BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Pure Stage 2

Anyone here install Pure Stage 2 turbo? I'm about to pull the trigger on one, but first would like to hear some reviews? I spoke with Pure they said the turbos will fit with no issues and to get the FTP 5 series inlet as they don't make one.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

I talked to Pure as well about the stage 2 and had a post on the forum asking the same question about a month or 2 ago.

You are going to need to do an intercooler upgrade, DP, charge pipe and tune at the min.

Wagner Tuning is the only company that I am aware of that makes a direct replacement bolt on intercooler for the F15. It just came out like a month or 2 ago. I have it. Install was quite a pain in the ass (not like intercooler upgrades you see on youtube where you can just drop the old and slide in the new. Entire front bumper/grille ad cooling fan need to come out for the install of the new), but definitely a nice upgrade in itself and definitely needed for the stage 2. IAT are much lower. The size alone compared to the stock intercooler is crazy.

My only concern with the stage 2 from talking to Pure is when I last spoke to them, they were not aware of an actual install on a F15/16 PWG car 2014+. All their experience was with the previous X5 models with EWG. With the cost in the turbo and labor, worries me slightly to hear "it should work" instead of "yeah we did a few installs and you will need this tune or that part, etc."

Always needs to be someone that goes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb335 View Post
Anyone here install Pure Stage 2 turbo? I'm about to pull the trigger on one, but first would like to hear some reviews? I spoke with Pure they said the turbos will fit with no issues and to get the FTP 5 series inlet as they don't make one.
Attached Images

Last edited by JWK170; 08-30-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 3
hufington3117.00
fr_tz497.00
TDOT_X546.50
      08-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
I talked to Pure as well about the stage 2 and had a post on the forum asking the same question about a month or 2 ago.

You are going to need to do an intercooler upgrade, DP, charge pipe and tune at the min.

Wagner Tuning is the only company that I am aware of that makes a direct replacement bolt on intercooler for the F15. It just came out like a month or 2 ago. I have it. Install was quite a pain in the ass (not like intercooler upgrades you see on youtube where you can just drop the old and slide in the new. Entire front bumper/grille ad cooling fan need to come out for the install of the new), but definitely a nice upgrade in itself and definitely needed for the stage 2. IAT are much lower. The size alone compared to the stock intercooler is crazy.

My only concern with the stage 2 from talking to Pure is when I last spoke to them, they were not aware of an actual install on a F15/16 EWG car. All their experience was with the previous X5 models with PWG. With the cost in the turbo and labor, worries me slightly to hear "it should work" instead of "yeah we did a few installs and you will need this tune or that part, etc."

Always needs to be someone that goes first.

Finally sir....where's the DIY thread?
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      08-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Guntherpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.5i Msport

just a clarification, I think you meant they have experience with a ewg vehicle and not the newer 2015+ pwg
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      08-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntherpdx View Post
just a clarification, I think you meant they have experience with a ewg vehicle and not the newer 2015+ pwg
You are correct there sir. Apologies for the miscommunication.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Finally sir....where's the DIY thread?

I wish I was patient enough to take step by step pictures for the DIY. However, I was quite frustrated once I found out I had to rip the whole front bumper/grille out. I had limited time so I could get it done in one day so I just started taking it apart piece by piece. That and I was having initial issues with the lower intercooler pipe fitting/clipping into the intercooler.

Never took the front end off before this install. Took longer with no resources on the tear down as I had to figure out how things were fastened and what actually had to be removed and what could be worked around.

Nowhere around me has a dyno for all wheel drive and wide enough for my vehicle so I was not able to get those numbers. I still need to work on a custom tune for my JB4 to see what kind of boost I can really push.

FYI. spacegray_f15 and I have been going back and forth outside the forum. I believe he is proceeding this this install and plans on doing the full DIY.

