BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Too much effort to sound the horn

I have to put an effort to sound the horn - kinda pound on the steering horn. It's been like this since I got the vehicle. It's not a good experience in an emergency. I can hardly make a bleep, it blares when the horn is pressed and requires effort. Is there some adjustment on the steering horn that can be made? My other vehicles require little effort, requiring only lightly tapping the horn to make it sound right away, getting a bleep or blare in a controlled fashion.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

It's because the horn switch isn't directly connected to the horn. The signal goes to a computer and then it decides when it should sound the horn. Such a stupid design. There is definitely a lag between pressing the horn and the horn making a sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
I have to put an effort to sound the horn - kinda pound on the steering horn. It's been like this since I got the vehicle. It's not a good experience in an emergency. I can hardly make a bleep, it blares when the horn is pressed and requires effort. Is there some adjustment on the steering horn that can be made? My other vehicles require little effort, requiring only lightly tapping the horn to make it sound right away, getting a bleep or blare in a controlled fashion.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
X5MNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M

Quote:
Similar issue here, when someone does not go on a green light i would like to make a gentle short horn sound but when i tap lightly it doesn't register so i end up making a gtfo my way horn and people in front grills me
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      11-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MNY View Post
Similar issue here, when someone does not go on a green light i would like to make a gentle short horn sound but when i tap lightly it doesn't register so i end up making a gtfo my way horn and people in front grills me
Exactly, the issue is not the time lag but simply one has to apply unusual force to sound the horn, and it ends up blaring as you point out. I'll call BMW Seattle shop foreman for his thoughts. There's got to be some sort of adjustment that can be done. These videos may hold a clue in terms of possible adjustment to the horn mechanism.

Last edited by musa; 11-17-2021 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

It is a delay, nothing force related

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1043766
Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      11-17-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
It is a delay, nothing force related

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1043766
My experience is totally different than described in that post. If I apply a quick force, i.e. a quick punch at the horn, it sounds immediately - no delay. If I tap it, i.e. apply a light quick press with no force, the horn does not sound at all. What I'd want is not to punch it but tap it lightly, as happens with my E53 X5, E92 and E39. On those vehicles, just a quick light tap delivers a gentle, short bleep sound, and to blare the horn, you simply press and hold. From the pics of the F series steering horn mechanism as seen with the airbag removed, there's a spring between the contact points and a screw that holds them together (not too different from the above BMW 3 series E46 videos). I think that spring or the screw holds the key to resolving this issue.

Last edited by musa; 11-18-2021 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Same

Quote:
My experience is totally different than described in that post. If I apply a quick force, i.e. a quick punch at the horn, it sounds immediately - no delay. If I tap it, i.e. apply a light quick press with no force, the horn does not sound at all. What I'd want is not to punch it but tap it lightly, as happens with my E53 X5, E92 and E39. On those vehicles, just a quick light tap delivers a gentle, short bleep sound, and to blare the horn, you simply press and hold. From the pics of the F series steering horn mechanism as seen with the airbag removed, there's a spring between the contact points and a screw that holds them together (not too different from the above BMW 3 series E46 videos). I think that spring or the screw holds the key to resolving this issue.
Mine is pretty responsive too, never noticed anything weird about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:58 PM   #8
Daniel BBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
I have the same issue. Mine is a M5 F10 2014. It is just impossible to bleeb and you do have to put a effort, tapping doesn´t work. Absolutely no controlled fashion. I would love a solution for that.
Appreciate 0