BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
ealtaras
Rep
Drives: X5

Arrow X Line with Paddle Shifters?

I have seen a couple of European X-Line images and videos that showed X5 2014 with paddle sifters although they were Not M Sport line. Does anyone know if this is an option that is possibly not in configuration but something that can be added?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Not available in the United States and BMW has zero intention of changing that anytime soon.

It is a shame since I really like the xLine but really want the sport auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Excellent response from E70 switch overs:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t=Msport+wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
ealtaras
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Excellent response from E70 switch overs:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t=Msport+wheel
Thanks barcelona. That sounds good. In that case maybe the M sport steering wheel that will be a part of M performance parts that will be released in Spring may hopefully work (although I'm not sure if BMW service would install it on X-line)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
ealtaras
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Not available in the United States and BMW has zero intention of changing that anytime soon.

+1 I really like the X line but besides the pedal shifters, the M steering wheel and the steel foot rest on the M Sport looks very nice. I still have time to change my order before it goes into production but can't decide. M sport exterior looks a little boring to me although I realize that's how sports lines across all brands typically are (no aluminum/satin accents or contrasts)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealtaras
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post

+1 I really like the X line but besides the pedal shifters, the M steering wheel and the steel foot rest on the M Sport looks very nice. I still have time to change my order before it goes into production but can't decide. M sport exterior looks a little boring to me although I realize that's how sports lines across all brands typically are (no aluminum/satin accents or contrasts)
Agree - too bubbly/toureg looking for me. I went X-Line, but I do wish I could have paddles for passing.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Agree - too bubbly/toureg looking for me. I went X-Line, but I do wish I could have paddles for passing.
As someone who has driven manual transmissions most of my life, I can honestly say that in the first 2500 miles of ownership, I have not yet felt the need to "manually" shift my X5. The 8 speed automatic is probably the best automatic transmission that I have ever driven. Besides, you can always shift with the console shifter if need be.

For me, paddle shifters in this type of car are a novelty that I would mess around with for a day or two and then never use again. Also, I prefer the look of the steering wheel on the Luxury and xLine models over the M-sport. IMO, the M-sport wheel looks out of place on a luxury SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
As someone who has driven manual transmissions most of my life, I can honestly say that in the first 2500 miles of ownership, I have not yet felt the need to "manually" shift my X5. The 8 speed automatic is probably the best automatic transmission that I have ever driven. Besides, you can always shift with the console shifter if need be.

For me, paddle shifters in this type of car are a novelty that I would mess around with for a day or two and then never use again. Also, I prefer the look of the steering wheel on the Luxury and xLine models over the M-sport. IMO, the M-sport wheel looks out of place on a luxury SUV.
Agree on the look of the wheel. I had a '11 X3 35i w/ M-Sport that had the same ZF8 w/ the sport auto transmission and I found the paddles were useful for downshifting and more natural to use than than the console shifter (...even though all my other BMWs have been 6MT).
Appreciate 0