Last edited by JWK170; 08-30-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 N55 M sport

yes I should be getting this intercooler soon and will make a whole post about it!
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      09-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegray_f15 View Post
yes I should be getting this intercooler soon and will make a whole post about it!
Let me know if you decide to tackle the inlet pipe when you do it. Have 2 sitting in a box that I can sell ya one.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
Quote:
Let me know if you decide to tackle the inlet pipe when you do it. Have 2 sitting in a box that I can sell ya one.
Stage 2 is ordered! I will be the guinea pig! Will post install pics as I go!
Appreciate 4
JWK170200.00
menelaos1226.00
t04d94.50
      09-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

PS2 was amazing on my N55 powered 335i. Lot's of power all the way to 7k rpm. Car ran 11.7 @ 120 with PS2, JB4, and downpipe.

Would love to do PS2 on my N63TU
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
PS2 was amazing on my N55 powered 335i. Lot's of power all the way to 7k rpm. Car ran 11.7 @ 120 with PS2, JB4, and downpipe.

Would love to do PS2 on my N63TU
Update to PS2 - I received the FTP inlet pipe to find out our long inlet tube between the MAF and turbo inlet pipe have 2 different connections...The FTP has a circular connection and our OEM middle pipe has an oval connection at the inlet connection point! I am currently waiting on a 535i mid pipe to see if that will be required to install the FTP inlet! I will post more when I receive it!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, F15, F30

Looks promising!

Would you guys recommend getting an intercooler with a stock set up if I plan to tow?

Last edited by KnudsonM3; 09-19-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
Looks promising!

Would you guys recommend getting an intercooler with a stock set up if I plan to tow?
The only intercooler avail right now is the Wagner and it's pricey! I was looking into the 35d intercooler to see it is is bigger than ours! VRSF said they were making one...but I haven't heard back!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

Leave the stock intercooler and do meth injection instead. Easier, less expensive, and safer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 N55 M sport

Quote:
Update to PS2 - I received the FTP inlet pipe to find out our long inlet tube between the MAF and turbo inlet pipe have 2 different connections...The FTP has a circular connection and our OEM middle pipe has an oval connection at the inlet connection point! I am currently waiting on a 535i mid pipe to see if that will be required to install the FTP inlet! I will post more when I receive it!
any chance you could post a picture of the pipes you are referring to? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #16
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Inlet pipe

Quote:
Quote:
Attach is the required upper inlet pipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attach is the required upper inlet pipe
Guys, I started the install this morning! I'm about 5 hrs into doing it on my back!! Everything is seeming to go well and all hardware has broken loose effortlessly! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a few things...First I really feel that the FTP "upgraded inlet" is not much of an upgrade for EWG cars! Mine (oem) appears to actually look bigger! Both the inlet and boost pipes are a bitch to get out! I had to remove the inlet, then I was able to get my hands on the boost pipe to be able to push it inward and release the clip. All in all it has been going fairly easy -just time consuming!! Check the pics below on where to put the engine support as well as the inlet and clearance down below!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
menelaos1226.00
Maverik2594133.00
t04d94.50
      10-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Guys, I started the install this morning! I'm about 5 hrs into doing it on my back!! Everything is seeming to go well and all hardware has broken loose effortlessly! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a few things...First I really feel that the FTP "upgraded inlet" is not much of an upgrade for EWG cars! Mine (oem) appears to actually look bigger! Both the inlet and boost are a bitch to get out! I had to remove the inlet, then I was able to get my hands on the boost pipe to be able to push it inward and release the clip. All in all it be going fairly easy -just time consuming!! Check the pics below on where to put the engine support as well as the inlet and clearance down below!
You're a hero sir.....one more reason to spend on Black Friday!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #19
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pure Stage 2 - Update 2

