08-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #705
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

https://youtu.be/xZSyFc2rZiE
https://youtu.be/poO_MWtCSms
https://youtu.be/xf2ttbumPkE

New here to forums! Got a muffler delete a week into getting the car, IMO, it was necessary to really hear the V8. Made a couple clips incase people wanted to hear it. Car is stock besides the delete.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #706
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Wow it's pretty loud! Is it as loud irl as in the Video??? Sounds pretty mean! Did you notice any drone?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #707
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I just started to mod mine: X-pipe, resonator delete, muffler mod with pneumatic straight pipe cutouts.

I am in no mood to weld under a car anymore so removed the entire system and built a jig. Will post pics and video when its done of how it sounds for those interested.
Hello,

I am thinking of adding a x-pipe to my system as well. Only the x-pipe, I am not interested in removing anything else, I currently have catless dp and I absolutely love the sound except some annoying rattle experienced sometimes on Eco mode at gear changing - a well documented issue when going catless for m5,m6, x5m, x6m. (Mine is the f86 x6m).

I am mainly looking to add the x-pipe hoping that rattle would be gone or at least diminished and also because of the scavenger effect.

What size is the x-pipe have you used? It is the 3" one linked on Amazon? Some said on earlier posts under this thread that the 3" x-pipe is too big for the tunnel space.

Aslo, can you confirm, stock pipes diameter is 2,75" ?

This is the x-pipe I was considering, any pros/con of using this design vs the more comun magnaflow like?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DP73AM0L&psc=1

Last edited by ICBM; 08-03-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #708
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ideally for me would be something like this since I am also consider replacing the baby resonators with high flow cats.

https://jhmotorsports.com/exhaust-do...-4-2l-fsi.html
      08-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #709
MW50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Wow it's pretty loud! Is it as loud irl as in the Video??? Sounds pretty mean! Did you notice any drone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
It's loud but subtle. Very quiet up to 2500 rpms but then it's a growling beast. There's a little drone if you're driving windows up no music.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #710
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
Hello,

This is the x-pipe I was considering, any pros/con of using this design vs the more comun magnaflow like?

2.5" x-pipe

Last edited by hufington; 08-04-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #711
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Stock pipes are close to 2.75".

The thing about needing the 2.5" version is because someone tried the stamped 3" version, and it would not fit. But I don't recall if outside size or if the tubing/pipes not lining up, was the issue.

3" version of what you linked to, might fit? (or none of them?)
I looked at the AMZ listing, and both versions have about 1.65" between the tubes (1.64" for the 3"). That is what you need to measure on the stock exhaust. Make sure X-pipe will line up with your existing tubing, and no bending will be needed.
My drawings are at my shop, or I would check.

I like the design of the one in the link, way better than the stamped version that can very restrictive due to crimped inlets and outlets inside the X.

FYI: with a turbo engine, you really don't need to worry about scavenger effect anywhere near as much as on an NA engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #712
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Hello,

I am thinking of adding a x-pipe to my system as well. Only the x-pipe, I am not interested in removing anything else, I currently have catless dp and I absolutely love the sound except some annoying rattle experienced sometimes on Eco mode at gear changing - a well documented issue when going catless for m5,m6, x5m, x6m. (Mine is the f86 x6m).

I am mainly looking to add the x-pipe hoping that rattle would be gone or at least diminished and also because of the scavenger effect.

What size is the x-pipe have you used? It is the 3" one linked on Amazon? Some said on earlier posts under this thread that the 3" x-pipe is too big for the tunnel space.

Stock is 2.75: (70mm to be exact but 2.75 in is very close). 3inch x-pipe will work just fine on the F15/F85. The underbelly of the F series is still nearly identical to the E70, see pics below and as you can see with this version of the X-pipe there is room to spare. The X-pipe I linked is just a bit wider then the stock pipes. You will need to expand out the pipes to 3" as you can see I did in the pics, any exhaust shop will have these tools to do it for you.

Interesting enough, the polished version of the x-pipe I linked is cheaper then the non-polished so I would pick up that one. The one you linked should work just fine too as it appears to be only slightly wider then the once I used.

The X-pipe will take care of that irritating rattle, I had that on downshifts too on my N63, was driving me nuts, now it is gone =)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-04-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #713
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As everyone knows, the 50i muffler is horrific in design and made so on purpose, cant have the N63 to close in power to the S63....

