BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Long awaited for tranny fluid change

Well yall been asking, so i figured yall should receive 😁😁😁🤣, tranny fluid change, pan drop, filter replacement, and fill to spec: so my f85 has around 60k miles on it, i just recently got it so i am doing all the fluids, filters, paint correction, etc. I decided to replace my tranny fluid today, got the vehicle leveled (very important), took out the drain bolt, drained about 5-5.5qts, then pulled the pan, then filter, and let it sit and drip, then cleaned everything, reinstalled the filter, then got the pan back on, torqued new bolts to spec, then it was time to fill, so you fill fluid (lifeguard8) till it starts coming out of the fill plug, then you turn the car on and again promptly fill till fluid comes out, then with the car running you get in and hold it at 2000rpm for 30 sec, then change gears while holding the brake pedal, then get back under, undo the fill plug, fill till fluid comes out again, check temp, make sure it’s between 30-50c, then tighten and youre good to go. I will do another drain and fill in 5-10k miles, but thats about it.

Fluid that came out wasn’t abnormally dark or smelled burnt. But definitely much darker than fresh zf fluid. Ive noticed good bit of metal dust stuck to the magnets in the filter, but in my experience this is average amount, no chunks or pieces or any debris/bits in the pan or filter, so everything seems to be healthy visually as far as i can Tell. Otherwise not bad of a job at all, worst part was tranny fill and trying to catch the proper level within required temp threshold.
Doing my part in properly maintaining the beast 😁😁😁
Follow me for more diy projects and stay safe out there !

PS let me know if yall need my diy on diffs and tcase fluid replacement
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
musa421.50
mstgeer29.00
      11-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

I spy a e39 m5
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
I spy a e39 m5
Lol yup shes there 👀👀😁
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      11-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Thank you, that was really useful. Several DIY write ups/videos on the f15 transmission, but none for the F85. Can you share a link to the parts? Your box says ZF, but I wasn't aware there were non-BMW branded kits available for the F85.

Please do share your DIY account for tcase & differentials.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Any shifting change after the trans service, or is it just the same as before? Did you have to clear any adaptation values? I had this service done by the dealer (just as a preventative maintenance) and the shifting was not as smooth as before the change. Took it back and they said it will smoothen out with time as the trans adapts to the new fluid; well, it hasn't to date. Asked them to recheck fluid level and they reported back it's all good. This is a highly reputed dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Thank you, that was really useful. Several DIY write ups/videos on the f15 transmission, but none for the F85. Can you share a link to the parts? Your box says ZF, but I wasn't aware there were non-BMW branded kits available for the F85.

Please do share your DIY account for tcase & differentials.
Yep, https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...zf-24007855263

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Any shifting change after the trans service, or is it just the same as before? Did you have to clear any adaptation values? I had this service done by the dealer (just as a preventative maintenance) and the shifting was not as smooth as before the change. Took it back and they said it will smoothen out with time as the trans adapts to the new fluid; well, it hasn't to date. Asked them to recheck fluid level and they reported back it's all good. This is a highly reputed dealership.
Look into the Adaptation Reset. Not sure if a regular scanner can do it, but ISTA/dealer can.

Its a 2x part process.
  1. Adaptation Reset
  2. Drive around specifically. Accelerate to approx. 100km at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, and coast to stop. Don't use brakes and do it on a flat surface.
    • if you don't do the 2nd part, it will adapt eventually and smooth out.

Have a quick search, there are heaps of thread of people having the same issue post oil change. After the adaptation reset, and the issues went away.

Last edited by Chilled; 11-15-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
musa421.50
      11-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Honestly id say it feels smoother overall but im sure this is just a placebo. I haven’t reset adaptations yet, my ecus are out of the car for bench tuning, but i will run by my friends shop once the car is put together and drivable again. My plan also is to do another drain and fill in a couple thousand of miles to ensure 80-90% of fluid been replaced
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Hey question, do you know what the difference between the pan temp and the oil? It's more of a curiosity.

When I did mine, I couldn't find my IR to play with.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 06:49 AM   #9
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

dentprotony@gmail.com how does the filter attach to the underside of the transmission? Does it just pop in enough to not fall out and the circle indents inside the pan hold it from falling out once the pan is in place?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 07:07 AM   #10
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
dentprotony@gmail.com how does the filter attach to the underside of the transmission? Does it just pop in enough to not fall out and the circle indents inside the pan hold it from falling out once the pan is in place?
It just pops in, and is held in place by the filters o-ring. Make sure the old o-ring is not stuck in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

Quote:
I encountered this also. After I performed a pan drop, new filter, new gasket, and refill that the transmission was not as smooth as it was prior even with resetting adaptions and driving as recommended.

It wasn't until I performed a round two (simple fluid drain and fill) and following the refill procedure temperature, shift, and RPM requirements perfectly that it completely turned around.

I planned to do two rounds anyway because of the inability to get all fluid out in one go. Waited ~2k miles second time and it's perfect.
Appreciate 0