11-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
dropped half a second off 0-60mph

2018 X5M bone stock 24k miles.

Tried 0-60mph with my dragy and best stock using Launch Control was a little over 4 seconds with the 1-foot rollout and without rollout like 4.4 seconds which is off BMW's advertised time of 3.9 seconds. I was pretty perplexed until I started watching some YouTube vids and this dude mod2fame got the same times that I did stock so figured this car is just a little slower than advertised. Most manufacturers use the rollout time so 4.1 vs 3.9 is not terrible plus I was using 91 octane.

Anyway my buddy has had very good success with his RaceChips on his otherwise stock M5. Mid 10's all day and high 150's at airstrip events and runs flawless zero codes.

I use this X5M for carrying surfboards and occasional offroad so it doesnt need to be that fast. Just want the advertised performance numbers without the hassles of potential codes and Install / de-install needs to be easy and take 5 minutes. So I got the RaceChips GTS Black super easy install and remove when I go to the dealer for service. And easy to set maps with the iPhone app. Car is a lot quicker now. I've driven it a few thousand miles with zero issues and today was my first time 0-60 attempt after filling my tank with 91 octane plus 3 gallons of e85 from my local Chevron.

First attempt did 0-60 of 3.58 seconds with the 1-foot rollout. Feels pretty quick now. Sure it could be faster with a custom flash tune but I dont need the hassle. RaceChips is a nice "set it and forget it" tune for sure.

Cheers.
Attached Images

a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

Tried 0-60mph with my dragy and best stock using Launch Control was a little over 4 seconds with the 1-foot rollout and without rollout like 4.4 seconds which is off BMW's advertised time of 3.9 seconds. I was pretty perplexed until I started watching some YouTube vids and this dude mod2fame got the same times that I did stock so figured this car is just a little slower than advertised. Most manufacturers use the rollout time so 4.1 vs 3.9 is not terrible plus I was using 91 octane.

Anyway my buddy has had very good success with his RaceChips on his otherwise stock M5. Mid 10's all day and high 150's at airstrip events and runs flawless zero codes.

I use this X5M for carrying surfboards and occasional offroad so it doesnt need to be that fast. Just want the advertised performance numbers without the hassles of potential codes and Install / de-install needs to be easy and take 5 minutes. So I got the RaceChips GTS Black super easy install and remove when I go to the dealer for service. And easy to set maps with the iPhone app. Car is a lot quicker now. I've driven it a few thousand miles with zero issues and today was my first time 0-60 attempt after filling my tank with 91 octane plus 3 gallons of e85 from my local Chevron.

First attempt did 0-60 of 3.58 seconds with the 1-foot rollout. Feels pretty quick now. Sure it could be faster with a custom flash tune but I dont need the hassle. RaceChips is a nice "set it and forget it" tune for sure.

Cheers.
I'm not that interested in actually going for my best 0-60 times, but I am curious about how much power and performance I'll be getting when I upgrade to the Dinan Stage II tune (with mandatory CAI installation) tomorrow.

FYI my vehicle came with a Dinan Stage I tune from the dealer and they CPOed it. I added a CPO wrap to it. Seems like the dealer is not phased by the tune, wondering if it's how seamless Dinan makes it or what...

Regardless, just chiming in because that's cool and I agree with you on the "set it and forget it" nature of tuning to save time and hassle.

Thanks for the update, good stuff.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Quote:

Cheers.
I'm not that interested in actually going for my best 0-60 times, but I am curious about how much power and performance I'll be getting when I upgrade to the Dinan Stage II tune (with mandatory CAI installation) tomorrow.

FYI my vehicle came with a Dinan Stage I tune from the dealer and they CPOed it. I added a CPO wrap to it. Seems like the dealer is not phased by the tune, wondering if it's how seamless Dinan makes it or what...

Regardless, just chiming in because that's cool and I agree with you on the "set it and forget it" nature of tuning to save time and hassle.

Thanks for the update, good stuff.
Awesome that it can be CPO'd with a dinan tune.

Mine was CPO'd at purchase. Contemplating whether to remove the RaceChips for dealer visits.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #4
x5mMege
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m /2016 GTR

Awesome times! Can you data log with the race chip?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mMege View Post
Awesome times! Can you data log with the race chip?
Good question, I doubt it as there is no Canbus integration so I don't see how it gets the data.

RaceChips is very open about working with them to troubleshoot and/or creating something customized. I haven't contacted them but perhaps others here have. They would need data to troubleshoot so not sure how they would get it.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
x5mMege
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks...I am sure their tunes are safe. I just want to see if there is any knock. We have crappy gas here and I have seen knock with a 93 octane tune using 94 octane (no ethanol).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
Blue By You
Major
Rep

CPO...

Quote:

Mine was CPO'd at purchase. Contemplating whether to remove the RaceChips for dealer visits.
So to my dismay, I was taken at the dealership and there is no Dinantronics module in my M. The joke is on me!

