F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92zilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Here or there I notice several threads pop up about that annoying brake squeal that sounds like a thousand buses coming to halt.

Here's the part numbers for everything that was installed on my car earlier this year and so far everything's been great! The only time I ever heard another noise was when I didn't wash my car for 2 weeks due to heavy rain and a super busy schedule other than that everything's A1.

Hopefully this helps and S/O to PhillyX5M we were having similar issues around the same time and he helped out however he could.
This was done outside of warranty ?
No I still have warranty.. you should still be able to purchase one though.
      08-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #24
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXTCHA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had this same fix applied late last year for the pads but the squealing became worse. Not sure if the 2019 version of this SIB has different pads but my part numbers were the same as the posts above.

Currently working with my SA now to get all 4 rotors replaced. Such a bummer to not be able to drive with windows down in the summer!
I got pads and rotors replaced and I've been fine since the top of this year.
Yeah my SA called me today and said they are replacing the pads (again) but weren't able to make any more headway until tomorrow.

They are pretty good about taking care of me so we'll see what happens but ultimately, I'm hoping a new set of rotors comes out of this tomorrow so I can update everyone.
They should change everything it's the right thing to do + I doubt the problem will go away with only changing 1 portion of the setup so it's probably best to swap everything out and break in the new setup exactly how they tell you to and you'll be fine.
Spoke to SA today. Said no new pads and they are pushing back on the rotors. I generally like this guy but today I hit my limit.

There is a serious lip on all 4 rotors and they "might" offer to lath the rotors... lol get out of here. I asked him what my depth was and he couldn't even give me a straight answer. So after he gave me the supposed depths I read back to him the new and min spec which was wildly different than what he told me (after he said he watched them measure).

Ok, so you watched but no one wrote it down? No problem I said. Let me know when I can come down tomorrow with my micrometer and we can measure together with you, a tech and the foreman. Well use yours first and then mine.

Will see how tomorrow shapes up but I'm already drafting a letter to BMW NA and will vote with my wallet if I have to. Pissed is an understatement.
Wow! totally unacceptable and I'm sorry your going threw this shit bro I'm really lost for words.
      08-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #25
rslong50
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3, 2017 BMW X5M

I had the 'bulletin' repair done about 3 weeks ago. All was good but the squealing is starting to come back. Not happy
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #26
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslong50 View Post
I had the 'bulletin' repair done about 3 weeks ago. All was good but the squealing is starting to come back. Not happy
Wow that's weird I've been good since the repairs were made.
      08-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #27
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslong50 View Post
Wow that's weird I've been good since the repairs were made.
Me too
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #28
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I am taking my car in Friday. I showed my SA the bulletin invoice from one of the earlier posts and my SA said that was for a different issue. I am not expecting a favorable outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #29
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I am taking my car in Friday. I showed my SA the bulletin invoice from one of the earlier posts and my SA said that was for a different issue. I am not expecting a favorable outcome.
Just had all new front brakes installed and have the following:

-Intermittent squeaking while stopping
-Front left ticking noise that increases with speed and most noticeable with right hand turns, but present very quietly driving straight.

I wonder what the tech messed up. I never had this before. Damn.

Going in for rear brakes in 2 days and will advise back.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #30
GXTCHA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had this same fix applied late last year for the pads but the squealing became worse. Not sure if the 2019 version of this SIB has different pads but my part numbers were the same as the posts above.

Currently working with my SA now to get all 4 rotors replaced. Such a bummer to not be able to drive with windows down in the summer!
Yeah my SA called me today and said they are replacing the pads (again) but weren't able to make any more headway until tomorrow.

They are pretty good about taking care of me so we'll see what happens but ultimately, I'm hoping a new set of rotors comes out of this tomorrow so I can update everyone.
They should change everything it's the right thing to do + I doubt the problem will go away with only changing 1 portion of the setup so it's probably best to swap everything out and break in the new setup exactly how they tell you to and you'll be fine.
Spoke to SA today. Said no new pads and they are pushing back on the rotors. I generally like this guy but today I hit my limit.

There is a serious lip on all 4 rotors and they "might" offer to lath the rotors... lol get out of here. I asked him what my depth was and he couldn't even give me a straight answer. So after he gave me the supposed depths I read back to him the new and min spec which was wildly different than what he told me (after he said he watched them measure).

Ok, so you watched but no one wrote it down? No problem I said. Let me know when I can come down tomorrow with my micrometer and we can measure together with you, a tech and the foreman. Well use yours first and then mine.

Will see how tomorrow shapes up but I'm already drafting a letter to BMW NA and will vote with my wallet if I have to. Pissed is an understatement.
Wow! totally unacceptable and I'm sorry your going threw this shit bro I'm really lost for words.
Appreciate it however, my persistence has seemingly paid off. They've had my truck for two weeks but I was able to get a verbal today that they will be replacing the front rotors. Tentatively on track for pickup tomorrow at which point I'll report back and share the whole experience.

