United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftika7 View Post
I am not sure if they are OEM X5 wheels or from something else and will they fit on 2015 X5
Not the place for this post man. Cmon. Keep these threads clean. This isn't the "ask a random question" thread. It's for those having major issues on their X5 to post it so we can all keep track of the common issues and how to fix them. Not what said rims will fit your X5.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #772
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Lately I cannot select a song via steering control. It scrolls through the dash but when I select it, nothing happens. It works perfectly fine with FM/AM/SAT, just doesn't with BT. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #773
sweeper6
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Lately I cannot select a song via steering control. It scrolls through the dash but when I select it, nothing happens. It works perfectly fine with FM/AM/SAT, just doesn't with BT. Thoughts?
Been having the same issue since the IOS 13 update, however Pandora works when jumping tracks via steering wheel when plugged in the USB which leads me to believe its an IOS 13 thing....its frustrating cause its a feature I didn't realize I used so much, till I couldn't. Going to try and pair another phone running the previous version and see later today.

UPDATE:
So I removed my phone and paired another running on IOS 12 and it worked as it should. I then removed it and re-paired mine and it magically fixed itself...
      10-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #774
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper6 View Post
Quote:
Been having the same issue since the IOS 13 update, however Pandora works when jumping tracks via steering wheel when plugged in the USB which leads me to believe its an IOS 13 thing....its frustrating cause its a feature I didn't realize I used so much, till I couldn't. Going to try and pair another phone running the previous version and see later today.

UPDATE:
So I removed my phone and paired another running on IOS 12 and it worked as it should. I then removed it and re-paired mine and it magically fixed itself...
I'll try that once I get my car back
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #775
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyone know if the newer ceramic controllers fit in a 2015? I see the 2016+ have a more flush controller than actual buttons.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #776
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

'14 xDrive 35 ~70,000 miles

1) Whirring/fan noise from climate control system. Sound of the whir corresponds to engine RPM and goes away if I turn off the climate control fan. I haven't checked into the cause yet.

2) Excessive wear on Dakota seats and trim. I bought the vehicle CPO and the previous owner must have abused them, "refinished" by someone, washed away by me.

3) Rear suspension airbag, passenger side, has been deflating. Replacement parts are inexpensive and an easy repair. Both sides for $256 delivered and probably 1-2 hours labor, total.

4) When I bought it there was an occasional stumbling/stall at cold start. I used a bottle of the Chevron(?) fuel system cleaner/treatment and have driven it in manual/sport mode somewhat aggressively per recommendations on this forum(?). The problem went away fairly quickly and has not returned.

Our third X vehicle ('01 X53.0 manual, '10 X6 xD35) and I am currently shopping for our 4th. Very happy with the reliability, customer service, etc. Compared to our '11 Ford Explorer the BMW's have been superb in every respect and far less expensive to own, more so if factor in your time/$.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #777
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This fit in a 2014 build? Looks more flush then what I have

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254370915997
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #778
bmw_noobe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Help, strange sound started happening 4 months ago (around June)

Dear fellow BMW enthusiasts and experts. Totally new here and had never needed to post questions before but I have exhausted all options and seeking advice.

I've scanned through this thread completely (all 35 pages as of 10/09/19) and didn't see anything that matches my problem. Apologize upfront if a thread is already created for this. I'd humbly go check out that thread if someone would be so kind as to point me there.

I own three BMWs. A 2007 BMW 530i, a 2011 Z4 sdrive35i and now a 2016 X5 50i. After checking out threads on this forum about 35i vs 50i, I convinced myself I needed the 50i. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...milies/lol.gif I picked up my beautiful alpine white, 25k miles, fully loaded X5 CPO last Oct 2018. Had to drive 1 1/2 hour to get to the dealership.

There were some minor things that I had to get fixed, such as the HUD disappearing during rainy days, climate fans rattle, squeaks in the B pillar (turned out to be a cavity) and a few minor cosmetic items. So for 8-9 months, I had been immensely satisfied with the car. The car ran great and cabin was very quiet, exactly what I'd expected from BMW's flagship. However, when the first summer months came, I started noticing this strange sound that I can only describe as chirping or rattle. Initially it was faint but as the summer months continue, the chirping sound got louder and louder.

