Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_X5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
The only reason I ask it if feels slightly hollow or shallow to me when swapping between the two.
Here are my current settings. I did have to adjust the car play EQ to soft.
Ahhhh ok so the carplay has an equalizer as well.

Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #728
blakedunc235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_X5 View Post
Quote:
The only reason I ask it if feels slightly hollow or shallow to me when swapping between the two.
Here are my current settings. I did have to adjust the car play EQ to soft.
Got mine in the mail today and installed. That's very similar to how I had to set up my eq. Had weird a sound to it before but it sounds fine now after tuning. Reverse/360 cam comes on when put into reverse, but line you and others have said I have to go back to idrive for PDC cams to show. Missing and everything keeps working in the background so it's no big deal seeing as the PDC sensors still alert you to switch to the cams. So far I love it! Even Siri works very well with the mic behind the hazard lights button! I have yet to make any calls on it yet but during set up I left the idrive connected to telephone calls only that way if the quality is that bad I'll just switch to it. Small price to pay for the small price that we paid for this box! Only takes like 2 seconds to switch anyways. For those wondering it does Android Auto and airplay screen mirroring that work well too. Screen mirroring does have a slight lag however so don't expect it to be perfect.

Let me know if anybody wants me to try something else out or if anyone has questions about install
Appreciate 1
NYC_X5372.00
      10-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #729
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

Got around to installing my unit last night. Overall, took me about 3 hours, but that is mainly because I ran the additional mic to the top of the windshield near the rearview mirror and ran the option USB cord to my center console. If I didn't do those two things, I could have had the install completed in 45 minutes or even less. The most difficult part of installing the actual unit was fitting the box and wires behind the unit. With some carful maneuvering and tucking of wires, I got the unit to fit. Hopefully this thing doesn't get too hot as it's a pretty tight fit back there.

Overall satisfied with the unit. I knew the drawbacks before install so no surprises really; Laggy iDrive wheel scrolling and slight downgrade in audio quality are my two biggest gripes so far. Still haven't had time to adjust any audio settings so maybe I'll try that.

One possible modification i'd like to look into would be to always have the sound coming from my NBT Bluetooth without having to switch from AUX when CarPlay launches. Does anyone know how I could get this to work or if it's even possible?

I'll explain, the sound from my NBT bluetooth is noticeable better than the AUX from the Wireless CarPlay unit. When CarPlay Launches, it automatically connects my Car to AUX as well as automatically connects my iPhone source from my BMW 21897 "bluetooth" to "Carplay" on my actual iPhone Device. The only way I can get it to play music from my BMW bluetooth is manually going back to iDrive after CarPlay launches and switching the source from AUX to bluetooth and manually switch it on my phone as well. Does anyone know a workaround to just have my Bluetooth set as default when launching the unit? I made this work with My AVIN unit in my E70, but the settings are a little different with this device.

Moreover, even when I manually switch it over and have the sound playing from bluetooth, if I hit the menu "Siri" button, it automatically switches the source on my iPhone from BMW bluetooth, back to Carplay.

At the end of the day, I can live with the sound coming from AUX, but if there were someway to have the sound come directly from bluetooth when launching, this would be much better. I understand when connecting to your OEM bluetooth, you will not hear siri's voice, but that's okay with me as I never have siri audio on for navigation anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #730
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Anyone in the Boston area willing to help out in the install? I don't trust myself when it comes to electronics and I have to wire a Mic!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #731
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Anyone in the Boston area willing to help out in the install? I don't trust myself when it comes to electronics and I have to wire a Mic!
It's not rocket science, and there's tons on of YouTube videos out there to assist you. All you need is a T-20 torx screwdriver, some patience and some rags/towels to protect the leather. It's all plug n play. As far as the mic is concerned, there's nothing to wire. Place it behind the hazard switch or behind the iDrive display. Done!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #732
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
It's not rocket science, and there's tons on of YouTube videos out there to assist you. All you need is a T-20 torx screwdriver and some patience. It's all plug n play. As far as the mic is concerned, there's nothing to wire. Place it behind the hazard switch or behind the iDrive display.
I get it's not rocket science, I still don't trust myself in these matters.

I'm still reading people's 360 cams aren't working properly so still has me concerned even installing these module.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #733
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I'm still reading people's 360 cams are working properly so still has me concerned even installing these module.
Wut? Post up some links.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #734
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is a screenshot in the "improvement" thread. I use my cameras all the time with city driving so it's helpful. If camera isn't going to work, it's not worth for me to even try to install.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:40 PM   #735
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedunc235 View Post
Got mine in the mail today and installed. That's very similar to how I had to set up my eq. Had weird a sound to it before but it sounds fine now after tuning. Reverse/360 cam comes on when put into reverse, but line you and others have said I have to go back to idrive for PDC cams to show. Missing and everything keeps working in the background so it's no big deal seeing as the PDC sensors still alert you to switch to the cams. So far I love it! Even Siri works very well with the mic behind the hazard lights button! I have yet to make any calls on it yet but during set up I left the idrive connected to telephone calls only that way if the quality is that bad I'll just switch to it. Small price to pay for the small price that we paid for this box! Only takes like 2 seconds to switch anyways. For those wondering it does Android Auto and airplay screen mirroring that work well too. Screen mirroring does have a slight lag however so don't expect it to be perfect.

