BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
JJPP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

Reliability on new cars

I've been on different car brand forums and all of them have threads talking about issues with the new cars (I know some of them have more than others). I was on RRS forums and found some, but the one strike me more were the one about the new Acura MDX. There are a lot of good reviews out there about this car but on its forum are many threads talking how bad this car is.
My point is; after reading some threads regarding quality issues on the new X5, I was afraid to buy it, but reading about the MDX which is consider a reliable car, I won't think twice to go for the new X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
rganguly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BMW X5, way to go
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

MDX vs X5

I have been in the market for an upscale SUV and pretty much have it boiled down to the MDX and the X5.

I had fully intended to get an MDX when the 2014s hit the lot and then test drove one. The nav/computer system is horrific. Grainy screen, extremely laggy and slow to respond, and basic functions buried beneath multiple menus without a physical button made the system awful. Really a deal breaker. I thought the MDX drove well and I think you get a lot more bang for the buck with it, but couldn't help but think I would regret it if I bought one. The computer system would drive me crazy.

Test drove an X5 and the screen is gorgeous, computer much much better. Overall more refined, but definitely pricier if you compare apples to apples. I also loved the heads up display.

Right now I'm waiting for production to catch up with demand to the point where a local dealer is willing to negotiate a little. I've contacted every dealer in a 200 mile radius and none if them want to negotiate very much off of MSRP.

Test drive both and you will see the differences. Not sure if Acura will overhaul the issues by the 2015 model -- I highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0