BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36>F16>G30

Another downpipe question :)

I think I am going to pull the plug on adding a high flow catted dp on my n55 F16. But before I do that, I wanted to find out a few thing from somebody who had a similar vehicle and mods. My current set up is: mpe, mppk, jb+, drop in afe filter.
1. Is the VRSF the best choice price/quality wise?
2. Their CEL fix will only clear a dp related code or it will mask all the possible CEL?
3. Will I get a bump of 30+ HP/TQ with my current set up?
4. Is it going to be really loud with the mpe? Maybe I should remove the mpe then and put my oem axle back in place? Does mpe really add any power gains?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! 🙂
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 N55 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by duercos View Post
Thanks! 🙂
I don't know how loud it will be since it will be catted but my catless downpipe with the MPE was so loud I had to put my stock muffler on. As far as the vrsf ones, I know people had lots of fitment issues so I went with the ER one and upon tuning I definitely got 30+hp however like I mentioned before it'll be different with the catted downpipe I'm not sure
Appreciate 2
duercos201.00
r33_RGSport12982.00
      07-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

I have the MPE, ER Catted DP, MPPK, BMS Intake, and JB4.

I don’t mind the tone of the exhaust and dp. I think the catted dp helps decrease it a little. I have received a lot of compliments about the tone. Granted my wife and mother can’t stand it. There isn’t too much drone and at cruising speeds it’s not too bad. Granted on my longer commutes I do get a lil tired of it and turn up the radio. Going to look into some dynamat in the spare tire well to see if i can cut down a little cabin noise.

I went with the catted ER dp hoping it would not throw a CEL. That is not the case. I tried a few methods to see if I could get it to go away permanently, but didn’t have luck. I have one last attempt pending install where I have a simulator wired to my 2nd O2 to fool the computer. Once I install it, I will let you know if it works. I can clear the CEL with the JB4 but it comes back on anywhere from 30-100 miles. I have yearly emission inspection in PA so if I can’t clear the CEL and get the car back into ready state, I will have to put the oem cat on to pass inspection.

As far as power, I can’t say specifically on just the DP. I did all my upgrades at the same time but overall pretty happy with the overall power so far.

Quote:
I think I am going to pull the plug on adding a high flow catted dp on my n55 F16. But before I do that, I wanted to find out a few thing from somebody who had a similar vehicle and mods. My current set up is: mpe, mppk, jb+, drop in afe filter.
2. Their CEL fix will only clear a dp related code or it will mask all the possible CEL?
4. Is it going to be really loud with the mpe? Maybe I should remove the mpe then and put my oem axle back in place? Does mpe really add any power gains?
Appreciate 2
duercos201.00
r33_RGSport12982.00
      07-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegray_f15 View Post
Quote:
Thanks! 🙂
I don't know how loud it will be since it will be catted but my catless downpipe with the MPE was so loud I had to put my stock muffler on. As far as the vrsf ones, I know people had lots of fitment issues so I went with the ER one and upon tuning I definitely got 30+hp however like I mentioned before it'll be different with the catted downpipe I'm not sure
Thanks for your input! How does catless sound with your stock muffler? Any drone on highways?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
I have the MPE, ER Catted DP, MPPK, BMS Intake, and JB4.

I don’t mind the tone of the exhaust and dp. I think the catted dp helps decrease it a little. I have received a lot of compliments about the tone. Granted my wife and mother can’t stand it. There isn’t too much drone and at cruising speeds it’s not too bad. Granted on my longer commutes I do get a lil tired of it and turn up the radio. Going to look into some dynamat in the spare tire well to see if i can cut down a little cabin noise.

I went with the catted ER dp hoping it would not throw a CEL. That is not the case. I tried a few methods to see if I could get it to go away permanently, but didn’t have luck. I have one last attempt pending install where I have a simulator wired to my 2nd O2 to fool the computer. Once I install it, I will let you know if it works. I can clear the CEL with the JB4 but it comes back on anywhere from 30-100 miles. I have yearly emission inspection in PA so if I can’t clear the CEL and get the car back into ready state, I will have to put the oem cat on to pass inspection.

