BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

New Dinan Flash Tune for F85

My indy mentioned that Dinan is working on some new flash tunes for older models like ours. He recommends the flash tune over the Dinantronics modules currently available. But he also said that Dinan will not tell him anything about them including nothing about timing.

Does anyone have information on when we might expect a flash tune from Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...2016-2019-x6m/
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
I appreciate the reminder on this. They only install locally, but I will try to finagle a remote installation at my indy who is also a Dinan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Much appreciated

Quote:
So my reticular activation remembered seeing a Carbahn logo at my indy shop the other day when I got my Dinan CAI installed.

You posted this and I contacted my indy and left a message for Carbahn to see if they would work together on my installation. Crazy enough, my indy IS a Carbahn dealer, but for some reason they're not listed on the website!

So thank you again. Assuming they're authorized, they have the tablets in stock and can install the software for me. Not only did you help me, but you helped them get my business and even future business by getting formally listed on the site.

Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
JasonDavis
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Quote:
I appreciate the reminder on this. They only install locally, but I will try to finagle a remote installation at my indy who is also a Dinan dealer.
You can install yourself; that is the most confusing part about the site, it says you need to have someone flash it for you, but they send the flasher and you update it, plug it into the OBDII port, download your F85 info into the flasher, take that back to the computer, email that info to CarBahnAuto, they'll tune it and send it back, you load it onto the tuner, plug that back into the car, reflash, and you're done.
Total time investment was about 2.5 hours. Hardest thing for me was finding a Windows computer.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
You can install yourself; that is the most confusing part about the site, it says you need to have someone flash it for you, but they send the flasher and you update it, plug it into the OBDII port, download your F85 info into the flasher, take that back to the computer, email that info to CarBahnAuto, they'll tune it and send it back, you load it onto the tuner, plug that back into the car, reflash, and you're done.
Total time investment was about 2.5 hours. Hardest thing for me was finding a Windows computer.
And what do you think about the upgraded valve springs they offer?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
JasonDavis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Quote:
And what do you think about the upgraded valve springs they offer?
I'm interested yet curious in why they weren't offered under the Dinan brand and why no one else mentioned them as a weak spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Quote from my Indy

Quote:
I'm interested yet curious in why they weren't offered under the Dinan brand and why no one else mentioned them as a weak spot.
Dinan/Carbahn dealer and 25Y BMW guy:

"Nice upgrade but they are not needed at stage 1 tune levels. Installing those involves removal of the engine followed by removal of the cylinder heads. Ballpark estimate would be $8-10K to install those and replace the associated fluids and gaskets required."

Glad to hear and hard no for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #9
JasonDavis
Rep

It's odd that the Stage 2 for F85 under Dinan is the only stage for under the CarBahnAuto. Same numbers and performance. Pairs nice with the intake.
Appreciate 0