BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
vzm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Question What would you choose?

Guys, I am in a tough spot and need some help. I currently own a E90 M3, but the family is growing and we need more space. Today, we visited Chevrolet and looked at a really nice and comfortable Suburban, pricing OTD looks in the ballpark of $53k, monthly payments of $740 financed @ 0.0% for 60months, 9K down , no "real" lease deal currently on it, the figure was around $1,000/10k mo.

Now, out of curiosity, I look at BMW's website and the new 2014 X4, they seem to have pretty aggressive year end deals, specially super attractive leasing deals (in the $750's /mo 10k for a X5 Xdrive 50i, 5k down.

Pro of the suburban is that is it very nice and spacious, a favorite so far, and seats 7 (not that we need that many seats), I like the X5 since I have owned BMW's in the past and have had a nice experience all around with the brand, product and servicing.

If you were in my shoes, which direction would you head? X5 or Suburban?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask myself few more questions:

1) How long do I plan to keep this car?
2) How many miles am I planning to drive per year?
3) Will my kid(s) destroy the inside of the car?

After finding the answers to these, I think I would have a better idea which way to go.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

In my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges. There is no comparison between a Suburban and an X5. If you are looking for lots of space go with the Suburban. Other than that X5. I get a Suburban when I need a rental car but I drive a X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzm3 View Post
Guys, I am in a tough spot and need some help. I currently own a E90 M3, but the family is growing and we need more space. Today, we visited Chevrolet and looked at a really nice and comfortable Suburban, pricing OTD looks in the ballpark of $53k, monthly payments of $740 financed @ 0.0% for 60months, 9K down , no "real" lease deal currently on it, the figure was around $1,000/10k mo.

Now, out of curiosity, I look at BMW's website and the new 2014 X4, they seem to have pretty aggressive year end deals, specially super attractive leasing deals (in the $750's /mo 10k for a X5 Xdrive 50i, 5k down.

Pro of the suburban is that is it very nice and spacious, a favorite so far, and seats 7 (not that we need that many seats), I like the X5 since I have owned BMW's in the past and have had a nice experience all around with the brand, product and servicing.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
e92m3_f15x5
mmmmmm
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have a E92 M3 and I ordered an X5. It depends what you need the car for and if you need that BMW "feel". I never drove the Suburban so I can't comment on the drive, but I liked the X5 when I test drove it. My requirement was that I needed a bigger SUV for a growing family, and the SUV had to feel like a car.

Price wise, you guys in the US are getting killer deals. We don't have those types of numbers up in Canada. If I were you I would just get the X5. Keep it in the BMW family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzm3 View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
ADGrant
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

I would never buy a Suburban. I am actually a little shocked at how expensive they are. For that kind of money I would buy a Toureg.

If you have been getting by with an M3 E90, it's hard to beleive you really need the space of a Surburban or would enjoy driving it. That said it am not sold on the new X5 in the fun to drive department. The Porsche Cayenne is a lot more fun though the lease deals are not so good. If you want something close to the Cayenne for Chevy money, the Toureg is almost as much fun to drive (needs a bigger engine).

My car is an E70 V8. Probably not as much fun as a V8 Cayenne but close enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

agree with ADGrant. for that kind of money get a german car.

Toureg is the most underrated car out there in my book.

Can't go wrong with the X5 as long as there is room for what you need.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia
If I were in your shoes, I'd ask myself few more questions:

1) How long do I plan to keep this car?
2) How many miles am I planning to drive per year?
3) Will my kid(s) destroy the inside of the car?

After finding the answers to these, I think I would have a better idea which way to go.

Z.
4) how many kids do you have or will you have in next 36 mos?

I'm assuming since you're going from an M3 you're getting ready to have your first or maybe second child? If so, the X5 has plenty of room to get you through the next 3 years. Any more than 2, it still may (as long as only 1 maybe 2 in car seats), but not as easily and may not always be convenient.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoJoe
agree with ADGrant. for that kind of money get a german car.

Toureg is the most underrated car out there in my book.

Can't go wrong with the X5 as long as there is room for what you need.
I agree about the "t-reg" but it doesn't lease very well. If you buy, great bang for your buck and I love that truck. But I got some lease quotes on a '13 with huge discounts for year-end close out and the lease was still not far off an X5 with an MSRP a good 10-12k higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Impossible to beat BMW lease rates. Tried Cayenne and Range Rover with equal MSRP and both were north of $400 more than the X5 per month plus a load of money down. Both Porsche and Rover dealers told me upfront: if you are comparing leasing rates with BMW don't even waste your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971
Impossible to beat BMW lease rates. Tried Cayenne and Range Rover with equal MSRP and both were north of $400 more than the X5 per month plus a load of money down. Both Porsche and Rover dealers told me upfront: if you are comparing leasing rates with BMW don't even waste your time.
Yeah it's crazy. Wasn't always this way. BMW has always been competitive (since I've been getting them anyway), but Audi used to beat them on MSRP and match on lease rates. My '99 328i was $30 more a month than my slightly better equipped '02 A4.. Pretty comparable. Now the margin is pretty big, in the opposite direction. Even if Audi has lower MSRP (which isn't always the case anymore), discounts are smaller and lease rates tend to be higher.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Keep the E90

Or get the X5. You'll take a bath on the suburban when you come to your senses.
Appreciate 0