10-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Drivetrain clunk

Car: 2015 X5 35d

Before my warranty expired, I had my X5 checked out by a dealership. They found a small oil seep from transfer case, so they replaced it.

Since transfer case was replaced, there is a clunk in the drivetrain. The clunk happens during power transfer - when i apply accelerator and let go - at lower speeds.

Not sure if related, but I also heard a thump - like something hit a transmission tunnel, while entering a neighborhood (90 degree curve). It sounded as if the hit was under ashtray / cupholders.

Dealership replaced the transfer case - again, but the clunk is still there. The noise sounds as if sometimes is coming from rear, sometimes front, but mostly from the middle.

I refused to take the car home, as they never fixed it. Any suggestions what it could be? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

You sure nothing is rolling around inside the center console?!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
You sure nothing is rolling around inside the center console?!
Car is completely empty of everything in the cabin.

Just spoke to shop foreman. He said the noise is gear backlash and it's more prominent in diesels. He said it's normal. He said that there is 0 play in the drivetrain and that he heard the noise in another x5 D of same model year.

I am still bit skeptical of this explanation. I did not hear the noise before the transfer case replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post

Just spoke to shop foreman. He said the noise is gear backlash and it's more prominent in diesels. He said it's normal. He said that there is 0 play in the drivetrain and that he heard the noise in another x5 D of same model year.

I am still bit skeptical of this explanation. I did not hear the noise before the transfer case replacement.
well, just BS from the dealer. Just get in another F15 D to compare. Trust your own instinct and verify whatever the dealer says, especially the crucial ones since you will be out of warranty very soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

I would have it checked by a reputable Indy shop if the dealership seemed less interested in diagnosing what your gut tells you is a problem or you think will be down the road. I am at an Indy shop right now having mine checked out... I am losing faith in all dealerships for anything outside of plug and play in my area. I can't wait to pass the real issue over to the dealership.
      10-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
I would have it checked by a reputable Indy shop if the dealership seemed less interested in diagnosing what your gut tells you is a problem or you think will be down the road. I am at an Indy shop right now having mine checked out... I am losing faith in all dealerships for anything outside of plug and play in my area. I can't wait to pass the real issue over to the dealership.
Which Indy did you go with? I know we both had bad experiences before with the local BMW dealers in the Pittsburgh area.

Luckily I found an Indy local in Pittsburgh as well that specializes in BMW and Mini. Had them install a spring kit, MPBK, Down Pipe, Exhaust, and plugs just recently for very reasonable pricing. They are capable of doing all coding as well. Service was excellent, they were very detailed and thorough, and I definitely walked away feeling comfortable that they did great work at a fair price.

The one local dealer sent me multiple apologies and offered a free car detail for me to give them another shot again after the last visit was a nightmare. I have free regular maintenance for the next 3 years and I told the Service Manager I would rather pay for any work then deal with possibility of being inconvenienced and deal with shitty service.

Good luck on whatever you are having review by your shop.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:

I would be a bit skeptical too. Never heard of a clunk in the drivetrain as being “normal”. Perhaps take it to a different dealer? For a second opinion?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I would be a bit skeptical too. Never heard of a clunk in the drivetrain as being “normal”. Perhaps take it to a different dealer? For a second opinion?
That's the plan. It seems like something is definitely lose. What is lose, is the big question. I don't think it's transmission or transfer case related. Could be output shaft or even a mount.

I just need to find time to poke under the car myself.

But I will be taking the car to BMW of Fairfax for another opinion, and possibly to an indy for 3rd opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

The front prop shaft was known to be somewhat loose on the e70. Funny that is the same part number on the f15. I changed mine out a while ago since I felt a little side to side play. Never felt anything though.
What size wheels do you have? 19 or 20? And are the tire brands all the same? Just wondering if tire diameters could be causing something funny.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Try BMW of Sterling or RRT Racing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
BMW of Sterling were the ones who did the work after which the clunking happened.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
The front prop shaft was known to be somewhat loose on the e70. Funny that is the same part number on the f15. I changed mine out a while ago since I felt a little side to side play. Never felt anything though.
What size wheels do you have? 19 or 20? And are the tire brands all the same? Just wondering if tire diameters could be causing something funny.
20s (275/40 and 315/35) running on brand new Michelins AS3.

I can check diameter of the tire - just to verify, but I don't think that Michelin would have big deviation from the norms.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #13
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
That's the plan. It seems like something is definitely lose. What is lose, is the big question. I don't think it's transmission or transfer case related. Could be output shaft or even a mount.

I just need to find time to poke under the car myself.

But I will be taking the car to BMW of Fairfax for another opinion, and possibly to an indy for 3rd opinion.
Good idea and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Quote:
BMW of Sterling were the ones who did the work after which the clunking happened.
Okay I didn't realize that. Try RRT if you want an independent shop to look at it. I have had good experiences there and have taken my cars there for several years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Okay I didn't realize that. Try RRT if you want an independent shop to look at it. I have had good experiences there and have taken my cars there for several years now.
Nagh... it was a fair suggestion. I just didn't want to name the names.
Appreciate 0