BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Coming Spring 2014: Extended range of series equipment for the new BMW X5

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Coming Spring 2014: Extended range of series equipment for the new BMW X5
COMMENTS

Note: This is a global press release (not applicable to all markets) (from larger press release).

January 22, 2014

Extended range of series equipment for the new BMW X5 and the top-of-the-range version of the BMW 6 Series.

The multitude of driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive, which come as standard or are fitted as an option, is one of the characteristic features that make the new BMW X5 clearly stand out from the competition. From the spring of 2014, this added advantage will be emphasised even more intensively by complementing the standard equipment of the Sports Activity Vehicle by the Driving Assistant system. Driving Assistant comprises camera-based Lane Departure Warning and Collision Warning (including pedestrian warning) with brake application function. Lane Departure Warning makes the steering wheel vibrate in order to warn the driver when he or she veers out of lane unintentionally. Collision Warning detects vehicles driving ahead and pedestrians. The system issues a visual and acoustic warning if there is an imminent risk of collision. It also initiates a braking process, if required.

On the eight-cylinder models of the BMW 6 Series, an extension of the range of series equipment in the spring of 2014 further accentuates their highly athletic character. In future, the BMW 650i Coupe, the BMW 650i Convertible and the BMW 650i Gran Coupe will all be equipped with an M Sport exhaust system installed at the factory. The motor-racing inspired system developed by BMW M GmbH reduces the exhaust back pressure and emphasises the characteristic acoustics of the V8 power unit during acceleration and deceleration.

As of spring 2014, the optional Harman Kardon surround system will be available on all BMW 6 Series models. The system guarantees music enjoyment at the highest level while en route. In conjunction with the optional navigation system Professional, the iDrive operating system will in future comprise a touch controller for the entry of characters.

Available in future as a standard feature: Tyre pressure indicator for each individual tyre.

Starting in spring, drivers of a BMW will be warned of a loss of tyre pressure more precisely than ever before. A tyre pressure indicator will be offered as a standard equipment feature on all new vehicles of the brand with the exception of the BMW X6. Sensors on all four tyres facilitate an exact and individual monitoring of the pressure in each individual tyre. The tyre pressure currently at hand will be shown in the Control Display or the instrument cluster, respectively, depending on the model and the equipment options customers have chosen. In the event of a loss of tyre pressure, the driver will be made aware of a possible danger well in advance.

High-speed graphics, additional functions: The new generation of the navigation system Business and the radio Professional.

With enhanced functions and optimised performance, the latest generation of the radio Professional and the navigation system Business is raising comfort and driving pleasure to an even higher level. Both newly revised options will be introduced in the spring of 2014. During the course of 2014, they will also be introduced to the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 2 Series and the BMW 5 Series and will then be available for all models except for the BMW X6. Both systems have a new control unit with boosted computing performance. Thus, for example, Bluetooth audio streaming will be available in the vehicle with the integration of mobile devices as well as additional BMW ConnectedDrive services.

The most significant innovation to the navigation system Business are the graphic images which now generate 10 times faster than before on the 16.5-inch control display. High-resolution maps, which now have 3D elements and animations, and an increased speed when calculating routes characterise the advancement made possible by the optimisation of the control unit technology.

In conjunction with the ConnectedDrive Services option, the navigation system Business can be used in future for the Concierge Services, Real Time Traffic Information and Remote Services. In order to establish the necessary online connections in an optimum manner, the new system uses the 3G standard for mobile telephone networks.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

C'est vrai. When I ordered x5 a few days ago I was able to build already with those forhcoming changes included, i.e. lane departure warning and tyre pressure monitor as standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
is this related to order or production or delivery?

When is Spring?

best wishes
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Production, I guess. The dealer had to switch date to 1.04.2014 when ordered to make those visible for ordering and to re-calculate the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue View Post
Production, I guess. The dealer had to switch date to 1.04.2014 when ordered to make those visible for ordering and to re-calculate the price.
I don't get this....Tyre Pressure Monitoring IS standard on my E70 and on my previous two 5 Series..what's the big deal?