Here is my solution to it: I want the power increase from a straight pipe design but also the quite muted exhaust note when I am just cruising, so I am adding pneumatic cut-outs that will be programmed to a RPM switch that will trigger at 4000rpm (or around there, going to play with the rpm settings and I will have manual override also) when in sport mode. Outer exhaust tips will be for the cut-outs flow through design, the inner exhaust tips will retrain the stock design when the cut-outs are not active. Approx 80% done, will post clips of the results once complete and more info for anyone else wanting to do it as any exhaust shop can do this, well most anyway who aren't afraid to bust out with a plasma cutter and sawzall.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-04-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #714
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

The X-pipe will take care of that irritating rattle, I had that on downshifts too on my N63, was driving me nuts, now it is gone =)[/QUOTE]

I do like better the one I linked on Amazon, I am only afraid of using that may not work as good to muffler the gear changing rattle, like the one you are using. The stamped one, like Magnaflow, etc. You never know, sometimes a small variation can have a different outcome when dealing with x-pipes in terms of drone, etc.

The muffler shop I will be doing the install carry the Magnaflow or they can make one if needs. Or I can bring my own. Attached picture is the ideal x-pipe and I will ask them if they can do one just like that.

I don't have a welding machine so I need to have someone else doing it. Unfortunately! I hate to go to these muffler shops, I need to stay and watch the whole process and even doing so they may do something bad. It's not easy to find a good place that will do a great job.

I was considering using clamps instead and do it at home, this way there would be no rust coming from the weldings, it's just I don't know if it is a great idea having four clamps on a spot.

How do you like that pipe expanding tool? I been thinking of getting one, it's always good to have one around.
Attached Images

Last edited by ICBM; 08-04-2020 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #715
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
... so I am adding pneumatic cut-outs that will be programmed to a RPM switch...
Nice solution. I'd be interested in the longevity of the cut-outs.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #716
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Another possible DIY X-Pipe solution , 3" to 2.75" , will be a perfect fit. Made for Audi but could perfectly fit for our application

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/CBK0027
      08-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #717
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How do you like that pipe expanding tool? I been thinking of getting one, it's always good to have one around.
The pipe expander is awesome, it's made by Lisle and is complete kit, the only pipe expander tough enough to do the job, it's pricey though, about 160 dollar. The Milwaukee impact in the pic is incredible too. Toughest impact I ever owned, makes short work of everything from lugnuts to driving in he pipe stretcher and very compact too
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      08-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #718
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Nice solution. I'd be interested in the longevity of the cut-outs.
I am expecting to last at least 100K miles, its the reason I went with the Vacuum units over the electric motor units and I am using an extra pressure converter I had on hand that is normally used to control the vacuum actuators on turbos as the solenoid to activate the cut-outs, these are rated for hundreds of thousands of cycles. I am also welding spot welding the screws in the butterfly valves to eliminate the chance of them coming loose. I will report back if any issues pop up but expecting it to last.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #719
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Another possible DIY X-Pipe solution , 3" to 2.75" , will be a perfect fit. Made for Audi but could perfectly fit for our application

https://www.holley.com/products/exha.../parts/CBK0027
Wow, that one looks awesome! pricey but looks like the least disruptive. Had I know about that one I would have gone with it even though its not made for the X5, just a little bit of tweaking will make it work.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #720
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The pipe expander is awesome, it's made by Lisle and is complete kit, the only pipe expander tough enough to do the job, it's pricey though, about 160 dollar. The Milwaukee impact in the pic is incredible too. Toughest impact I ever owned, makes short work of everything from lugnuts to driving in he pipe stretcher and very compact too
Yeah I already had a look at the pipe expander, looks better than the cheap ones on Amazon. If I decide a DIY for the x-pipe I will get one. Regarding impact tools, I have mostly Ridgid, very powerful but I also have one Milwaukee tool, the Milwaukee Tool M12 FUEL Extended Ratchets in 3/8", nice one to have

The APR X-Pipe looks really nice, kind of pricey but since it comes with the required clamps it's not too bad.

