Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
why is that not a good idea?
Running a cold engine with cold oil for longer causes more wear. You want to circulate the oil and heat it up fast. The only reason to warm up a car is if it uses a carb.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #24
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Running a cold engine with cold oil for longer causes more wear. You want to circulate the oil and heat it up fast. The only reason to warm up a car is if it uses a carb.
Engine issues aside, I literally got frozen out of my M last winter. The door gaskets were all frozen and I did not force anything to open up.

If I had a remote start to thaw it out, I would have been fine. Not that it's an every day occurrence, but to my dismay it does happen.

IMO it's good to have if you really want to warm up or cool down the car. My next thought is can BimmerCode help me customize things even more when it is started. (heated/cooled seats/wheel, things like that) Gonna do some research on that.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #25
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

These engines need to be warmed up in winter for bearing life consideration. No load idle conditions are far less damaging to bearings then jumping in and going and getting into low rpm high load condition that come with turbo motors. Running a high quality, low temp/high flow viscosity oil like amsoil 5w50 will negate any cold start wear concerns.
Appreciate 1
unluky7517.50
      11-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #26
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Hopefully you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
These engines need to be warmed up in winter for bearing life consideration. No load idle conditions are far less damaging to bearings then jumping in and going and getting into low rpm high load condition that come with turbo motors. Running a high quality, low temp/high flow viscosity oil like amsoil 5w50 will negate any cold start wear concerns.
I've warmed up in the cold, idled for long times even when the engine is warm like while on errands running in and out of stores etc, and driven the piss out of every single vehicle I've driven. And they've all been purchased used except for one. In a weird way, I feel like the way I treated them (drove the shit out of them but always maintained and took care of them) enabled them to run better. Hopefully I have the same good fortune with this vehicle.

Worst case or if I want to make sure my wife is super comfortable, I'll remote start it. But most of the time it's a minute or two warm up then driving while keeping the RPMs between 1-2K until temp is at least at 160F. Then no more than 3K until up to operating temp which is about 206F and takes about 15 minutes in my M. (The warmup time kills me on short trips when I want to have a little fun but restrain myself...)

Last edited by Blue By You; 11-13-2021 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #27
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Just don't idle in the cold... https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...e-car-in-cold/

It Causes Engine Damage: Wondering why your check engine light is on? Could be due to engine damage from idling in the winter. "Idling your car in the cold not only wastes fuel, but it's also stripping oil from critical components that help your engine run, namely cylinders and pistons," says Stephen Ciatti, a mechanical engineer who oversees the combustion engine work at Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois. Less oil means more friction, more wear and tear, and a shorter life for your engine.

You Stay Colder, Longer: Despite the commonly held belief otherwise, your car actually heats up faster when you drive it (though this doesn't mean you should "floor it" right out of the driveway). Depending on driving conditions, it could take between 5 and 15 minutes for your engine to reach its optimum operating temperature, reports Business Insider, and you'll put undue stress on your engine if you gun it from the get-go.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #28
Trauma
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M

My Uncle had a 4.6is back in 2002, that had a way to set a time you wanted it warmed up every morning, and it would run an electric heater so it was all toasty when you left for work! I don't know how long that option existed, he didn't even now he had until I was going through his settings.

Last edited by Trauma; 11-14-2021 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #29
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Parked car ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
My Uncle had a 4.6is back in 2000, that had a way to set a time you wanted it warmed up every morning, and it would run an electric heater so it was all toasty when you left for work! I don't know how long that option existed, he didn't even now he had until I was going through his settings.
That's pretty cool!

I've never used it, but our F85s can do that with the parked car ventilation in the hot weather. It's not AC, just fan.

