BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive35i

Question Running Board question for X5 F15

I have a 2014 X5 xDrive35i xLine with Satin Aluminum trim.

My car is equipped with running boards (which I like) but I have an older family member that I drive almost daily to physical therapy.

This older relative actually finds that the running boards make it more difficult to get in/out of the car (I find that they make it easier to get in/out) but hearing about the running boards for the entire car ride to and from physical therapy is driving me bananas!

I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

So, for my sanity's sake, I've been looking online for the correct rocker panels for my car so I could remove the running boards.

I've seen 3 different versions so far:

a) A plain black plastic pair
b) A body colored pair
c) A black pair with some aluminum trim on it

d) Are there any other rocker panels available that I didn't mention?

1) I assume that #(c) above is the correct part for the xLine with Satin Aluminum trim...

Can anyone confirm this?

2) Also, I might be open to just trading my running boards with someone that has the correct rocker panels for my X5 on their car as I see that this is a popular accessory that people want and will be cheaper for the both of us to do it this way.

My Running Boards are near mint condition, so I'd like a set of rocker panels in similar condition.

I live in Lower Westchester, New York if anyone is interested in considering a swap.
MPPK+MPE, Premium Package, xLine, Driver Assistance Plus, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection, ACC Stop& Go + Active Driving Assistant, harmon/kardon Surround Sound System, Space-Saver Spare, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Poplar Wood Trim, towing package
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

the running boards are not a simple swap. have to remove wheel fender trims, and then swap supports also. need new rivets for the ones you'll destroy.

that said, i've had x5 with and without running boards. the difference is not going to be that drastic. teach the passenger to step with their right foot first on step, but if they're stubborn then oh well. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I think A is for M sport, B for Luxury line but you need to paint the color part, and C for X line.

But you do need to get support, rivets, etc. Not difficult very doable. I installed running boards on my Luxury line so I know. Just be sure to have correct rivet tool and pullers.

Anyways I think the difference might be an inch or two, but I'd take your family member to the dealer and sit in one without it before doing anything.
      02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #4
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I think A is for M sport, B for Luxury line but you need to paint the color part, and C for X line.

But you do need to get support, rivets, etc. Not difficult very doable. I installed running boards on my Luxury line so I know. Just be sure to have correct rivet tool and pullers.

Anyways I think the difference might be an inch or two, but I'd take your family member to the dealer and sit in one without it before doing anything.
Not a bad idea...
MPPK+MPE, Premium Package, xLine, Driver Assistance Plus, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Cold Weather Package, Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection, ACC Stop& Go + Active Driving Assistant, harmon/kardon Surround Sound System, Space-Saver Spare, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control, Poplar Wood Trim, towing package
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

I'm not kidding about this solution:

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
Kzang3235.50
      02-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker View Post
I'm not kidding about this solution:

the step, (appealing as it is) will not work as this older relative weighs about 250lbs and is 5'2" with bad knees and hips (hence the visits to physical therapy).

I will be blessed with this obligation for the next few years, so I am back to square one...

Anyone interested in considering a trade? My running boards for your rocker panels?
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Mark View Post
the step, (appealing as it is) will not work as this older relative weighs about 250lbs and is 5'2" with bad knees and hips (hence the visits to physical therapy).

I will be blessed with this obligation for the next few years, so I am back to square one...

Anyone interested in considering a trade? My running boards for your rocker panels?
did you take your relative to a dealer to try a x5 without running boards?
Appreciate 1
K_i_m_i83.00
      02-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #8
Marky Mark
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
did you take your relative to a dealer to try a x5 without running boards?
I wish I was able to... but dealing with a 77/yr old woman (mother-in-law) whom lives to whine and complain is preventing this from ever coming to fruition...

At this point, I just don't care anymore... when I say that I hear nothing but complaints for a 35 minute drive (each direction) about the running boards, I am not kidding! LoL

I am at my wits end, and I also hear it at home with wifey...

So, for sanity's sake... I just want to make my life simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep

sounds like you need to get a car. new 5 series perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I think problem isn't your car. You'll get complaints if you had a teleporter.
      10-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Phil Devtec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 40i

I just read all of this...not sure why, but your situation stinks. One solution I could offer is...UBER.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
xzmpgh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

I am a new member
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
xzmpgh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Intererested

Marky Mark,

Are you still interested in trading your running boards for standard rocker panels? I am interested. I own a 2015 X5 I just purchased off lease here in Sarasota from the dealer. Mine are in excellent condition.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
imjusthere
Rep
Drives: 89 e30

I had the exact same problem with the running boards. My mom is in her 70s now and it was a fall waiting to happen. I removed them and replaced them with some from Romik. They're 5 inches wide and much grippier. Now she can get in and out safely. I made a video on how to remove the running boards at https://youtu.be/ZjdItsfK__U. It's got some tips on how to remove those pop rivits which will save you a lot of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
turboawd
Banned
Rep

We need pics of them installed
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #16
imjusthere
Rep
Drives: 89 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
We need pics of them installed
Here's what they look like on. They went on really easily. I just had to trim the cardboard-like splash guards that cover the bottom of the car so the brackets fit through. The only issue I'm having is finding some replacement side skirts. If anyone knows where to get those I would really appreciate it. I bought some aftermarket ones online and they were such garbage I couldn't use them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
turboawd
Banned
Rep

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds. I'm sure someone has taken their old ones off to install oem running boards or msport skirts.
Appreciate 0