BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2024, 10:25 AM   #1
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

How to turn off brake assist?

Holy cow…brake assist kicked in for the first time today…and I hate it. It slammed on the brakes when it was totally unnecessary.

I was driving about 4 car lengths behind a car and saw traffic slowing ahead of it. I started to slow and suddenly the warning beep happened and it was as if the brake pedal suddenly dropped about another inch, slamming on the brakes, and then suddenly it let go again. If someone had been close behind me they might have slammed into the back of me. I’ve been concerned with the collision detection thing because sometimes it gives me alerts simply from shadows on the road, but has never applied the brakes on its own…apparently the system required my foot to be on the brake to “ramp up”, as I don’t have active cruise control. Now I want it all off. 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:59 AM   #2
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I know that you can changed the detection warning levels to early, medium or late braking. But, I don't know if you can turn it off completely, as it's a safety feature. But you might be able to code it out, but unsure.
      05-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Turns out you CAN turn it off…but the car turns it back on with every restart 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Always found it interesting that the F85 doesn't have brake assist, but does flash the big red car icon in the HUD and on the dash literally 10 ft before you are about to hit something. I'm personally glad it doesn't have the assist....just find the warning comical. totally useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:44 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Always found it interesting that the F85 doesn't have brake assist, but does flash the big red car icon in the HUD and on the dash literally 10 ft before you are about to hit something. I'm personally glad it doesn't have the assist....just find the warning comical. totally useless.
You may have it...and just haven't been driving fast enough to have the speed differential between you and the other car. If you go into the iDrive owners manual (use keyword search for Intelligent Safety)...if you see that it discusses braking mitigation...then your F85 has the feature...you just haven't been in a situation yet where the ACUTE warning has kicked in.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:22 PM   #6
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
I hate it…mine gives me a flashing warning and beep sometimes when there is NO ONE in front of me. I think shade triggers it, but I’m not sure. I’m worried it’s gonna slam on the brakes with no one around in front and I’ll get rear ended 🤦‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:37 AM   #7
JosephSanders
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You may have it...and just haven't been driving fast enough to have the speed differential between you and the other car. If you go into the iDrive owners manual (use keyword search for Intelligent Safety)...if you see that it discusses braking mitigation...then your F85 has the feature...you just haven't been in a situation yet where the ACUTE warning has kicked in.

Thanks for sharing pictures as well.
Appreciate 0