Sold - 2016 F80 MG / Competition / Exec / DCT
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
GXTCHA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

All set. They did it in good faith...

Replace brakes and rotors on the front. Everything great right now. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated as I put miles and wear on them.
Attached Images

Sold - 2016 F80 MG / Competition / Exec / DCT
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      08-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #32
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

My new brakes (front and back) with pads and rotors was squeaking quite a bit. Cleaned wheels with Iron X and no more squeak. For now....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #33
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Damn, I have the squeaky brake 'feature' too. After breaking hard a couple of times it generally seems to improve for a while, however it always comes back. This is my first M car, a friend of mine with an M3 said it's pretty normal and it's down to the compound of the brake pads.

I think I'll take a print of this thread when I take my car in for a service and see what they say. Although here in the UK I have a feeling they'll try to say that service bulletin is just a US thing
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #34
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Damn, I have the squeaky brake 'feature' too. After breaking hard a couple of times it generally seems to improve for a while, however it always comes back. This is my first M car, a friend of mine with an M3 said it's pretty normal and it's down to the compound of the brake pads.

I think I'll take a print of this thread when I take my car in for a service and see what they say. Although here in the UK I have a feeling they'll try to say that service bulletin is just a US thing
What you should do is take a snapshot of the part numbers above and show it to your service advisor at your dealer keep in mind all of the parts come from Germany so I don't think this is a situation where it's only in the US try your best to see how you could get the situation rectified.
      09-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
What you should do is take a snapshot of the part numbers above and show it to your service advisor at your dealer keep in mind all of the parts come from Germany so I don't think this is a situation where it's only in the US try your best to see how you could get the situation rectified.
I'll give that a go, although if I could get a printout of the exact Tech Service Bulletin that would be helpful.

Looking at the screenshots above it looks like its TSB ref 340816.

If that bulletin is applicable globally / worldwide that would be helpful to me
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:49 AM   #36
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Just used this TSB and dealer replaced all front brake components. Not enough miles to see if the squeak is permanently gone. Either way I got new brakes and I’m out of service warranty
Quote:
I'll give that a go, although if I could get a printout of the exact Tech Service Bulletin that would be helpful.

Appreciate 2
C320337.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-13-2019, 12:19 AM   #37
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Just used this TSB and dealer replaced all front brake components. Not enough miles to see if the squeak is permanently gone. Either way I got new brakes and I’m out of service warranty
Quote:

09-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #38
Dsot
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Hey guys. Picked up a 2016 CPO x5m 3 weeks ago. Took it to my local dealer (Peabody MA) for the break squeal issue.

Swapped out the front pads without hesitation. Few days in no squeal at all. Guy said they redeveloped the pads (probably used on later models) and potentially fixed the issue.

He also said they were 450 usd for just front pads. Ouch.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #39
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Its a crude solution i know but i snow foamed my rotors, calipers and discs last weekend and then washed off with the pressure washer.

Short drive to dry the brakes off and they havent squealed all week!

Appreciate thats not a permanent solution but ok for a short term fix 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #40
Logical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I'll be needing brakes soon. Is there any update from the OP? So far I've learned two things. Problem is resolved by installing new generation of pads with different compound, and keep the wheels clean.
2015 F86 X6 M (Retired)
2014 F10 M5 (Retired)
2010 E70 X5 M (Retired), 2010 E92 M3 MT (Retired)
2006 E60 M5 (Retired), 2000 E39 M5 MT (Retired)
1999 E39 328i (Retired), 1995 525i (Retired)
1987 325i (Totaled - that was fun!)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #41
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Time to switch SA's... I have plenty of times. This is a service bulletin. They are obligated to provide you with the service. Getting mine done this week. Finally gave up with this school bus.😂
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #42
artgo
Rep
Drives: G11 750i

Recently got a 2017 X6M and had squeal coming from my brakes, became unbearable to drive. The only time it didn't make noise was when the car was fresh out of the wash. I have been taking my cars to Open Road BMW in Edison for years and as always they didn't disappoint. Great service and the techs always know what they are doing. The attached photo indicates the repairs they made and since then I haven't had any issues.

Also, I had a small vibration at 80-90 MPH and it turns out it was the rotors. This issue along with a clicking sound was all repaired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #43
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

My front rotors and pads were replaced under warranty. So far only 200 miles and sounding pretty good
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #44
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsot View Post
Hey guys. Picked up a 2016 CPO x5m 3 weeks ago. Took it to my local dealer (Peabody MA) for the break squeal issue.

Swapped out the front pads without hesitation. Few days in no squeal at all. Guy said they redeveloped the pads (probably used on later models) and potentially fixed the issue.

He also said they were 450 usd for just front pads. Ouch.
Yes my SA told me the same, glad you got it done I'm 99% sure you won't have any issues from here on out.