Maybe we can figure out how to do it with heat or AC too?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:47 PM   #30
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

I can schedule auto starts using the viper smart start app.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #31
Trauma
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M

Quote:
My Uncle had a 4.6is back in 2002, that had a way to set a time you wanted it warmed up every morning, and it would run an electric heater so it was all toasty when you left for work! I don't know how long that option existed, he didn't even now he had until I was going through his settings.
BTW - this was technically the first X5M, but when asked why it didn't get the M badge (until 2010):

As Martin Birkmann, series manager for 5 Series and X vehicles, explains, "It just did not feel right — it did not deliver the right driving experience," adding that M-badged vehicles are typically rear-drive only, have manual transmissions and have their torque peaks shifted nearer to redline.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #32
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Yup

Quote:
BTW - this was technically the first X5M, but when asked why it didn't get the M badge (until 2010):

As Martin Birkmann, series manager for 5 Series and X vehicles, explains, "It just did not feel right — it did not deliver the right driving experience," adding that M-badged vehicles are typically rear-drive only, have manual transmissions and have their torque peaks shifted nearer to redline.
I had the same exact vehicle, bought a used 2002 X5 4.6is and put some Dinan S2 package and Eibach sway bars among some other things into it. Had it on the track and had a lot of fun and badassery in that rig.

Mine was all Black Sapphire Metallic over black leather. Tinted it then chromed the wheels to be different. (Now I can't stand chrome, my M is all blacked out.) I also had that badass Viper remote (whatever the earlier version was) that KLR has in his M now.

Amazing that it was 5,127lbs and only had 340hp back then.

Last edited by Blue By You; 11-14-2021 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #33
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

This one will do the job.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #34
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Seems to do same things "mybmw" app does, for $800 and is about size of cell phone…dunno…just sayin!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #35
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
Seems to do same things "mybmw" app does, for $800 and is about size of cell phone…dunno…just sayin!
Same size with bmw remote which comes with i8 and 7 series! And pretty cheap being $800 considering by passing all the BDC body ISN with their system. Plus way better than many "OEM" Retrofit solution which causes you to leave the original car key hidden somewhere in the vehicle in order to start.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:17 AM   #36
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
I missed the point of it being an remote start "fob"…still too big though. And it reading more completely , is not comparable with 2018 X5///M
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #37
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Same size with bmw remote which comes with i8 and 7 series! And pretty cheap being $800 considering by passing all the BDC body ISN with their system. Plus way better than many "OEM" Retrofit solution which causes you to leave the original car key hidden somewhere in the vehicle in order to start.
I looked into these system from Ali Express. They are flaky at best, and still require you to have a key programed and installed in a relay box. The fob is also fake, not oem smart key just a clone running a different android os. Plus good luck finding and installer to support it if you cannot diy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #38
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
I looked into these system from Ali Express. They are flaky at best, and still require you to have a key programed and installed in a relay box. The fob is also fake, not oem smart key just a clone running a different android os. Plus good luck finding and installer to support it if you cannot diy.
Where do you see this info that your vehicle needs spare key to be made by Lock Smith and put inside the car ?

I think you are confused by other products. This one comes with all necessary connections PnP, you hook up to BDC and the device reads all the info and activates remote start. Plus BDC has all the ISN info, once you get the EEPROM data you are into the EWS system.

To me it is pretty easy job to put this device in place. It shouldnt take more than 1 hour.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #39
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Where do you see this info that your vehicle needs spare key to be made by Lock Smith and put inside the car ?

I think you are confused by other products. This one comes with all necessary connections PnP, you hook up to BDC and the device reads all the info and activates remote start. Plus BDC has all the ISN info, once you get the EEPROM data you are into the EWS system.

To me it is pretty easy job to put this device in place. It shouldn't take more than 1 hour.
Where are you getting info that is does what you say? Did the manufacturer provide? When I reached out this time last year to a number of these "smart key" style vendors, they all confirmed that a key was required. I even have full install instructions that say so. Moreover, from some people who tested, they noted it also disables the factory comfort access functions, and would intermittently not open the door either. Maybe this is a new version that has finally added built in a immobilizer bypass, but unlikely. If you want to buy and try for the good of the community , happy to see it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #40
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Where are you getting info that is does what you say? Did the manufacturer provide? When I reached out this time last year to a number of these "smart key" style vendors, they all confirmed that a key was required. I even have full install instructions that say so. Moreover, from some people who tested, they noted it also disables the factory comfort access functions, and would intermittently not open the door either. Maybe this is a new version that has finally added built in a immobilizer bypass, but unlikely. If you want to buy and try for the good of the community , happy to see it.
I never installed after market modules or units to my vehicles. If only i can retrofit OEM integration then i might. I was just trying to help for someone who is looking for remote start. I live in So FL, Remote start is not really a priority. If i was living in cold climate places, i would definitely consider tho!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0