BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #353
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e M-Sports 2016

Tailgate won't close upon pressing the button

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any details in this regard. Yesterday I noticed that the tailgate wont close if the lower section not closed properly. I'm pretty sure I didn't open the lower section after I open the tailgate but after I hit the lower door harder I was able to close the tailgate. Anyone noticed this before?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #354
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find any details in this regard. Yesterday I noticed that the tailgate wont close if the lower section not closed properly. I'm pretty sure I didn't open the lower section after I open the tailgate but after I hit the lower door harder I was able to close the tailgate. Anyone noticed this before?
Yeah it won't close automatically, but you can still manually close it.

And it's unlikely the lower hatch would open itself unless something was wrong with your lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #355
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Yup, its your OCD at full strength! LoL. Mine is just like yours. Wait, unless mine has issues too.
Both our 2015's are dimmer like that too. Wonder if it has something to do with nighttime/ reflections/vision impairment/ maybe it's just low powered and a longer light/???
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #356
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Potential software glitch:
I've noticed this today which I locked the doors from keyfob but blue color lights in the dash and doors did not fade out. However roof light turned off and it was only the doors and dash light stayed on. I tied unlocking and locking several time but the light stayed on. This problem only solved after I turn on the engine and turned off. I cannot remember the exact routine to recreate this but has anyone noticed this? I have the interior lighting package option BTW
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #357
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Just picked up my 2016 about a week ago. Love the car but this is what the rocker panels look like after driving a day in the rain. Not a full day but from meeting to meeting. Maybe a hundred miles. It's like sand. Road yuk I imagine. My 2007 or 2011 didn't do this. I thought I had seen a thread about this but can't find it now. Anyone figure out a way to fix this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #358
EvanRon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 F15 - GPS Location Stopped Working

12,000 miles around 6 months old (USA). Going home from the office this afternoon I see that the GPS location isn't working. The compass seems to still work because the map spins as I change direction, and traffic is working, but the vehicle location isn't changing.

I'll check it in the morning and I already emailed my BMW service guy.

I couldn't find a way to reset or calibrate the GPS. The service menu doesn't show any satellites from what I can tell.

-Evan
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #359
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

2015 X6 x35i, here is a list of some glitches that happen from time to time:
- HUD disappeared a couple of times while driving;
- check engine light would come and go on engine start (couple of times);
- steering wheel would not come into memory preset position (often);
- some rattling noises developed over last months, coming from the back/trunk area, although its empty;
- cabin air filter is not doing a good job in Lincoln tunnel (half of the time), the exhaust gases get into the cabin;

That's it so far, not too bad I guess. More to come if more noticed.

Last edited by toxic_bimmer; 05-20-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #360
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
2015 X6 x35i, here is a list of some glitches that happen from time:
- HUD disappeared a couple of times while driving;
- check engine light would come and go on engine start (couple of times);
- steering wheel would not come into memory preset position (often);
- some rattling noises developed over last months, coming from the back/trunk area, although its empty;
- cabin air filter is not doing a good job in Lincoln tunnel (half of the time), the exhaust gases get into the cabin;

That's it so far, not too bad I guess. More to come if more noticed.
I would be worried about HUD disappearing and rattling. CEL can come on if a drop of gas lands just outside filling opening. If you play with the circulation settings, does the Lincoln tunnel still give you trouble? I am highly sensitive to fumes and have to roll up windows or toggle to exclude exterior air when there are smokers in the area.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #361
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Almaretto, may I ask why HUD and rattling should be of a particular concern? I asked service ppl about HUD and they say it happens from time to time, although my other bimmers didn't have that problem.

Rattling, I thought that nyc and tristate area generally kill the drivetrain and suspension on any car after a while, and that's just an early sign of it. My 435i developed rattles and squeaks in about 3-4 months of city driving (midtown&downtown mostly).

As for the LT, yes, half of the time the auto mode still lets the fumes in, half time its ok, but I wish it could keep them out of the car at least 80-90% of the time, as I am sensitive to fumes too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #362
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Almaretto, may I ask why HUD and rattling should be of a particular concern? I asked service ppl about HUD and they say it happens from time to time, although my other bimmers didn't have that problem.