The muffler shop estimate is 350CAD including a custom x-pipe (MIG welded not TIG) similar with the Apr or 300CAD if I want the Magnaflow x-Pipe.
      08-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #721
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I looked at my notes tonight. I measured 1.42" (36mm) in distance between the two tubes, where the X-Pipe welds in.
So the above X-Pipe with 1.65" spacing should work. Just need to remove the brackets, holding the two tubes together.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #722
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here is a X5m (E70) who used the same resonators and x-pipe as me. The downshift rattle/resonance was driving him nuts like mine when he added Downpipes. He liked the way mine sounded so did the same thing and he reports back it solved the resonance/rattle from the downpipes too and he is in love with the sound. I think it's mainly due to the x-pipe but the race resonators may factor into the deeper sound, especially in the cabin.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #723
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=Sophisticated Redneck;26530020]Here is a X5m (E70) who used the same resonators and x-pipe as me. The downshift rattle/resonance was driving him nuts like mine when he added Downpipes. He liked the way mine sounded so did the same thing and he reports back it solved the resonance/rattle from the downpipes too and he is in love with the sound. I think it's mainly due to the x-pipe but the race resonators may factor into the deeper sound, especially in the cabin.

Good to hear. Also, the f86 OEM Exhaust - the rear muffler it is different than the previous version (in a good way)
I just had a closer look at my exhaust and took some measurements and found out that the pipe diameter is 3"
Also, I noticed some rattle different than the one mentioned earlier, this time I think it is coming from the baby resonators. It can only be heard at low speed with partial throttle in between 1-1300rpm more or less. It may be because of catless dp, there is more heat that travel down the exhaust and somehow damaged the inside. I bumped them with my hand and sound like the noise coming from inside. As a matter of fact I am having a similar issue with my wife's sq5 , catless dp as well, also in the process of having that fixed. But for that I ordered a already made part from JHM , comes with flex pipes, sport cats and x-pipe and will clamp directly to the OEM exhaust.
So I am now going to take a different approach: I will skip the x-pipe for now and have the baby resonators removed and replaced with high flow cats. This is something I was planning to do since I am getting tired of the smelly exhaust but I want to keep the catless dp. Moving the cats down the exhaust it is the best option in terms of power restriction, plus I will get some 200cel high flow cats, so there should be almost no restriction added. Depending on the outcome, I will decide if there will still be needed the x-pipe or not.
I will update the results once it's done. Two weeks left until vacation
Attached Images

Last edited by ICBM; 08-06-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #724
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had the 3" X-Pipe installed today and also removed the baby resonators. Last min call I decided to do this first and later on have the high flow catalytic converters installed. Sound wise it is not really louder than it was, it does sound different. Not necessary better or worse, just somehow different, exactly what I was expected from the x-pipe (I had x-pipe install on previous vehicle). It is basically more refined sound than before with less american muscle car sound and no rasp at all. The good part is that the gear changing rattle in D Mode is completely gone. That was my main reason for the x-pipe install. On the other hand, there was another kind of annoying rattle at low speed, that one is still present (maybe even worse!) At this point I don't know where is that coming from, my initial assessment was that it was from the baby resonators, but they look ok inside and that was not the cause. Sounds like the exhaust it is touching something when vibrates, like the heat shield or something else, or like a bad flex pipe or something but that's not the case since there are no flex pipes except the ones on the dp and these are perfectly fine. I am also thinking maybe the muffler valves could rattle (probably not). I still need to do some more driving including HWY for a complete feedback.
Attached Images

Last edited by ICBM; 08-12-2020 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #725
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had the 3" X-Pipe installed today and also removed the baby resonators. Last min call I decided to do this first and later on have the high flow catalytic converters installed. Sound wise it is not really louder than it was, it does sound different. Not necessary better or worse, just somehow different, exactly what I was expected from the x-pipe (I had x-pipe install on previous vehicle). It is basically more refined sound than before with less american muscle car sound and no rasp at all. The good part is that the gear changing rattle in D Mode is completely gone. That was my main reason for the x-pipe install. On the other hand, there was another kind of annoying rattle at low speed, that one is still present (maybe even worse!) At this point I don't know where is that coming from, my initial assessment was that it was from the baby resonators, but they look ok inside and that was not the cause. Sounds like the exhaust it is touching something when vibrates, like the heat shield or something else, or like a bad flex pipe or something but that's not the case since there are no flex pipes except the ones on the dp and these are perfectly fine. I am also thinking maybe the muffler valves could rattle (probably not). I still need to do some more driving including HWY for a complete feedback.
I should have read your previous posts more closely and warned you, you made the EXACT same mistake I did, I first did it with just the x-pipe and nuked the resonators, sounds great inside the truck, and like CRAP outside, I had ever same rattle you did and you hear it echo off everything. You HAVE to run resonators or go with a different muffler, I learned the rattle is caused by the 50i muffler design, it has to have resonators as the first chamber is not baffled with any sound suppression fiberglass so you literally have explosions from your combustion process piped into a hollow chamber and thus why it sounds like a firecracker going off In coffee can.

