BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #23
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F85 X5M

Just an update to this thread, took the car to the dealer to check the issue. They’ve isolated it to the transfer case. Currently they are leaning on replacing the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:13 AM   #24
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Keep us posted, my noise was cured by fluid change, but i done diffs, tranny and tcase all at the same time so not sure what fixed the whine lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #25
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentprotony@gmail.com View Post
Keep us posted, my noise was cured by fluid change, but i done diffs, tranny and tcase all at the same time so not sure what fixed the whine lol
I’m sure that will fix it but it’s a “lifetime” fluid so let’s see the outcome on Monday. I’m not sure I want a new transfer box or to tell them to change the fluids…I’m on the last leg of my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:17 PM   #26
kkowalsk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i - Sport Manual

Just got my car back tonight all shined up after being at the dealer for almost 6 weeks and the WHINE IS GONE!!! Parts took forever to get in.

Since it had a leak they replaced the trans output seals, transfer case input seals and transfer case mount bushing.

New fluid in the transfer case and topped off the trans.

While it was there both rear bags started leaking which they were able to replace under my CPO warranty by surprise.

Also replaced the rear brakes that lagged behind the fronts that were done a couple months back.

All in all I just had to pay for the transfer case mount bushing as that is concerned a wear item.

Really happy to have her back home! After being gone that long it was like getting a new car!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #27
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like BMW USA has approved the transfer case replacement. The part is on back order though, so only time will tell when it will get done. Hopefully not 6 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #28
nishfish87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishfish87 View Post
Looks like BMW USA has approved the transfer case replacement. The part is on back order though, so only time will tell when it will get done. Hopefully not 6 weeks!
Transfer case replaced and sound is gone!
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #29
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

I have the faintest whine in my M. But I've replaced transfer case and tranny fluids.

The issue I'm having is a subtle vibration/shudder that starts around 80 and becomes more pronounced at 100 and beyond. It's rotational and happens in D and N on any kind of roads. (I've ruled out road chatter)

My wheels and tires are true/in great condition and dealer says that everything looks great. But I suspect that something might be starting, like a wheel bearing, bushing, carrier bearing, pinion bearing, drive shaft, or the transfer case itself.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #30
kkowalsk
Private
United_States
Rep

Transfer case fun is back.

After dealer replaced transmission output seal and all transfer case seals discovered the transfer case is still leaking only after 5k miles and 3months.

Now 3mo out of warranty they claim it’s the case half seal and requires a replacement. $6,700!! It’s not damaged however they don’t crack open the cases to reseal.

Darn car was in 4X for driveline noises and this leak at different dealers to finally get them to fix it which didn’t work.

Flipping frustrating. Hoping BMW steps up to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #31
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Wow this is crazy.. they should deff pick this up as u were there4x already for something and they tried to fix it and didn't so I'm sure they'll pick up the cost
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #32
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Don't mean to steal the thread and I'm deff tagging along but can anyone steer me into a diy fluids change? I would never trust any stealership and like to do everything at a friends shop this way I know shit is getting done right..thanks for any info
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #33
kkowalsk
Private
United_States
Rep

Success!!

Dealer and BMW was able to get my transfer case replaced under Goodwill Warranty and she is back home.

I had documentation showing prior service complaints for drivetrain noise and repairs that helped cover it completely.

My service manager also sent me this table of BMW's Goodwill Reimbursement that I hadn't seen before. It defines what dealers are able to cover if they see fit. Lesson learned is the dealers have the authority to cover out of warranty based on this chart. In my case they can also request to their regional managers additional coverage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #34
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkowalsk View Post
Success!!

Dealer and BMW was able to get my transfer case replaced under Goodwill Warranty and she is back home.

I had documentation showing prior service complaints for drivetrain noise and repairs that helped cover it completely.

My service manager also sent me this table of BMW's Goodwill Reimbursement that I hadn't seen before. It defines what dealers are able to cover if they see fit. Lesson learned is the dealers have the authority to cover out of warranty based on this chart. In my case they can also request to their regional managers additional coverage.
I still have a tiny bit of whine but it's not getting any worse and 3 shops have told me it's normal sound. (Along with whirring sounds with AC/climate control despite replacing blower motor)

But if you have any supporting documentation that I could use to enforce further investigation, please let me know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:55 AM   #35
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I've just taken my F85 on it's first long roadtrip and I've got a drivetrain whine on deceleration. Had not noticed it for months prior so I think it's new. Thinking I'll replace all drivetrain fluids.

