
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, F15 X35I

Strange Vibration

Haven't been able to isolate this vibration issue for some time and was wondering if I could get some thoughts on this one. Currently driving an X35i x drive with 3rd row and M sport package. I seem to have vibration predominantly in the 2nd row seats from essentially all speeds. Even Sub 15 miles an hour. It's is more noticeable over rougher roads even as low speeds 10-15 mph. Typical vibration experience is a very quick jolt type vibration which is correlated with road surface. Additional context below

-Stock wheels
-Correct tire size
-Balanced wheel's tires
-Front axle joint has negligible play
-Guidbo and center support bearing good condition.
-Transfer case bushing in good condition.
-3rd row doesn't feel it. Only second row.
-Engine mounts are good
-Air suspension bags are good
-Rear subframe bushings look suspect but could be normal. Will post pictures here in a minute.

I'm not sure if these photos are normal or not of if subframe bushings could even cause an issue like this. Anyone here familiar with this type of configuraiton? I'm hoping it's something that someone has encountered before.

First two photos are of the left side subframe bushing and last two are of the right side bushing? Anyone generous enough to check to see if theirs are similar to mine? I haven't found images online of hows these come from factory. In my humble opinion; they look suspect.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigfwop; 09-23-2021 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling/grammar
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #1070
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

oh man I have this problem too, it feels like the rear suspension is bottoming out right?

the front suspension feels fine tho

my car is a 2018 3.5 cpo with only 24K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfwop View Post
Haven't been able to isolate this vibration issue for some time and was wondering if I could get some thoughts on this one. Currently driving an X35i x drive with 3rd row and M sport package. I seem to have vibration predominantly in the 2nd row seats from essentially all speeds. Even Sub 15 miles an hour. It's is more noticeable over rougher roads even as low speeds 10-15 mph. Typical vibration experience is a very quick jolt type vibration which is correlated with road surface. Additional context below

-Stock wheels
-Correct tire size
-Balanced wheel's tires
-Front axle joint has negligible play
-Guidbo and center support bearing good condition.
-Transfer case bushing in good condition.
-3rd row doesn't feel it. Only second row.
-Engine mounts are good
-Air suspension bags are good
-Rear subframe bushings look suspect but could be normal. Will post pictures here in a minute.

I'm not sure if these photos are normal or not of if subframe bushings could even cause an issue like this. Anyone here familiar with this type of configuraiton? I'm hoping it's something that someone has encountered before.

First two photos are of the left side subframe bushing and last two are of the right side bushing? Anyone generous enough to check to see if theirs are similar to mine? I haven't found images online of hows these come from factory. In my humble opinion; they look suspect.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #1071
bigfwop
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, F15 X35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008bimmerM3 View Post
oh man I have this problem too, it feels like the rear suspension is bottoming out right?

the front suspension feels fine tho

my car is a 2018 3.5 cpo with only 24K miles
I asked a fellow X5 35i owner and he said his bushings look exactly the same on both sides (not like mine) it’s definitely a quick shimmy type feeling. I’m guessing behavior vary’s depending on how bad it is. What do your bushings look like? I’m contemplating replacing it this week but I’m not sure what kits will work so far but I’m convinced it’s clapped out for some reason. 100k is my mileage. I wouldn’t say this is typical wear but maybe others have reported this somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #1072
astangeby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15)

Hi everyone has an X5 2018 model Where the driver's door whizzes and rumbles (whistles) especially at higher speeds .. have realized it can be a known problem .. still 2 year new car warranty on it .. sounds like air leakage / noise, is really annoying ..

What to do? someone who has run into the same problem ....?
Another thing I have read about is that one must ask the dealer to open a PUMA case against BMW to get help from BMW on such a case, for example? I think rubber seals etc must be replaced by BMW on warranty ...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #1073
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by astangeby View Post
Hi everyone has an X5 2018 model Where the driver's door whizzes and rumbles (whistles) especially at higher speeds .. have realized it can be a known problem .. still 2 year new car warranty on it .. sounds like air leakage / noise, is really annoying ..

What to do? someone who has run into the same problem ....?
Another thing I have read about is that one must ask the dealer to open a PUMA case against BMW to get help from BMW on such a case, for example? I think rubber seals etc must be replaced by BMW on warranty ...
yup mine does the same thing, its normal and part of the bmw brand
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #1074
Nathan23
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5m f85 e46 m3

Welcome lights main beams code

Hey guys this has me buggered have a 2016 x5m f85 with led headlights can I ( and if can how do I ) code the main beam and or high beam to turn on with welcome lights I got the fog lights to which I don't really like but want the other beams to come on instead, I don't want to start messing with expert mode on bimmercode without knowing what to code can someone please help out
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #1075
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Sometimes on a hot start, I feel some shakiness for about 3-5 seconds then it goes away. The same thing was happening to my previous F10, the same N55 engine was told it's a turbo wastegate. Anyone else with the same behavior? I have only 35k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #1076
gutierrezb27
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 50i

I have 2016 X5 50i, and have some concerns I'm unsure about and was hoping to get some help. I'm stage 2 Bootmod,with downpipes.
i don't push the car, I pretty much drive like a grandpa to work and back.

- at cold starts, car seems to be rough idleing. You can feel the car vibrating/shaking. once in a while when i don't have time to warm up the car and i just drive. the car seems like its about to stall/hesitates to take off.

- ive noticed that after driving lets say on the highway or a long road, white smoke comes from the rear. even if the car is warm or cold it still happens. enough smoke for it to travel to the front and be visible to me and the passenger.

- I do oil changes every 4-6k miles, but in between oil changes i have to add 2-3 quarts of oil .

what is your opinion on what could be causing this? (spark plugs were replaced maybe 15k miles ago. (+ lower control arms, links,) )
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #1077
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutierrezb27 View Post
I have 2016 X5 50...

- at cold starts, car seems to be rough idleing. You can feel the car vibrating/shaking. once in a while when i don't have time to warm up the car and i just drive. the car seems like its about to stall/hesitates to take off.

- ive noticed that after driving lets say on the highway or a long road, white smoke comes from the rear. even if the car is warm or cold it still happens. enough smoke for it to travel to the front and be visible to me and the passenger.

- I do oil changes every 4-6k miles, but in between oil changes i have to add 2-3 quarts of oil .

what is your opinion on what could be causing this? (spark plugs were replaced maybe 15k miles ago. (+ lower control arms, links,) )
I don't know about your rough idle issue, is the X5 throwing any codes?

The smoking issue sounds like valve stem seals. Especially if you are adding oil at that pace. What oil do you use?

Try adding some AT-205 to your oil to recondition the seals. On your next oil change you can add some Lucas Oil Stabilizer as well. That's how I keep the oil consumption (and smoking issue) in check on my N62 V8 powered X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #1078
britord
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
great pics.
Appreciate 1