Below is a youtube video link recording of the sound at about 5 to 6 chirps per sec about 7 and 24 seconds into the recording. I recorded this when the outside ambient was 79F so it is a little faint so you'll need to turn up the volume. Sound can be heard under load prior to switching to lower gears around 1k rpm. I first noticed it when I was cruising at 40mph on a flat horizontal road on a hot day. Upon lightly stepping on the gas to accelerate, the transmission would stay in 8th gear for a few seconds before it switches to a lower gear. It is during these few seconds is when I hear the chirping sounds. In addition, long climbs up hills will definitely exhibit the noise as the car is constantly under load and the sound can be heard at all gears.

Took it in to my local dealership three times. Initially they could not reproduce but eventually they did with the TSE from BMWNA. The following is their findings exactly as it is shown on the invoice. "30116 ROAD TEST VEHICLE AND INTEROGATE FAULT MEMORY ROAD TEST VEHICLE FOR CHIRPING SOUND ON SMOOTH ROAD BETWEEN 1K TO 1500 RPM AT 7TH OR 8TH GEAR WHILE ACCELERATING AT 40MPH. CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER AND PERFORM VEHICLE TEST. FOUND NO FAULT STORED PERTAINING TO CONCERN. REMOVED BOTH SPLASH GUARDS, ENGINE ACOUSTIC COVERS, AND ENGINE COWL TO PINPOINT AND ISOLATE THE NOISE. CHASSIS EAR CLIPS APPLIED ON VARIOUS PARTS OF THE ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND SUSPENSION. NOISE HEARD LOUDEST AT EXHAUST. TSE MIKE P. AND FOREMAN TEST DROVE NARROWING THE NOISE DOWN TO THE TURBOS. AS SUCH, WHEN THE TURBO IS SWITCHING BETWEEN BOOST UPON LOADS THE FLUTTERING NOISE OCCURS AS THE AIR PASSES THROUGH THE VALVES. PER TSE IT'S A NORMAL OPERATION. NO FURTHER ACTIONS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME."

I was really unsatisfied with this finding and they could not explain to me why I did not hear this sound prior to June. With no resolution, I took back my car. Come Sept, the outside temp hit 100F and the chirping noise was quite noticeably louder and happening every time I accelerate. Furious, I brought my car in for the fourth time. My SA and the master foreman were sympathetic to my concern and had tried to submit a warranty request to replace the turbo. Unfortunately, the same TSE saw the car again and refused further warranty work and denied the claim.

I then brought it the same dealership I bought the car for a second opinion. After a week and half, the SA manager who personally took my case, was able to reproduce the sound and fortunately (or unfortuantely), another 2016 50i also came in for service for something else. The SA manager drove both customer's X5 50is to compare and per the SA manager, found that BOTH cars made the same noise (couldn't confirm since I am not allowed to drive another customer's car).

The SA manager could not explain why I didn't hear the sound for 8 months after purchase. The other 50i owner never brought up the same concern (SA could see the records). So either that owner haven't realized the sound was there or that person don't care. While this bit of information is useful in that it gives me a bit of peace of mind, I am still scratching my head as to why the sound was not there from the beginning.

BTW, I also started a case with BMWNA. They claim they are my advocate and are investigating my concern. It has been two weeks but have not heard back. I'm not hopeful but am crossing my fingers.

Now, question for the forum.

Do you think this sound is normal?

Have anyone else with a similar year and model experience the same? If so, did you resolve it and how?

What would you recommend me to do next?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #779
sdemartino
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 x35i

Having trouble really hearing anything in the recording.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #780
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

UPDATE:
Mine still doesn't work 🤷🏽*♂️🤷🏽*♂️🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #781
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

UPDATE:
After getting plugs changed, car has a slight vibration when cruising. When I'm accelerating, it's pretty smooth. I got a step colder plugs from M5 NGK. Thoughts?

I did put a more "aggressive" tune in during the plug change but doubt it could be that.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #782
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

UPDATE:
Damn these BMWs and their tech!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #783
siyadsalah
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi all, new to this forum. Need to know by any chance the coding could affect fuel consumption?