Are BMW saying we have to re-order to have the additional specification..more questions than answers
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
2 types of tyre pressure monitoring
US - pressure sensors in each wheel
Europe - rotation comparison from ABS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #7
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Don't get it - nothings new? Certainly nothing worth holding back an order until Spring for. The EU spec F15 has all those features either as standard or an option, unless I've missed something?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Don't get it - nothings new? Certainly nothing worth holding back an order until Spring for. The EU spec F15 has all those features either as standard or an option, unless I've missed something?
Having only just ordered for end March production I've sent the PR to the dealer asking them for more information...waiting for an answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Does that mean navigation will be updated for April 2014 production? Anyone knows what this navi animations mean (no clue what is that). So nobody knows what are navigation animations?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:51 AM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Having only just ordered for end March production I've sent the PR to the dealer asking them for more information...waiting for an answer.
Dealer says it applies for vehicles produced from 1st April onwards.
So, not wishing to have my delivery pushed back 3-4 weeks and be potentially be seen as an April Fool, I'm sticking with current order and delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #11
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Dealer says it applies for vehicles produced from 1st April onwards.
So, not wishing to have my delivery pushed back 3-4 weeks and be potentially be seen as an April Fool, I'm sticking with current order and delivery.
I wouldn't wait, but I'm impatient. If I read it right the only change for the X5 is Driving Assistant becomes standard, and there may or may not be a change to the Nav Pro CPU. It's not clear really as most of the features are already on the X5 so is probably just referring to the rest of the range.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

As for tyre pressure monitor. Don't know about US but in the European F15 the sensor fitted so far has not been the one that would give you exact pressure figures separately for each tire. You would only see all tyres as green, yellow or red but you would not know which tyre lost pressure and how much. Now, after 1 April European F15 will get a tyre pressure monitor that will indicate exact pressure for each wheel.

And lane departure as standard. That is basically it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue
As for tyre pressure monitor. Don't know about US but in the European F15 the sensor fitted so far has not been the one that would give you exact pressure figures separately for each tire. You would only see all tyres as green, yellow or red but you would not know which tyre lost pressure and how much. Now, after 1 April European F15 will get a tyre pressure monitor that will indicate exact pressure for each wheel.

In the US, we get measured pressure by wheel standard.

Not sure if there's really anything in here for the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Isn't navigation screen getting bigger or am I missing something?
16.5 inch vs 10.2 inch existing??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas View Post
Isn't navigation screen getting bigger or am I missing something?
16.5 inch vs 10.2 inch existing??
It's a typo. Should read "10.5" ...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
It's a typo. Should read "10.5" ...
...which would still be larger than the current 10.2. i asked about this from my dealer as my car will be built in April and have the tire pressure monitors built then, but havent gotten an answer.

I think its a typo 16.5 cm -> 6.5 inch standard BMW screen.

Last edited by kip1; 01-25-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
...which would still be larger than the current 10.2. i asked about this from my dealer as my car will be built in April and have the tire pressure monitors built then, but havent gotten an answer.
My ca says tire pressure monitor is already standard. Not true?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:38 AM   #18
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

true. US vs EU difference. Kip1 is from this side of the Atlantique ;-).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #19
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post

Does your F15 actually have a readout where (when the screen is brought up) it has a number for the tire pressure of each tire?

someguy
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post

Does your F15 actually have a readout where (when the screen is brought up) it has a number for the tire pressure of each tire?
Yes- at all four corners. I just switched out my RFTs and have been paying extra close attention!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
copello
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 40e

Any more udpates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantiQue

I have just completed my order for a european f15 x25d supposed to be delivered by
Mid may.
I guess that will be too early to benefit from all these enhancements....
Any more updates on the expected new navigation system on x5? The text wasn't that clear not that point....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #22
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep

Your dealer should already be able to build your order according to new specification. Production will be April (the earliest) and delivery accordingly later but if you do not mind waiting one month longer... You would get advanced tyre pressure monitor and lane departure (5AS) as standard so the build should be around 500-600 EUR cheaper, too. That was my case.
Appreciate 0