BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
Harbor17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M

Daily driving setup

What are folks daily driving setups? I received my 2017 x5m last week and am still getting to know the vehicle but initial impression is it is a beautiful car but a bit tame in default/comfort mode, seems like the transmission wants to shift around 2000 rpm. I am coming from a Jeep GC with Hemi and that car felt like it had more power when just cruising around. I am looking for a daily mode that is relatively comfortable but allows the engine to rev a bit and generate some power, any suggestions? I have tried spot and sport + all around but seemed a little harsh for daily driving.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
My M1 button is set to sport steering, sport suspension, and sport+ engine with level 2 drivelogic in auto mode which I use mainly for commuting. I do live rurally and would probably knock the engine down to,sport for more urban.

M2 is set to Sport steering, sport+ suspension, and sport+ engine with level 3 drivelogic in manual mode and mdm on.

It's hard as it's individual but that's where I'm at, I drive an M2 comp too and any engine setting below sport seems like too much travel on the throttle if I swap between the two and catches me out, the X5 sport engine setting is about comfort in the M2.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

M1 - Steering Sport, Suspension Comfort and Engine Sport - Drivelogic on 2 Manual
M2 - Everything Sport+ Drivelogic 3 Manual.

I pretty much drive on M2 settings all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 05:11 AM   #4
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
My M1 button is set to sport steering, sport suspension, and sport+ engine with level 2 drivelogic in auto mode which I use mainly for commuting. I do live rurally and would probably knock the engine down to,sport for more urban.

M2 is set to Sport steering, sport+ suspension, and sport+ engine with level 3 drivelogic in manual mode and mdm on.

It's hard as it's individual but that's where I'm at, I drive an M2 comp too and any engine setting below sport seems like too much travel on the throttle if I swap between the two and catches me out, the X5 sport engine setting is about comfort in the M2.
Guys - if you're lowered on vtfs or springs I wouldn't drive around in comfort mode period. When the vehicle is lowered that comfort setting has too much play and for sure you'll bottom out and damage some shocks. Just my two cents.
      06-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I'm not lowered or modified at all it's as god intended.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #6
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
I'm not lowered or modified at all it's as god intended.
Ahhh ok so you're good. And FYI god likes low, street hugging grip babies with bite.
      06-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Perhaps the difference you're feeling is a turbo engine vs NA? The only thing I usually change is the engine more to high setting as everything else makes everything too harsh or the engine is sitting at a crazy high rpm. It is annoying as sometimes you just way to give it a little more gas and are expecting a shove, but....nothing. Give it even more gas, awkward pause, downshift, neck-snapping shove. Hate that. Wish this car had the F10M5 option of having a stick shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor17 View Post
What are folks daily driving setups? I received my 2017 x5m last week and am still getting to know the vehicle but initial impression is it is a beautiful car but a bit tame in default/comfort mode, seems like the transmission wants to shift around 2000 rpm. I am coming from a Jeep GC with Hemi and that car felt like it had more power when just cruising around. I am looking for a daily mode that is relatively comfortable but allows the engine to rev a bit and generate some power, any suggestions? I have tried spot and sport + all around but seemed a little harsh for daily driving.
Appreciate 0