BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Opes
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Back Seat Engine/Exhaust Vibration

My wife and I Just got back from a test drive of a 2014 X5 xDrive35i at our local dealership. Almost immediately, we noticed a significant engine/exhaust vibration emanating through the back seat (directly behind the driver’s seat). We were really surprised how uncomfortable this rumbling felt at both idle and during normal driving speeds.

Unfortunately, this was the only 2014 X5 on the lot, so we couldn’t compare against any other 2014 models. However, they did have 2013 X5 diesel, and it felt perfectly smooth while seated in the back seat.

Just curious…those of you who have a new 2014 X5, have you noticed this back seat vibration?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opes View Post
My wife and I Just got back from a test drive of a 2014 X5 xDrive35i at our local dealership. Almost immediately, we noticed a significant engine/exhaust vibration emanating through the back seat (directly behind the driver’s seat). We were really surprised how uncomfortable this rumbling felt at both idle and during normal driving speeds.

Unfortunately, this was the only 2014 X5 on the lot, so we couldn’t compare against any other 2014 models. However, they did have 2013 X5 diesel, and it felt perfectly smooth while seated in the back seat.

Just curious…those of you who have a new 2014 X5, have you noticed this back seat vibration?
Did the car just start up? Cold start on the 35i is surprisingly vocal... if you were back there for the first 30-60 seconds after start up, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit rumbly... but other than that, ours is very quiet (as least as much as a 2013, if not more).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Opes
Rep

Very good point about initial start up...

My wife quickly noticed the vibration after we switched driving positions during our test drive (approximately 10 minutes in), so the X5 was thoroughly warmed up. She wanted to check out the ride in the back seat, and that's when she initially noticed it while I was driving.

Once we arrived back at the dealership, I sat in the back seat while the X5 was idling and felt it too. Our SA jumped in the the back seat and agreed that this vibration was something new to him.

Just a note...we only felt this vibration while seated in the back seat and not the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Opes
Rep

We just test drove an sDrive 35i today, and this one had the same engine vibration too. I'm really bummed, since my wife is now leaning toward a left over '13 that doesn't have this issue.

Anyone else notice this second-row seat vibration in the '14 X5's?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
usta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8,G80, Raptor R, GT500

My wife noticed the same thing during the test drive when we switched drivers. I was in the back and didn't notice it all. She said she only noticed it behind the driver, not the passenger back seat.
We got our X5 about a month ago and she never mentioned anything, then again she never sat in the back and my son hasn't said anything either.
Appreciate 0