As far as power, I can’t say specifically on just the DP. I did all my upgrades at the same time but overall pretty happy with the overall power so far.

Quote:
Appreciate your reply mate! At this point I think it would make more sense to get a catless one and put back my stock muffler. I do travel a lot with my wife and our 2 year old son, so I guess even catted dp will be too loud with our mpe installed.. I live in NY and we also have early inspections, my upcoming one is this month. How is the installation process? How much would a muffler shop charge for the job approximately?
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! 🙂
Thanks for your input! How does catless sound with your stock muffler? Any drone on highways?
It sounds fairly quiet at cold start but good when you get on it and rev it. I personally love it cause it still sounds like it's a stock performance suv without being super loud like some of the M3s and M4s
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      07-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! 🙂
It sounds fairly quiet at cold start but good when you get on it and rev it. I personally love it cause it still sounds like it's a stock performance suv without being super loud like some of the M3s and M4s
Did you dyno it after your put your oem muffler back on? Hesitating if there are any major gains of a catless dp but stock axle back
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

One more question guys.. do I need to order an optional O2 sensor or EGT bung?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! 🙂
Did you dyno it after your put your oem muffler back on? Hesitating if there are any major gains of a catless dp but stock axle back
I haven't dyno'd it yet but it doesn't seem to have lost any power when I went back to stock. The MPE isn't really a horse power yielding mod anyway. I think the catless dp with the stock muffler and the bm3 stg2 tune is definitely a huge improvement over stock. The car rips!
Appreciate 2
JWK170200.00
duercos201.00
      07-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

I had a BMW Indy shop install the DP initially while I had them doing some other work. I think just the DP install was around $150-200.

After I was still getting the CEL errors, I messed around with it myself and took it out to make sure there wasn't any leaks and installed it with new clamps. Overall, it's not too difficult of a install. Only issue is it is quite crammed in that area so the tight quarters make it a little more awkward and difficult.

Quote:
Appreciate your reply mate! At this point I think it would make more sense to get a catless one and put back my stock muffler. I do travel a lot with my wife and our 2 year old son, so I guess even catted dp will be too loud with our mpe installed.. I live in NY and we also have early inspections, my upcoming one is this month. How is the installation process? How much would a muffler shop charge for the job approximately?
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      07-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
You don't need to, unless if you need it for custom tune that need to have additional sensor. Like exhaust temp, etc.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
duercos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
You don't need to, unless if you need it for custom tune that need to have additional sensor. Like exhaust temp, etc.
Hi Ben which one do you personally recommend VRSF or ER? In terms of performance, more refined sound and ease of fitment on f15/f16? Also which one do you have in stock and what is my group member price? 😊
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12982.00
      07-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
1. Dont get the VRSF one! Its not designed for F15 and dose Not fit. Get ER...
2. MPE with Catless sounds quite loud and nasty.. I dont know about catted tho.
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      07-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ben which one do you personally recommend VRSF or ER? In terms of performance, more refined sound and ease of fitment on f15/f16? Also which one do you have in stock and what is my group member price? 😊
PM'ed.
Appreciate 1
duercos201.00
      07-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

I am running the ER Catted DP I got from Ben with the MPE. I also have the MPPK and JB4 and running open flaps so you get some burble.

Here is a sound clip I took of cold start after the car sat a few hours. About 3/4 way in it cuts over to standard idle to give you an idea of some of the sound difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMiTnq7m8k

At cruising speeds the excess sound is minimal. When you punch it pretty hard though it can get a lot louder where some of my passengers find it annoying yet many other people complement the sound. Overall I am happy with the set up.

I can't find any of my posted videos that I can link of running it wide open. I'll see if I can find one.

Quote:
Hi Ben which one do you personally recommend VRSF or ER? In terms of performance, more refined sound and ease of fitment on f15/f16? Also which one do you have in stock and what is my group member price? ��
Appreciate 3
duercos201.00
r33_RGSport12982.00
mrod81207.50
      07-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #17
mrod81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
PM'ed.
@r33_RGSport same questions let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod81 View Post
@r33_RGSport same questions let me know.
PM'ed.
Appreciate 0