Rattling, I thought that nyc and tristate area generally kill the drivetrain and suspension on any car after a while, and that's just an early sign of it. My 435i developed rattles and squeaks in about 3-4 months of city driving (midtown&downtown mostly).

As for the LT, yes, half of the time the auto mode still lets the fumes in, half time its ok, but I wish it could keep them out of the car at least 80-90% of the time, as I am sensitive to fumes too.
All issues are of concern, especially early in ownership. But, some can be relative.

I guess I would have to see the HUD issue in person and get a better sense of how bad and frequent it was. Like you, I have not had similar HUD issues on any vehicles so that makes me concerned as well. The only trouble I have had with my HUD is when I manually toggled on and off to test what would be displayed on the dash (eg. turn-by-turn navigation will not simultaneously show in KOMBI dash instrument cluster and HUD); all the features did not immediately come back without restarting vehicle.

Comparatively, knowing that a the CEL can occur just from gas fumes alone, I would be less concerned if it came on just briefly. Additionally, I do have BMW diagnostic software that I can use to diagnose or provide additional details for any dash errors if they stay on for any extended period of time.

I cannot speak for driving in the NYC and tristate area as I only had a vehicle when I was in Boston and Western Massachusettes. The roads were pretty good, more so in Boston. My cars did not develop rattles. I have lived in other northeast cities, but was not driving so likely did not pay as close attention to the roads and their affect on my vehicles.
There were no repairs in California for over 10 years due to road maintenance freeze. Some of the roads were and still are so bad in Southern California that I was really glad I had tire insurance because I was frequently getting patched or new tires. They also are really bad on RFT, especially if recommended PSI are not maintained. One vehicle needed 3 tires in six months and all 4 were replaced at least one time in a year to year and a half. However, I did not develop any rattles. Though, unlike the HUD issue, I have read about other F15 drivers developing rattles and struggling with SA's to diagnose and resolve the issue; good luck.

For climate control, I am referring to the Automatic recirculated-air control/recirculated-air mode (#14 in image). I am not sure how good the filters are, but I believe they are meant more for larger particles. When buying air purifiers for my home, I had to do my research and realize there is a range of quality so not all will block fumes or smoke compared to dust and pollen particles. For the car, unfortunately auto mode does not sense and must be toggled; yet, the car must be programmed to reset or driver needs to toggle back to auto to avoid the air getting stale and affecting interior humidity. The new 7-series climate controls and automated system is superior as well as it even has changeable scents.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW F10 Manual - Climate Controls.pdf (956.1 KB, 559 views)
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #363
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:

All issues are of concern, especially early in ownership. But, some can be relative.

I guess I would have to see the HUD issue in person and get a better sense of how bad and frequent it was. Like you, I have not had similar HUD issues on any vehicles so that makes me concerned as well. The only trouble I have had with my HUD is when I manually toggled on and off to test what would be displayed on the dash (eg. turn-by-turn navigation will not simultaneously show in KOMBI dash instrument cluster and HUD); all the features did not immediately come back without restarting vehicle.

Comparatively, knowing that a the CEL can occur just from gas fumes alone, I would be less concerned if it came on just briefly. Additionally, I do have BMW diagnostic software that I can use to diagnose or provide additional details for any dash errors if they stay on for any extended period of time.

I cannot speak for driving in the NYC and tristate area as I only had a vehicle when I was in Boston and Western Massachusettes. The roads were pretty good, more so in Boston. My cars did not develop rattles. I have lived in other northeast cities, but was not driving so likely did not pay as close attention to the roads and their affect on my vehicles.
There were no repairs in California for over 10 years due to road maintenance freeze. Some of the roads were and still are so bad in Southern California that I was really glad I had tire insurance because I was frequently getting patched or new tires. They also are really bad on RFT, especially if recommended PSI are not maintained. One vehicle needed 3 tires in six months and all 4 were replaced at least one time in a year to year and a half. However, I did not develop any rattles. Though, unlike the HUD issue, I have read about other F15 drivers developing rattles and struggling with SA's to diagnose and resolve the issue; good luck.