Let me know if anybody wants me to try something else out or if anyone has questions about install
Refer to blakedunc235's post. The summary of his experience pretty much sums it up in one comment.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #736
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'm still reading people's 360 cams are working properly so still has me concerned even installing these module.
Yeah like i said it the last post it's a small price to pay for how little we paid tbh. Since the music continues playing in the background i switch to idrive when i approach a parking lot when i know ill use the 360 cam. that way I can just bring it up or have it switch to the cam automatically if im close to an object. To me it's not that big of a deal, but to some I could see how it would be annoying. In that case i'd just say go with the more expensive one if 100% perfect compatibility is what you desire. ($600 though ) If you, like me, can tolerate that then it's really not that bad. The install was easy also if you got a plastic trim removal tool, 25tx or 30tx screwdriver bit, then it's super simple. I wouldnt even say stuffing the box back there was all that hard either as I got mine in there first try with no real effort.

Other thing to note that ive noticed is I think it remembers what you leave it on as well. So if you switch to idrive and it hasn't been that long since you got in the car itll remember that you were in idrive and not automatically switch the video input, and vice versa if you leave the car in apple carplay mode. I also havent had the problem some have had with it taking a while to connect. Mine is instant really. I guess it is since the box boots up as soon as you unlock the car since it is starting to get power from the car then it seems.

If you do choose to do the install hit me up in the pm and I can help walk you through it.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #737
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah like i said it the last post it's a small price to pay for how little we paid tbh. Since the music continues playing in the background i switch to idrive when i approach a parking lot when i know ill use the 360 cam. that way I can just bring it up or have it switch to the cam automatically if im close to an object. To me it's not that big of a deal, but to some I could see how it would be annoying. In that case i'd just say go with the more expensive one if 100% perfect compatibility is what you desire. ($600 though ) If you, like me, can tolerate that then it's really not that bad. The install was easy also if you got a plastic trim removal tool, 25tx or 30tx screwdriver bit, then it's super simple. I wouldnt even say stuffing the box back there was all that hard either as I got mine in there first try with no real effort.

Other thing to note that ive noticed is I think it remembers what you leave it on as well. So if you switch to idrive and it hasn't been that long since you got in the car itll remember that you were in idrive and not automatically switch the video input, and vice versa if you leave the car in apple carplay mode. I also havent had the problem some have had with it taking a while to connect. Mine is instant really. I guess it is since the box boots up as soon as you unlock the car since it is starting to get power from the car then it seems.

If you do choose to do the install hit me up in the pm and I can help walk you through it.
Curious, which product are you referring to for $600?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:03 PM   #738
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Would you have a video of how that works? Switching back and fourth. Didn't see it on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #739
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Would you have a video of how that works? Switching back and fourth. Didn't see it on YouTube
I myself am too lazy to for you, but I posted a YouTube video about this subject already...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #740
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Curious, which product are you referring to for $600?
The one from bimmertech 575+taxes and shipping
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #741
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can take one later when I leave work. You literally just hold the back button on your idrive controller for 5 seconds and it will switch back and forth between carplay and the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #742
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can take one later when I leave work. You literally just hold the back button on your idrive controller for 5 seconds and it will switch back and forth between carplay and the idrive.
Ohhhh! That's not all bad then. But reverse cameras shows automatically yes? But for 360, I would have to go back into Idrive
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #743
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ohhhh! That's not all bad then. But reverse cameras shows automatically yes? But for 360, I would have to go back into Idrive
So once you put the car in reverse the normal reverse camera pops up so you can use that to also turn on the 360 cam without having to go to idrive. I'll put that in the video also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #744
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The one from bimmertech 575+taxes and shipping
It's in my comparison chart I posted. But I have to verify this with BimmerTech.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #745
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
No wiring of mic needed you just plug it in. It's fully plug and play
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #746
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So once you put the car in reverse the normal reverse camera pops up so you can use that to also turn on the 360 cam without having to go to idrive. I'll put that in the video also.
Ahhh yes! That is what I'm concerned about. I had another unit and it was cutting in and out the cameras and stopped working. This thread has too many posts so can't really figure which video is which to see what I'm looking for. Granted a lot of ppl like myself have questions that clutter it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #747
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's in my comparison chart I posted. But I have to verify this with BimmerTech.
I was just meaning if someone wanted better compatibility then they shouldn't be looking at a budget option is all. With how little we are paying for this to get apple carplay I expect some wonkiness lol
Appreciate 1
djrabbi728.00
      10-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #748
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No wiring of mic needed you just plug it in. It's fully plug and play
See now I'm confused lol. Others saying put mic behind hazard light but why would they if you are saying no mic needed. I would LOVE not using an external mic
Appreciate 0