BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
Johnorange
Rep
Drives: Series 3

Racechip with F15 25d?

Hi there,

Been browsing the forum for a while now, without success. Has anyone tried the racechip with the smaller X5 engine, 25d, and can share any feedback? It's quite a small engine and I am wondering if there is much to further squeeze from it with chip tuning.

Thanks for your responses, guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
mkdan2004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

I've been running with the GTS Black since August this year. The difference is clearly there, it is much smoother (which is a major problem of this engine compared to the 3.0d) and it has more torque exactly where it is missing it, at about 1800 rpm. Regarding reliability, it is hard for me to tell. I had to replace the EGR valve a week after i installed the Racechip, although i have been having symptoms for a month before that (just thought they were in my head). After replacing the EGR, i am still using the Racechip and running diagnostics each week, so far so good. I am using it on Sport mode (Racechip Sport mode, not the car), Race mode is a bit too aggressive and not that smooth. Fuel consumption is about the same.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Johnorange
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdan2004 View Post
I've been running with the GTS Black since August this year. The difference is clearly there, it is much smoother (which is a major problem of this engine compared to the 3.0d) and it has more torque exactly where it is missing it, at about 1800 rpm. Regarding reliability, it is hard for me to tell. I had to replace the EGR valve a week after i installed the Racechip, although i have been having symptoms for a month before that (just thought they were in my head). After replacing the EGR, i am still using the Racechip and running diagnostics each week, so far so good. I am using it on Sport mode (Racechip Sport mode, not the car), Race mode is a bit too aggressive and not that smooth. Fuel consumption is about the same.
Thanks, mate. Much appreciated. Will order one myself then. I may be pm-ing you to ask for more guidance, and feedback on how are things going.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:20 AM   #4
mkdan2004
Private First Class
Rep

Hey man, no problem. Happy to help if i can. I suggest buying some good diagnostic tool ( i am using Bimmerlink) and make sure everything is in order prior to installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Johnorange
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdan2004 View Post
Hey man, no problem. Happy to help if i can. I suggest buying some good diagnostic tool ( i am using Bimmerlink) and make sure everything is in order prior to installation.
Thanks, you're the real MVP Will look into that as well. The car is 5 month old, don't expect issues. Do you keep your obd adaptor connected all the times for the bimmerlink? Also, re: the racechip, did you get the app as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
mkdan2004
Private First Class
Rep

Yes and yes. I do keep the OBD adapter connected to the car at all times. One thing though, if you have Bimmerlink connected to the OBD adapter and try to lock the vehicle, the alarm will go off (at least with WiFi adapter). Same things happens with an ELM adapter connected to Torque app via Bluetooth. So you can keep the adapter connected to the car but make sure to disconnect any device that is connected to the adapter before locking the car. I use the same adapter for coding the car so it is comfortable to have it at hand.
As far as Racechip is concerned, i did get the app as well. Now i think i could probably do without it because i do not usually switch between modes but it is still nice to have.
Appreciate 0