BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
PanzEragon23
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

LED Welcome Carpet Lighting aka Angel Wings retrofit

I want to add exterior lighting "Angel Wings" or "LED Welcome Carpet" to my 2018 X5.
I already have the part, and it is a DIY kind of task but I'm bad at electrical stuff, therefore seeking professional help or guidance.
Has anyone done it it yet?

Product description:
Easily fix the product's mount to the metal bar on BMW vehicle's underpan behind the jack point.
Use the chassis drain hole for wiring or behind the front wheel mud flap.DO NOT DRILL for wiring.
It CANNOT be hooked up to engine power wire or any power wire whose voltage is greater than 24 V. Make sure the power wire voltage is within 12V-24V. DO NOT connect it to car’s engine power wire! Voltage over 24V will damage the product!
How to display "Angel Wings", the following are some options:

(1) If this product is connected to the reading light wire, it will display "Angel Wings" when unlocking the vehicle.

(2) If you connect this product to the fog lamp wire, "Angel Wings" will appear when the fog lamp is turned on.

5. Preference is to have it turn ON on UNLOCK and TURN OFF on lock, ON while driving.

YouTube reference HELP video:

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

Hi, I installed them on my 2018 X5 40e. They work great. They are connected to the door handle LEDs, thus they turn on when unlocking the car, opening the doors, welcome lights and also on reverse with coding to have door handle LEDs on. I followed the tutorial in this post (find it half way) the cables for the door handle LEDs are the same as the f15: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hp?p=24090974#

They weren't hard to install after I knew how to get the cables into the cabin and to which cable I was going to piggyback from. The install looks great, everything is hidden.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Why do I always get a strange feeling, when new members posts a question about a new product, and another new member answers it right away...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Why do I always get a strange feeling, when new members posts a question about a new product, and another new member answers it right away...

Well - maybe a new member came to ask a question and a newish lurker finally found a post he could help with so he signed up and answered?

Either that or it is a vendor waiting for the "where can I buy those????" that usually come. Struck out here. =)
      02-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I get your point... I just happened to have done this install recently on the same car and thought that I could assist with information, considering that it took me some time to figure it out. As you can read in my post I never mentioned any product for sale or which led light I used.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Well - maybe a new member came to ask a question and a newish lurker finally found a post he could help with so he signed up and answered?

Either that or it is a vendor waiting for the "where can I buy those????" that usually come. Struck out here. =)
Yup, I wasn't sure which one it was in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.maldo View Post
Well, I get your point... I just happened to have done this install recently on the same car and thought that I could assist with information, considering that it took me some time to figure it out. As you can read in my post I never mentioned any product for sale or which led light I used.
All good. I have seen the marketing aspect done on other forums. New members happen to be the same person, trying to push a product. Then you will never see these two new members again, unless it is to bump the post, ask a follow up question etc. to get seen again.

Anyway, thank you for the reply.
If you have some pictures of them in use, post them for others to see.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

@1norseman Now that you mention it, that first post does look suspicious lol. Anyway, mine is real... I joined this forum a few months ago and have found it very helpful.
Appreciate 1
1norseman399.50
      01-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #8
ihsan262000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 LCI

Hi everyone
I would like to add a welcome carpet light to my F15, I couldn’t find a DIY guide, for those of you who did the installation would you please share it on this thread. The most important thing is the wiring, how to insert the wire into the vehicle? Identify the cables to door handles light.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsan262000 View Post
Hi everyone
I would like to add a welcome carpet light to my F15, I couldn’t find a DIY guide, for those of you who did the installation would you please share it on this thread. The most important thing is the wiring, how to insert the wire into the vehicle? Identify the cables to door handles light.

Thx

According to post #2 in this thread installation is similar to F30
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=35
Appreciate 1