For climate control, I am referring to the Automatic recirculated-air control/recirculated-air mode (#14 in image). I am not sure how good the filters are, but I believe they are meant more for larger particles. When buying air purifiers for my home, I had to do my research and realize there is a range of quality so not all will block fumes or smoke compared to dust and pollen particles. For the car, unfortunately auto mode does not sense and must be toggled; yet, the car must be programmed to reset or driver needs to toggle back to auto to avoid the air getting stale and affecting interior humidity. The new 7-series climate controls and automated system is superior as well as it even has changeable scents.
Wow! Thank you so much for such a detailed response, Almaretto! Appreciate your insights and will speak to my SA next time i see them. Roads are a bitch here... Filter, yeah, i shud just shut it close when passing the tunnel. HUD is behaving so far, happened a few times last year, few months into ownership but never since. Well, i dont drive that much either these days. Anyway, thanks for the comments!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #364
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Posted a thread about this but the lock/unlock acoustics went out on my wife's X5. The dealership had to replace the tilt sensor and siren assembly.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #365
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Have anyone noticed the humming noice inside the cabin coming from the AC blower? I drive 40e so when the engine is not running this noice is noticeable. When I turn the AC/blower off it goes away. Anything I should be worried? Car only has less than 250miles on the clock
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #366
hacksics
Private
Sri Lanka
Rep

Anyone😁
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #367
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

I recently experienced on a road trip from Columbus, OH to Annapolis, MD a rattling/popping noise coming from my passenger side when my moon roof was tilted doing highway speeds. In the city, under 45 mph there is no noise. I would best describe the sound as a tapping or nail in the tire sound, but it's not consistent with the tire speeds and I've checked my tires and they are fine. Has anyone else had any problems with the moonroof tilted on the highway?
      05-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #368
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5 View Post
I recently experienced on a road trip from Columbus, OH to Annapolis, MD a rattling/popping noise coming from my passenger side when my moon roof was tilted doing highway speeds. In the city, under 45 mph there is no noise. I would best describe the sound as a tapping or nail in the tire sound, but it's not consistent with the tire speeds and I've checked my tires and they are fine. Has anyone else had any problems with the moonroof tilted on the highway?
Is this the issues you're having? Watch the video on post 17.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1186607
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #369
djwallace
Moving around
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksics View Post
Anyone😁
Yes, see your SA as there is a new Valle available under warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #370
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Is this the issues you're having? Watch the video on post 17.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1186607

Thankfully, it's significantly more subdued than that. I think I'd have a conniption if that was the sound I was hearing in cabin. I'm actually feeling blessed now after hearing that awful sound, I think I can suck it up...

I'll have my first service in a few months, if it doesn't get worse, I'll likely ask the SA to fix it then.

Thanks for the info Neuera09 !
      05-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #371
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

@TortugaX5; You are welcome. I believe the OP used electrical tape to remedy the problem versus taking the matter to his/her dealer.

Yeap, that X5 sounded like an old 1960 BMX bike ... LoL
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #372
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

F15 Mineral White 2014 35d

just did detailing and noticed orange spots all over even on plastic fenders , looks like rust .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #373
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B
F15 Mineral White 2014 35d

just did detailing and noticed orange spots all over even on plastic fenders , looks like rust .
those are rail dust or specks of metal oxidized on the surface of your paint.

CarPro Iron X should melt most of it away but if you are OCD you can use the clay method - beware as claying will introduce marring and scratches, should be followed with paint correction. The Image below is a sample of a heavy contamination, and corrected by clay method (right area side):
Attached Images

Last edited by originalgoods13; 06-01-2016 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #374
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
those are rail dust or specks of metal oxidized on the surface of your paint.

CarPro Iron X should melt most of it away but if you are OCD you can use the clay method - beware as claying will introduce marring and scratches, should be followed with paint correction. The Image below is a sample of a heavy contamination, and corrected by clay method (right area side):
Are those water droplets on the left side area or paint bubbles?
Appreciate 0