Quote:
Quote:
Guys, I started the install this morning! I'm about 5 hrs into doing it on my back!! Everything is seeming to go well and all hardware has broken loose effortlessly! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a few things...First I really feel that the FTP "upgraded inlet" is not much of an upgrade for EWG cars! Mine (oem) appears to actually look bigger! Both the inlet and boost are a bitch to get out! I had to remove the inlet, then I was able to get my hands on the boost pipe to be able to push it inward and release the clip. All in all it be going fairly easy -just time consuming!! Check the pics below on where to put the engine support as well as the inlet and clearance down below!
Fellas, here goes it! The motor mount is a pain in the ass! There is an aft bolt on the bracket that is hidden and inline with the mount itself! It is a very tight fit to get tooling in there! I had to raise engine as far the support bar jack screw would allow. After that I was able to swing the bracket up and get ratchet, extension and socket in there. Beware you will get the ratchet stuck as you can only back out so far! Next I went to pull the big silver coolant line - also pain in the ass, as the hoses were seized on at the connection points. I used a heat gun to warm the hoses up and then pulled like hell and they finally broke free! After you pull the big coolant line out, you then can remove the upper heat shield! Will post an update after I drop the turbo out!
Appreciate 3
menelaos1226.00
t04d94.50
      11-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pure Stage 2 - Update 3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fellas, here goes it! The motor mount is a pain in the ass! There is an aft bolt on the bracket that is hidden and inline with the mount itself! It is a very tight fit to get tooling in there! I had to raise engine as far the support bar jack screw would allow. After that I was able to swing the bracket up and get ratchet, extension and socket in there. Beware you will get the ratchet stuck as you can only back out so far! Next I went to pull the big silver coolant line - also pain in the ass, as the hoses were seized on at the connection points. I used a heat gun to warm the hoses up and then pulled like hell and they finally broke free! After you pull the big coolant line out, you then can remove the upper heat shield! Will post an update after I drop the turbo out!
I highly recommend pulling the rt wheel well liner out! I should have done this from the beginning! All the shit that kicked my ass to disconnect could have been done in little to no time! From here you can access pretty much everything! Inlet & Boost tubes, EWG & Diverter valve plugs, Upper coolant line to water pump, all turbo oil/coolant lines on the turbo itself as well as connection to the block. I was to remove half of the flange nuts from here! I currently have 2 nuts holding the turbo in the truck - I will be dropping it out in the morning and will post a side by side pic!
Appreciate 3
      11-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
scottyb335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pure Stage 2 - Update 4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I highly recommend pulling the rt wheel well liner out! I should have done this from the beginning! All the shit that kicked my ass to disconnect could have been done in little to no time! From here you can access pretty much everything! Inlet & Boost tubes, EWG & Diverter valve plugs, Upper coolant line to water pump, all turbo oil/coolant lines on the turbo itself as well as connection to the block. I was to remove half of the flange nuts from here! I currently have 2 nuts holding the turbo in the truck - I will be dropping it out in the morning and will post a side by side pic!
She is in there!!! Everything is a direct plug n play!! Hit a speed bump when hooking up and screwing down the oil feed line to the block itself due to the GFB DV+!!! It is technically a spacer and it is right in front of the screw head!! We had to grind down a Torx 30 bit and super glue it to a ratcheting wrench to tighten it fully. Other than everything else was a breeze! I dropped the old turbo out around 830 am german time and just finished installing the downpipe at 645 pm - so you expect 8 hrs+ for the install. Check the pics below of the side by side as well as the tool we made.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      11-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
She is in there!!! Everything is a direct plug n play!! Hit a speed bump when hooking up and screwing down the oil feed line to the block itself due to the GFB DV+!!! It is technically a spacer and it is right in front of the screw head!! We had to grind down a Torx 30 bit and super glue it to a ratcheting wrench to tighten it fully. Other than everything else was a breeze! I dropped the old turbo out around 830 am german time and just finished installing the downpipe at 645 pm - so you expect 8 hrs+ for the install. Check the pics below of the side by side as well as the tool we made.
Wow, whish there was a full documented DIY. Pretty sure more people will start to do it if theres such a deatailed reference.
Appreciate 0