I also have the climate control fan motor whine, but that's easy for me to turn off.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #36
MD in CT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
I just did my 35K service and the rear differential fluid flush was part of it.
I'm curious if that's really a standard part of the service or if they did it because it was leaking?
I only say this because why not do both? And replacing under carriage fluids before 50k seems way too generous for any dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #37
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Whines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoHeff View Post
I've just taken my F85 on it's first long roadtrip and I've got a drivetrain whine on deceleration. Had not notified it for months prior so I think it's new. Thinking I'll replace all drivetrain fluids.

I also have the climate control fan motor whine, but that's easy for me to turn off.
I also posted an update on the TC thread about this.

Regardless of fluid replacement, my deceleration whine persists. Going to have TC evaluated at dealer now that my mechanic has finally verified that it is present.

Had my blower fan replaced and whining persisted. Mechanic is going to replace AC compressor since he also verified that the noise is (only) present with AC on.

I have documented this stuff early and often so that they know a) it's potentially a real issue, b) they are compelled to cover me under warranty and/or do whatever they can for me when something is repaired or replace, c) I have a paper trail to fight if they withhold any service.

Hope that helps anyone on here.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #38
CryptoHeff
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Quote:
I've just taken my F85 on it's first long roadtrip and I've got a drivetrain whine on deceleration. Had not notified it for months prior so I think it's new. Thinking I'll replace all drivetrain fluids.

I also posted an update on the TC thread about this.

Regardless of fluid replacement, my deceleration whine persists. Going to have TC evaluated at dealer now that my mechanic has finally verified that it is present.

Had my blower fan replaced and whining persisted. Mechanic is going to replace AC compressor since he also verified that the noise is (only) present with AC on.

I have documented this stuff early and often so that they know a) it's potentially a real issue, b) they are compelled to cover me under warranty and/or do whatever they can for me when something is repaired or replace, c) I have a paper trail to fight if they withhold any service.

Hope that helps anyone on here.
Thanks for the update. It is helpful.

My blower fan whine happens with the fan on at low fan speeds, regardless of if the air con is on. And also changes pitch based on engine revs.

Does you deceleration whine happen all the time? Mine doesn't - it seems to be totally random and seems to coincide with the occasional knock in the rear end that sounds like a bush or something underneath. I took the car to a mate's place to have a listen and it made neither sound in about 30 minutes of driving. Typical.

Keep us posted with how you go and I'll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 06:05 AM   #39
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Driveline Whine

Quote:
Thanks for the update. It is helpful.

My blower fan whine happens with the fan on at low fan speeds, regardless of if the air con is on. And also changes pitch based on engine revs.

Does you deceleration whine happen all the time? Mine doesn't - it seems to be totally random and seems to coincide with the occasional knock in the rear end that sounds like a bush or something underneath. I took the car to a mate's place to have a listen and it made neither sound in about 30 minutes of driving. Typical.

Keep us posted with how you go and I'll do the same.
Mine is more of a whistle on the highway when I let off the gas. Keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #40
11earl
Private
Rep
Drives: Don. Grey/Mugello Red X5 M

Quote:
Mine is more of a whistle on the highway when I let off the gas. Keep you guys posted.
My '16 X5 M seems to be similarly behaving. Any chance you remedied this whistle?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 08:33 PM   #41
11earl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11earl View Post
My '16 X5 M seems to be similarly behaving. Any chance you remedied this whistle?
Just a little bump thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #42
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

I have 2018 F85 and notice the same thing. Only have about 51k on the car. Thought it was the blower but even with AC off I can hear the whine during deceleration but not during acceleration.
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:13 PM   #43
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Driveshaft? I had several customers with vibration issues that were currf by replacing the driveshaft

Quote:
I have the faintest whine in my M. But I've replaced transfer case and tranny fluids.

The issue I'm having is a subtle vibration/shudder that starts around 80 and becomes more pronounced at 100 and beyond. It's rotational and happens in D and N on any kind of roads. (I've ruled out road chatter)

My wheels and tires are true/in great condition and dealer says that everything looks great. But I suspect that something might be starting, like a wheel bearing, bushing, carrier bearing, pinion bearing, drive shaft, or the transfer case itself.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 07:49 AM   #44
11earl
Private
Rep

For my case, I just figured it out.

My indy mechanic changed the differential and transfer case fluids a handful of months ago. I thought, you know I think the whine started then. I called and ask them if they did the reset procedure and they were luck, ah no. So I just had them run it, and the whine over 80 mph while coasting is gone.
Appreciate 0