BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
batlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

HUD Intermittent

I know a few others have posted Intermittent HUD issues.
My HUD one day just wasn't on. Figured it was a glitch and the next start up the HUD worked fine for a few weeks. That was about 2 months ago. Now just about every other startup the HUD is gone. If I go into iDrive to enable the HUD the Box momentarily checks and then unchecks. If I stop the car I need to leave the car for a bit before coming back and starting it, this typically will cause the HUD to be off but if I click the check box on iDrive the HUD will boot.
It is getting to where I am driving about 50% of the time without a HUD and (I know first world problems) I am finding I really miss it.
2014 X5 35i Out of Warranty but still CPO

Does anyone know if CPO warranty will cover this?
Does anyone know of the cost to replace the HUD unit?
I read somewhere on older F15s that there was a TSB for this, can anyone point me to this?

Update:
In doing testing, I found that when I could enable the HUD (not grayed out) it still would not show up... but If I brought the height down enough I could sometimes see part of the hud. Basically the HUD was shifting up (but shifting up WAY more then could be compensated with controls) Other time the HUD option was just grayed out and I couldn't do anything until the next start.

Last week I started my X5 and it did not start with the first push, sounded like a bad battery and with another push of the start button it had a Hard start but still started. I noticed though that the HUD was working again, right in the middle of the display. Figuring this was just another one of the intermittent "sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't" i thought nothing of it. I started the car once more that day and the HUD was working fine. Next morning I again had a hard start but once it started HUD was working. I took the car to my local BMW mechanic and they tested and confirmed the battery was bad. Got a new battery and the HUD has worked flawlessly ever since.

Last edited by batlin; 08-13-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
leftbank
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=hud

dont know if you've read this post but it seems to be common-ish.
not sure if CPO would cover it. You can always ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
robbief00
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34, 2015 F15 M Sport

I was having the exact same issues as OP. HUD wouldn't display about every other trip and when it did, the height would randomly be too high or low.

I just replaced the battery and everything is back working great again. Apparently if your battery is older and has a low state of health, it doesn't have enough current/voltage to tilt the mirrors consistently.

I was surprised that my battery was still the original (~5 years old) even though it was a CPO. I purchased the AutoCraft Platinum H9-AGM from Advance Auto Parts that has the same specs as the OEM one and registered it with Bimmerlink.
Appreciate 0