Appreciate your advise as Im bit worried. thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #784
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyadsalah View Post
Hi all, new to this forum. Need to know by any chance the coding could affect fuel consumption?

No.

Might smile more, tho!
      10-20-2019, 02:24 AM   #785
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
I'll try that once I get my car back
Update to latest iOS (13.1.3), remove the phone, and re-pair, should work normally.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #786
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

How would coding affect fuel economy? Do you mean tuning?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #787
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_noobe View Post
Dear fellow BMW enthusiasts and experts. Totally new here and had never needed to post questions before but I have exhausted all options and seeking advice.

I've scanned through this thread completely (all 35 pages as of 10/09/19) and didn't see anything that matches my problem. Apologize upfront if a thread is already created for this. I'd humbly go check out that thread if someone would be so kind as to point me there.

I own three BMWs. A 2007 BMW 530i, a 2011 Z4 sdrive35i and now a 2016 X5 50i. After checking out threads on this forum about 35i vs 50i, I convinced myself I needed the 50i. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...milies/lol.gif I picked up my beautiful alpine white, 25k miles, fully loaded X5 CPO last Oct 2018. Had to drive 1 1/2 hour to get to the dealership.

There were some minor things that I had to get fixed, such as the HUD disappearing during rainy days, climate fans rattle, squeaks in the B pillar (turned out to be a cavity) and a few minor cosmetic items. So for 8-9 months, I had been immensely satisfied with the car. The car ran great and cabin was very quiet, exactly what I'd expected from BMW's flagship. However, when the first summer months came, I started noticing this strange sound that I can only describe as chirping or rattle. Initially it was faint but as the summer months continue, the chirping sound got louder and louder.

Below is a youtube video link recording of the sound at about 5 to 6 chirps per sec about 7 and 24 seconds into the recording. I recorded this when the outside ambient was 79F so it is a little faint so you'll need to turn up the volume. Sound can be heard under load prior to switching to lower gears around 1k rpm. I first noticed it when I was cruising at 40mph on a flat horizontal road on a hot day. Upon lightly stepping on the gas to accelerate, the transmission would stay in 8th gear for a few seconds before it switches to a lower gear. It is during these few seconds is when I hear the chirping sounds. In addition, long climbs up hills will definitely exhibit the noise as the car is constantly under load and the sound can be heard at all gears.

Took it in to my local dealership three times. Initially they could not reproduce but eventually they did with the TSE from BMWNA. The following is their findings exactly as it is shown on the invoice. "30116 ROAD TEST VEHICLE AND INTEROGATE FAULT MEMORY ROAD TEST VEHICLE FOR CHIRPING SOUND ON SMOOTH ROAD BETWEEN 1K TO 1500 RPM AT 7TH OR 8TH GEAR WHILE ACCELERATING AT 40MPH. CONNECT BATTERY CHARGER AND PERFORM VEHICLE TEST. FOUND NO FAULT STORED PERTAINING TO CONCERN. REMOVED BOTH SPLASH GUARDS, ENGINE ACOUSTIC COVERS, AND ENGINE COWL TO PINPOINT AND ISOLATE THE NOISE. CHASSIS EAR CLIPS APPLIED ON VARIOUS PARTS OF THE ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND SUSPENSION. NOISE HEARD LOUDEST AT EXHAUST. TSE MIKE P. AND FOREMAN TEST DROVE NARROWING THE NOISE DOWN TO THE TURBOS. AS SUCH, WHEN THE TURBO IS SWITCHING BETWEEN BOOST UPON LOADS THE FLUTTERING NOISE OCCURS AS THE AIR PASSES THROUGH THE VALVES. PER TSE IT'S A NORMAL OPERATION. NO FURTHER ACTIONS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME."

I was really unsatisfied with this finding and they could not explain to me why I did not hear this sound prior to June. With no resolution, I took back my car. Come Sept, the outside temp hit 100F and the chirping noise was quite noticeably louder and happening every time I accelerate. Furious, I brought my car in for the fourth time. My SA and the master foreman were sympathetic to my concern and had tried to submit a warranty request to replace the turbo. Unfortunately, the same TSE saw the car again and refused further warranty work and denied the claim.

