BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

Cricket noise from climate fan, drives me crazy!

I have this issue on x5 35d. When it gets colder outside climate control fan starts chirping like a cricket at low speeds, this drives me crazy! Any one experience this on their cars? This used to be an issue on E46 models, solution was to spray some lube on the fan bearing and it would go away, but I'm not sure if it will work here. Does any one know where is the actual fan located and easiest way how to how to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
blakedunc235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radekxpl View Post
I have this issue on x5 35d. When it gets colder outside climate control fan starts chirping like a cricket at low speeds, this drives me crazy! Any one experience this on their cars? This used to be an issue on E46 models, solution was to spray some lube on the fan bearing and it would go away, but I'm not sure if it will work here. Does any one know where is the actual fan located and easiest way how to how to get to it.
I would actually just replace the blower fan. I've done it in my Q5 and my parents' 1 series and its really easy and pretty cheap. A lot easier in the BMW too. You can find them for as cheap as $69 on amazon. From my experience the cheap ones perform exactly the same as the oem ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedunc235 View Post
Quote:
I would actually just replace the blower fan. I've done it in my Q5 and my parents' 1 series and its really easy and pretty cheap. A lot easier in the BMW too. You can find them for as cheap as $69 on amazon. From my experience the cheap ones perform exactly the same as the oem ones.
By any chance do you know what's the best way to access the blower ?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would check youtube because there's bound to be a guide on there. (thats where I've always gotten mine.) If there isnt one then its right under the glove box. On the 1 series it was really easy as there wasnt a cover at all for the blower fan. You just took off the screws holding the fan in place then you just twisted it out, twisted the new one in (plugged it in of course), then put the screws back.At the most youll have to move it a bunch to get it to come out since its a tight fit and the tubes that guides the air to the vents may be in the way, but just keep tugging at different angles or temporarily move the tube out of the way. At lunch ill go out and look at mine to see if there is a cover or not for it. If there is a cover or if the glove box covers it then youll have to drop the glove box, which is still really easy. I'm talking a screw driver is still all about you'll need for this whole fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
I actually got curious so I ran out to my car to check and on the f15 there is a cover right below the glove box, but there are 3 twist tabs that you can turn with your fingers to access the blower fan. No glove box removal so it'll be super easy. then from there you just need a screwdriver to remove and replace the old one.

I was able to take the cover off in 10 seconds so I'd assume the entire job would take no more than like 15 minutes if you take a beer break after you get it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you don't know it exists...the TIS website is usually helpful for questions of this type. Just type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, then type a keyword or phrase into the search box...and the site will give you multiple results. Or you can manually select an area and try to find it yourself. But in this case...I would simply enter the VIN then type "remove blower" and see what comes up: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1