First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
F85 X5M - advice on some annoyances

Hi all,

I have had a couple of things annoy me recently on the X5M that I wanted to get some further information before I take it to local dealer (as under warranty).

Firstly I have suffered from the well known blocked sunroof drains, I was going to look at this myself but thought I would leave it to the dealer. Is there anything specific (i.e. known problem or bulletin number etc) that I can inform them of as I know that even if common dealers do like to suggest it not being a known problem until you provide further information....

Secondly I have noticed an in and out drone type noise when in Sport+ when at low revs and relatively low speed (20-40mph). You can hear in come and go as driving when maintaing consistent throttle. I tested this and it is also the case in Sport but not in economy. Is this exhaust related and normal?

Finally when using the air-con the unit itself it can get quite noisy compared to other models i have owned (F80 M3, F90 M5), are they like this generally in the F8* or are these liable for problems?

Thanks
      11-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I notice the drone as well. 2500RPM on the highway, usually 7th or 8th gear.

This happened in my F10 M5 but it was not as pronounced as in this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #3
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

On the AC, compared to other cars, anything past 2 bars sounds like a jet taking off. So i would say its normal.

I would be ok with the noise, if only it cooled the dam car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyca69 View Post
Hi all,

I have had a couple of things annoy me recently on the X5M that I wanted to get some further information before I take it to local dealer (as under warranty).

Firstly I have suffered from the well known blocked sunroof drains, I was going to look at this myself but thought I would leave it to the dealer. Is there anything specific (i.e. known problem or bulletin number etc) that I can inform them of as I know that even if common dealers do like to suggest it not being a known problem until you provide further information....

Secondly I have noticed an in and out drone type noise when in Sport+ when at low revs and relatively low speed (20-40mph). You can hear in come and go as driving when maintaing consistent throttle. I tested this and it is also the case in Sport but not in economy. Is this exhaust related and normal?

Finally when using the air-con the unit itself it can get quite noisy compared to other models i have owned (F80 M3, F90 M5), are they like this generally in the F8* or are these liable for problems?

Thanks
Are you still experiencing a little exhaust drone with the stock system? Wondering if you made any adjustments.
Appreciate 0