The bad news is that the dealer sold me a previously tuned car and apparently should not have CPOed it according to one of my indy shops. (Either the previous owner or the dealer must have removed it prior to resale)

The good news is that this thing screams in stock form and I can't wait to (overspend and) get the Stage II tune to match my CAI installed yesterday.

By the way, supposedly Dinan is working on a flash tune for the F85 and it will be cheaper and more reliable. But my indy had no insight on the timeline. I'll wait a while and see if they introduce it, and it it takes too long I'll get the Dinantronics Stage II.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So to my dismay, I was taken at the dealership and there is no Dinantronics module in my M. The joke is on me!

The bad news is that the dealer sold me a previously tuned car and apparently should not have CPOed it according to one of my indy shops. (Either the previous owner or the dealer must have removed it prior to resale)

The good news is that this thing screams in stock form and I can't wait to (overspend and) get the Stage II tune to match my CAI installed yesterday.

By the way, supposedly Dinan is working on a flash tune for the F85 and it will be cheaper and more reliable. But my indy had no insight on the timeline. I'll wait a while and see if they introduce it, and it it takes too long I'll get the Dinantronics Stage II.
Interesting.

Might not be a bad idea to pick up a dragy to benchmark your accel before and after so that you know your mods are working. You dont have to do 0-60mph....u can pick whatever range you want like 40-80mph.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Hmmm

Quote:
Interesting.

Might not be a bad idea to pick up a dragy to benchmark your accel before and after so that you know your mods are working. You dont have to do 0-60mph....u can pick whatever range you want like 40-80mph.
Definitely would be interesting to see the difference.

It had the Dinantronics Stage I in it. I wasn't happy about it, but glad it was Dinan since their tunes are more conservative.

I was already impressed with the power thinking the tune was still in there. But my indy went to program the upgrade to Stage II and there was no box.

Other than the extra money I need to spend to get the Stage II, I'm pleasantly surprised that this beast still has a ton more power on tap. I'll go with Dinan because I want a set it and forget it with a more conservative approach for longevity.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting.

Definitely would be interesting to see the difference.

It had the Dinantronics Stage I in it. I wasn't happy about it, but glad it was Dinan since their tunes are more conservative.

I was already impressed with the power thinking the tune was still in there. But my indy went to program the upgrade to Stage II and there was no box.

Other than the extra money I need to spend to get the Stage II, I'm pleasantly surprised that this beast still has a ton more power on tap. I'll go with Dinan because I want a set it and forget it with a more conservative approach for longevity.
I couldn't tell much difference seat-of-the-pants from stock to the RaceChips initially. There are three modes: street, sport and race. I just picked sport and drove it around for a couple thousand miles. Felt pretty much like stock on 91 fuel.

Then last week I switched to Race setting and drove a couple miles to the Chevron with pump e85 and put 3 gallons and then filled up the rest with 91. Ok yeah now it feels quite a bit faster...and from the dragy data it is much faster.

Does the Dinan box has different modes you can try?
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #11
JasonDavis
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Check out CarbahnAuto, which is Steve Dinan's new company - they have the F85 flash tuner. It is definitely cheaper and quicker as you don't have to install hardware.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mMege View Post
Thanks...I am sure their tunes are safe. I just want to see if there is any knock. We have crappy gas here and I have seen knock with a 93 octane tune using 94 octane (no ethanol).
Yeah that's one of the limitations of the RC for sure. My X5M is in California so 91 octane is the best we get and that can knock on stock tune. However I am lucky enough to have an Ethanol pump at a Chevron station 2 miles from home so a little E can help a lot. My M8 dyno'd stock right at 600hp crank. Custom flash tune on 91 around 640 crank and just e25 mix it made 730. So if i keep it with some E shouldnt be a problem with knock.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #13
x5mMege
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just bought my 2017 x5m with 30km and extended warranty as my winter car and promised not to modify it .... haha... looking to get a bit more power from the beast. I think I found a unit to log "BimmerLink" Adding Ethanol is really a game changer. looks like E25 is the max we can run with stock fuel pumps and injectors i would assume...thanks again
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

I totally get the 91 octane. I also had trouble running the published times as well.
My best stock is 4.26 and 3.8 with a 1'ft roll out

Stage 1 BM3 tune, my best time is 3.8 0-60 and 3.6 1 ft roll out.

The X5 doesn't launch hard off the line but I notice the gear changes while in LC mode are very firm and aggressive.

I look at trap speeds now for the 1/4 mile to see how much my top end if improving and if I have the room 60-130.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #15
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroVR4 View Post
I totally get the 91 octane. I also had trouble running the published times as well.
My best stock is 4.26 and 3.8 with a 1'ft roll out

Stage 1 BM3 tune, my best time is 3.8 0-60 and 3.6 1 ft roll out.

The X5 doesn't launch hard off the line but I notice the gear changes while in LC mode are very firm and aggressive.

I look at trap speeds now for the 1/4 mile to see how much my top end if improving and if I have the room 60-130.
Do u have stock and tuned 60-130 and 1/4 mile? Agree that's a much better indication of power improvement.
a couple others
Appreciate 0