I then brought it the same dealership I bought the car for a second opinion. After a week and half, the SA manager who personally took my case, was able to reproduce the sound and fortunately (or unfortuantely), another 2016 50i also came in for service for something else. The SA manager drove both customer's X5 50is to compare and per the SA manager, found that BOTH cars made the same noise (couldn't confirm since I am not allowed to drive another customer's car).

The SA manager could not explain why I didn't hear the sound for 8 months after purchase. The other 50i owner never brought up the same concern (SA could see the records). So either that owner haven't realized the sound was there or that person don't care. While this bit of information is useful in that it gives me a bit of peace of mind, I am still scratching my head as to why the sound was not there from the beginning.

BTW, I also started a case with BMWNA. They claim they are my advocate and are investigating my concern. It has been two weeks but have not heard back. I'm not hopeful but am crossing my fingers.

Now, question for the forum.

Do you think this sound is normal?

Have anyone else with a similar year and model experience the same? If so, did you resolve it and how?

What would you recommend me to do next?

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice.
Don't hear anything in the video. You sure you don't just hear the turbos spooling up. FI systems make noise (blowers and turbos) most people like it and want to hear more with intakes and free flow headers to allow them to spool easier
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #788
siyadsalah
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Quote:

No.

Might smile more, tho!
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you all, appreciate your response

Actually, i have done basic coding using BimmerCode app with the help of Veepeak OBD tool. Just the basic things like head unit display, Ins.cluster options etc following youtubers.

After the coding is completed, i noticed the miles till next refuel notification in the instrument cluster is running down so quick hence i doubt something has affected the fuel consumption.

Have i done something wrong? Should I revert all the coding done?

kindly share your thoughts on this. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #789
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
Quote:

No.

Might smile more, tho!
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you all, appreciate your response

Actually, i have done basic coding using BimmerCode app with the help of Veepeak OBD tool. Just the basic things like head unit display, Ins.cluster options etc following youtubers.

After the coding is completed, i noticed the miles till next refuel notification in the instrument cluster is running down so quick hence i doubt something has affected the fuel consumption.

Have i done something wrong? Should I revert all the coding done?

kindly share your thoughts on this. thank you!
Has nothing to do with coding. Just your driving habits
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #790
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bluetooth controls still acting up but I dunno anymore lol.

Anyways, I'm trying to do BMW CONNECTED DRIVE but not seeing any "messages" to add vehicle to profile?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #791
RyanCapo5150
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 XDrive50i

Exclamation 2015 BMW X5 50i Issues- Engine and Transmission

So I got this car completely loaded and ready for a new home last November, to only find that the engine burns an excessive amount of oil, and it had a N63 issue like every other N63. 2 days ago I was driving and the ZF 8 HP transmission mated to the engine started lugging, which is a bad sign, then the car decided to shut half of the cylinders and the turbos stopped working. I immediately called BMW and they said to bring the car in the next day. As of right now we are still waiting on the response and the engine is probably trashed. Which means that we have to be on the N63 wait list so we can get a new engine
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #792
bmrmadness
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5, 2006 M5, 2007 X5

Different tire size wearing transfer case

This is my first entry and need some help.
Since I bought the car (2016 X5 3.0) new it pulls quite a bit during lane changes. I took it back for 2 wheel alignments and the pulling lessened but was still there. I wrote this off to the poor quality OEM tires which only lasted 35k km. Have since changed the summer tires and the new tires still pull.
Changed to my winter tires a few weeks ago and the pulling was so dramatic that I took it in last week for a wheel alignment. It was out of alignment and now has improved significantly but not gone away.
The dealer has also now informed me of a significant likelihood of transfer case failure due to the different sizes of winter tires on the car. My winter tires are 255 50 19 but last year had a tire shop put 2 new 255 55 19 replacement winter tires on the back due to a nail hole. This was the only size they had in stock. I assumed they would work fine.
Checking the tire diameters I now see that the 55 is 1 inch larger in diameter for a 3.4% difference.
Question - is this an acceptable tolerance for the transfer case or do I need to change the tires to make them the same? Is this affecting the handling of the vehicle and the pulling or is the pulling something else.
Appreciate 0