Now the good news is the race resonators that will solve all this are only around 35 dollars each and the muffler shop shouldn't charge you much to put in, plus they are more efficient then the stock. Your truck will sound awesome with them inside and out and you will fall in love with all over again and pick up some power to boot. I have several friends now with M and 50is who have done this exact mod and love it, so will you (it also takes care of the little rattle you had before the removing them as I had that too, all n63, s63, and all tu variants get this rattle with downpipes as the stock resonators are tuned for the cats). Below is a link again

https://www.amazon.com/LCGP-Universa.../dp/B07Y1C7D87

BTW, I finished my pnematic cutouts that bypasses the muffler, I love the raw power and sound from it when I feel like showing off but noway could I drive around like that all the time, don't know how the other members could stand the muffler delete mod on a daily basis so it's nice to turn it off with the push of a button, will post some videos of it soon on case anyone else wants to do it

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-12-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #726
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I should have read your previous posts more closely and warned you, you made the EXACT same mistake I did, I first did it with just the x-pipe and nuked the resonators, sounds great inside the truck, and like CRAP outside, I had ever same rattle you did and you hear it echo off everything. You HAVE to run resonators or go with a different muffler, I learned the rattle is caused by the 50i muffler design, it has to have resonators as the first chamber is not baffled with any sound suppression fiberglass so you literally have explosions from your combustion process piped into a hollow chamber and thus why it sounds like a firecracker going off In coffee can.

Now the good news is the race resonators that will solve all this are only around 35 dollars each and the muffler shop shouldn't charge you much to put in, plus they are more efficient then the stock. Your truck will sound awesome with them inside and out and you will fall in love with all over again and pick up some power to boot. I have several friends now with M and 50is who have done this exact mod and love it, so will you (it also takes care of the little rattle you had before the removing them as I had that too, all n63, s63, and all tu variants get this rattle with downpipes as the stock resonators are tuned for the cats). Below is a link again

https://www.amazon.com/LCGP-Universa.../dp/B07Y1C7D87

BTW, I finished my pnematic cutouts that bypasses the muffler, I love the raw power and sound from it when I feel like showing off but noway could I drive around like that all the time, don't know how the other members could stand the muffler delete mod on a daily basis so it's nice to turn it off with the push of a button, will post some videos of it soon on case anyone else wants to do it
You are probably right regarding the little rattle I mentioned. I will investigate this again over the weekend or next, just to be sure, however for what I remember this rattle was not there at first when I did the catless dp, so at this point I can't say it is not.
Also, in terms of how it sounds, outside, except the cold start which is pretty loud, very similar with how it was before just different tone, the exhaust sounds very good. Because there was so much traffic at the time I was driving, I couldn't really take a good understanding of how it is. But the brief WOT I did and drive doesn't sound bad at all! The f86 x6m muffler is much different than the other x6 models and I really don't see any necessity of replacing with any aftermarket. It is 3" pipes and with valves ON straight true design. You can't do any better than this.
Also, I still have the OEM resonators and I can put them back if needs, but like I mentioned earlier, my initial plan (and still is, just not right now) is to have there high flow catalytic converters. At this point I haven't decided if I want to put some GESI cats or some cheaper Magnaflow 59959 | 200cpsi | 3"in/out | Metallic Substrate. I am leaning towards the Magnaflow. I will drive as it is for a couple of weeks and get a full understanding of pros/cons and than decide. But right now, it doesn't sound bad at all. I did a short video today, sound is pretty good for phone recording, I will try and get some with the GoPro as well

Also, I am having a similar set up (catless dp, OEM exhaust) on my wife's sq5 and that one as well have similar rattling issue and for that I ordered the JHM mid section that includes the high flow cats, once I will have that installed I will see if the rattle will be muffled or not and based on that I will know what to do for the bmw as well.

Regarding the bullet type Amazon resonators you linked, are you saying that running these will muffle the gear changing rattle as well or there is still need of the x-pipe?

Totally agree on running straight pipes/no mufflers. I had that in the past for a week on the Audi s6, it was insane. Like the drag strip muscle cars lol but no way that could be an acceptable dd

Last edited by ICBM; 08-12-2020 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0