BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Phil426
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2015

Retrofit Folding Power Mirrors BMW X5 F15

Hi all, recently purchased my first BMW X5 F15 2015 , one thing I really wish I had is folding mirrors. Because of where I park at work is a high traffic area. Someone has already bumped the mirror to make it fold in. So I'm worried the mirrors will get damaged because the car is so wide.

Is there anyway to add a power motor into the existing mirror housing? and do the wiring? I could also source second mirrors from a wrecker as long as the wiring isn't too complicated.

Has anyone done any of this before?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
lefty3292
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

My 2014 F15 X5 has power folding mirrors...I am not sure if this was a standard option, but you should check in front of the mirror buttons on the door, there might be a button that will fold them...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
goate
Private
Rep
Drives: Carbonblack F15 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil426 View Post
I've done this on my F11 a few years ago. I don't remember the entire process but here are some pointers.

First off, you definitely need a new mirror base. this is the folding part that houses the (all) electronics (what I've found is that for any change/upgrade to the mirror you need a different base).
Second, you should check whether or not your current mirrors have a LIN connection. This can be told from the number of pins on the connector. I think you need 5 where mine had 3. If they do, it will save you some work routing a few wires. If your mirrors have any features apart from heating you should have a LIN connection there. You could also check TIS.

You need a new switch block for the window as well, IIRC you don't need to route any cables, just re-pin a few to get the button to work. Alternatively, you could program it to use the remote for folding. I never like to fold my mirrors before opening my door anyway.

I'm sure I have some data on this project somewhere, if you need anything specific I'm happy to look it up for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
jero1213
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 MSport

Hello,

I think this is a standard option; there is a button on the side of the driver's armrest to have the mirrors fold and unfold upon pressing the button. it's right beside the button to choose whether you want to control the left or right mirror position.

it is also possible to code the mirrors to fold/unfold when locking/unlocking the doors

Past:
2002 E53 X5 3.0i Sports Pkg - Titanium Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljljl View Post
Hello,

I think this is a standard option; there is a button on the side of the driver's armrest to have the mirrors fold and unfold upon pressing the button. it's right beside the button to choose whether you want to control the left or right mirror position.

it is also possible to code the mirrors to fold/unfold when locking/unlocking the doors
Such a cool feature especially since my garage door is so narrow. I fold those babies in and then at 25mph they will automatically fold out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
JDPX5UK
Rep
Drives: X5 sDrive25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil426 View Post
Hi all, recently purchased my first BMW X5 F15 2015 , one thing I really wish I had is folding mirrors. Because of where I park at work is a high traffic area. Someone has already bumped the mirror to make it fold in. So I'm worried the mirrors will get damaged because the car is so wide.

Is there anyway to add a power motor into the existing mirror housing? and do the wiring? I could also source second mirrors from a wrecker as long as the wiring isn't too complicated.

I think it is standard. Press and hold BMW roundel on key fob when locking and mirrors fold.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
jero1213
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Such a cool feature especially since my garage door is so narrow. I fold those babies in and then at 25mph they will automatically fold out.
That's pretty cool! did you go through esys for this?

Mine unfolds when the x5 unlock, whether by key fob or by pulling on the door handle.
I fold when parking into the garage too, I know the feels with a narrow garage!

Past:
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Phil426
Registered
Rep

I don't think folding mirrors is standard on the entry model F15 X5 x25d. I don't have a button to fold mirrors. Next to the left/right mirrors control there is a blank space where the folding mirror button would go.

I'd be happy to have mirrors only fold when locking/unlocking the car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
Phil426
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goate View Post
I've done this on my F11 a few years ago. I don't remember the entire process but here are some pointers.

First off, you definitely need a new mirror base. this is the folding part that houses the (all) electronics (what I've found is that for any change/upgrade to the mirror you need a different base).
Second, you should check whether or not your current mirrors have a LIN connection. This can be told from the number of pins on the connector. I think you need 5 where mine had 3. If they do, it will save you some work routing a few wires. If your mirrors have any features apart from heating you should have a LIN connection there. You could also check TIS.

You need a new switch block for the window as well, IIRC you don't need to route any cables, just re-pin a few to get the button to work. Alternatively, you could program it to use the remote for folding. I never like to fold my mirrors before opening my door anyway.

I'm sure I have some data on this project somewhere, if you need anything specific I'm happy to look it up for you.
Thanks for that information. I'll start by checking how many wires my mirrors have.

I guess if i need new mirror bases, i'll try and source some power F15 mirrors from a wreckers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

So folding mirrors is not standard?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #11
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
So folding mirrors is not standard?
There are parts of the world where the X5 comes with halogen lights too...
      10-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #12
jero1213
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Oh I was not aware!
Well at least you are aware that it is possible to retrofit it to your X5.

and yes, that's my set up as well; "mirrors only fold when locking/unlocking the car "

best of luck!

Past:
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljljl View Post
That's pretty cool! did you go through esys for this?

Mine unfolds when the x5 unlock, whether by key fob or by pulling on the door handle.
I fold when parking into the garage too, I know the feels with a narrow garage!
Interesting! I bought mine used about 6K miles ago and the mirrors have been like that since the day I bought her. I doubt the previous owner coded them. It was a lease and there were no mods done.
Appreciate 0